Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-21, 02:50 PM  
alisoncooks

Thanks again, everyone.

Yesterday I wore a sleeve-type brace and it was okay, but snug around the calf and pressing across the arch. Today, I broke out my old-school ACE bandage and DIYed it. Success! Amazing how comfortable it was. Not sure I did it properly but it felt supportive and not too squeezey, so I'd call that good.

Tomorrow, my teens and I have an outing planned with a fair bit of walking. I think I'll be okay if I take it slow and controlled and keep to paved/flat ground. And wear the ACE!

ETA: just watched this video and that's exactly how I wrapped it. So I do actually remember something from high school, haha.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGFznb-5jTo
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-21, 08:24 AM  
antbuko

So sorry to hear about your injury! My ankle rolls too and I wound up breaking my foot a few years back. I was wearing my favorite clogs at the time, which had a platform, but I've since switched to only shoes that tie. I noticed that even in flat loafers my ankle would roll, so no more mules, clogs or loafers for me. Oh, and high heels too. Gave them up about seven years ago.
Old 03-23-21, 09:02 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yesterday I wore a sleeve-type brace and it was okay, but snug around the calf and pressing across the arch. Today, I broke out my old-school ACE bandage and DIYed it. Success! Amazing how comfortable it was. Not sure I did it properly but it felt supportive and not too squeezey, so I'd call that good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGFznb-5jTo
Yes, fit is very important. I like something that just provides a bit of extra support, not just for the extra stability but for the bit of pressure as well. If it's not comfortable, I listen to my body and don't wear it. I think a brace should feel like a caring hug, not a submission hold.

I think tight braces slow healing by preventing circulation to the area. But take that with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion - I have no citations to offer for it.

Body awareness is step one of healing/dealing with injuries, so always use/wear what feels right to you. If you get sick of wrapping the Ace bandage you can always look for ankle sleeves offered in multiple sizes to find one that fits you better. I recently found one I like at Decathlon that is made in 4 different sizes. I don't think you have that chain in the US, but I'm sure you have something similar.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 01:30 PM  
ChelePA

Caroline Jordan has a new Hurt Foot Fitness Program.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankle, ankle injury, ankle sprain, ankles, injury, sprain