Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-21, 09:32 PM  
alisoncooks

Sprained my ankle today...

...standing still. Seriously.

I shifted my weight to get ready to take a step, and my ankle rolled right out from me. If I hadn't caught myself against the kitchen table, I'd have fallen down.

I mean, who does that?! (Me, obviously...)

I'm pretty sure this is confirms my chronic ankle instability (two bad, sports-related sprains in high school...and many turned ankles since).

I think this is the first when I've just been standing still, though! The main disappointment is: I felt great after my workout today. My plantar fasciitis is lessening and I was hoping to add walking back in next week.

Oh well. Thanks for listening to me whine. Feel free to share commiserating stories.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 09:39 PM  
Karla25

That stinks! You’re not alone :-) I throw out my back just putting forks/glasses in the dishwasher sometimes lol! It’s ridiculous.
Old 03-20-21, 10:00 PM  
Diana3271

I have also just been standing and turn my ankle. I have not fallen recently, but I am well known for falling down. Also, I don't fall down gracefully. No, I totally wipe out and would appear that I try to take everything out with me. LOL

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 10:03 PM  
ChelePA

I’m so sorry to hear that. I did something similar many many years ago. I played in a basketball league. I was literally standing talking to another teammate and turned around to ask someone else a question and sprained my ankle at that moment. I think it took several months for me to feel back to myself. Just recently, I broke my foot right in the beginning of the pandemic. Chair workouts were my best friend. Really helped get me through the stress and need for exercise. I learned to adapt some kickboxing workouts with weighted gloves as well as upper body weight workouts. Caroline Jordan on YouTube has many chair workouts. No music but she’s very positive and upbeat. Hoping you heal quickly!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 05:54 AM  
sbh

I've done the same thing. My left ankle has always been weak from spraining many times in the past. Last time I sprained it was on a dog walk and we were no where near home. I hope you heal quickly!!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 07:03 AM  
fanofladyvols

I'm sorry alisoncooks, that stinks!!

I hope you find a safe way to work around it and rest it so you can heal quickly.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 08:59 AM  
Lori_Michigan

You're not alone in this! I tore my meniscus just by doing a squat jump 6 weeks ago. Still not healed. Doctor told me yesterday that it could be another 12 weeks before it heals because of my age (I'm 47, she was probably 30). So, double ouch...

I too have also recently hurt my lower back just from picking up a weight off the floor and also hurt my hamstrings from just a light deadlift. I also reinjured my knee last weekend by getting up too quickly off the couch!

It's hell to get old...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 09:26 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Doctor told me yesterday that it could be another 12 weeks before it heals because of my age (I'm 47, she was probably 30). So, double ouch...
Haha. When I tore my ACL a few years back, my ortho surgeon told me that they normally don't do surgery for "middle-aged non-athletes."

What?! I was in my late-ish 30s! LOL.

My ankle feels alright today. Not much swelling, no bruising. It's just unstable -- tricks me into thinking it's fine, then it gives a good wobble and ouch! I wrapped it this morning and that seems to be helping. Staying home from church (DH and kids went -- house to myself, yay!) to ice and elevate it. I'm hoping that by babying it today, I'll be ready to walk on Tuesday (the girls and I had plans that involved lots of walking).
Old 03-21-21, 09:54 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Haha. When I tore my ACL a few years back, my ortho surgeon told me that they normally don't do surgery for "middle-aged non-athletes."

What?! I was in my late-ish 30s! LOL.

My ankle feels alright today. Not much swelling, no bruising. It's just unstable -- tricks me into thinking it's fine, then it gives a good wobble and ouch! I wrapped it this morning and that seems to be helping. Staying home from church (DH and kids went -- house to myself, yay!) to ice and elevate it. I'm hoping that by babying it today, I'll be ready to walk on Tuesday (the girls and I had plans that involved lots of walking).
So sorry you're dealing with this.

I am the queen of ankle sprains. I was a gymnast and I have a chronically ruptured ATF ligament in my right ankle. I suspect my left ankle has issues, too, but haven't had an MRI on it.

Do you have an injury that wasn't evaluated earlier in life? It's not normal to sprain an ankle just standing there. I've been able to avoid surgery by going to PT, and following up with a lot of balance work to strengthen my ankles.

Once you get back on your feet (literally), maybe start to incorporate some single leg stands and progress from there. You don't want to fall and break something in the future.

Hope you feel better soon.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 10:03 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Do you have an injury that wasn't evaluated earlier in life? It's not normal to sprain an ankle just standing there. I've been able to avoid surgery by going to PT, and following up with a lot of balance work to strengthen my ankles.

Once you get back on your feet (literally), maybe start to incorporate some single leg stands and progress from there. You don't want to fall and break something in the future.

Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks.

I had two pretty bad sprains in high school (from sports), within a year of each other. Ever since then, I've been prone to rolling it (every few years I seem to turn an ankle). Neither time had any sort of medical intervention, other than ice and wrapping and keep playing ASAP.

And I agree: balance and ankle strengthening are high on my priority list.

I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis lately -- I wondered if maybe I'd over-stretched that foot, making it more "loose" and easy to sprain. (Idk if that's even a thing...)

Tags
ankle, ankle injury, ankle sprain, ankles, injury, sprain