Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-21, 03:36 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Yikes! Sending you speedy healing vibes for your broken wrist....been there done that.

My ball is ancient so thank you for the warning. I will be getting rid of it!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 10:26 PM  
Karla25

What a nightmare! Thanks for the warning. I couldn’t even have imagined anything like that happening. {{Hugs}} I’m thinking of just going back to the basics of weights and steps after reading some of these comments.
Old 01-29-21, 11:06 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Years ago, I had bought Barry's Boot Camp which had one of those bean-style resistance balls.

While I was inflating the ball, it blew up in my face. Luckily, it was only air and no bits got into my eyes.

I think I wrote to them and they claimed I hadn't inflated it properly.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 11:06 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thank you for the warning and hope you heal quickly!

Just a couple of months ago, I used my very old (10+ years and I don't know if it was even anti burst) stability ball for a Cathe workout and decided right then and there I was going to replace it because it was an accident waiting to happen, and ordered a new extra thick/heavy and anti-burst one on amazon the same day. I feel much safer now. Still, I didn't think about how it could burst at the seam!
Old 01-29-21, 12:53 PM  
ChelePA

I also wanted to thank you for the warning. Hoping all goes well with surgery and a speedy recovery. My husband bought me a weight bench a few years ago. I definitely feel so much safer than a ball and much more comfortable than my step.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 02:29 PM  
warriorprincess

What do you look for in an exercise ball? I see one that says it can withstand a 2cm cut without explosively deflating. I guess that would be sufficient?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 04:08 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

frostyjan, I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish you a successful surgery and hope you heal quickly. Thank you for sharing your story.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 04:31 PM  
s2546

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the surgery. I hope you heal quuckly. I have often thought of this while holding 30lb weights but just assuming it must be ok. I got rid of the ball. Not worth taking a chance.

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 07:49 PM  
LAC

I'm sorry you got hurt, but I thank you for sharing your experience. After reading your post I searched out a few articles about swiss ball longevity and found a couple of recommendations that a ball in a gym be replaced every year or two, and that a ball in a home be replaced after 5 years. One site also recommended writing the date of purchase on your ball as a reminder of when to replace it. These are things I never really thought about before. I'd bet my ball is 10 - 15 years old. Way past time for a new one!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 07:54 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
One site also recommended writing the date of purchase on your ball as a reminder of when to replace it. These are things I never really thought about before. I'd bet my ball is 10 - 15 years old. Way past time for a new one!
That is a great idea. I don't know how old mine is, but I remember my dd bouncing on it when she was very little and we'd go over spelling words and it wasn't new then. She's in college now, so it's definitely way past its lifespan!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, anti-burst ball, injury, injury prevention, safety, stability ball