Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-20, 05:14 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Question Firm Basics rotation?

Does anyone remember what the original suggested rotation for the three Firm Basics workouts was? I found this on an earlier thread but it seems light for early Firms:

Day 1 - Sculpting with Weights
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Abs Buns & Thighs
Day 4 - Rest
Day 5 - Fat Burning
Day 6 & 7 - Rest

TIA!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 06:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Have you checked the Firm Compendium?

http://plcm.abitofperil.net/FBUltimateCompendium.pdf
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 08:45 PM  
fanofladyvols

Kate, that looks like a great introduction to focusing on strength, don't you think?

Joni's referral to the compendium is definitely the way to go to classify other firm workouts you want to use.

I did check the firm rotations I kept and they mix those in with other Firm workouts. I couldn't find anything that just used those but alternate those workouts because the basics you noted are either AWT or strength workouts.

I will say sometimes a rotation "looks" easier than my body says it is!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 01:04 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Have you checked the Firm Compendium?

http://plcm.abitofperil.net/FBUltimateCompendium.pdf
I was reading through this yesterday and remembering how incredibly tough that original 90 day rotation was IIRC, I made it through about 65 days and crashed.

I didn't see anything that focused on the Basics. Might give it a try mixing in some short n' easy runs on 2 of the rest days and see how it goes.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 01:10 PM  
kat999

I love the Basics set so much. I wonder if you could a rotation that combined the Basics and FIRM Express, since if you modify those down they're sort of quasi-beginner workouts (at least in terms of the time they take, just 20 minutes each DVD). The fact that they also go in cycles that ramp up the intensity is cool, and they each have a different focus (Cardio, Cardio/Sculpt, and Sculpt). The Basics are even easier but are 45 minutes long, so it could provide a nice counterbalance between HIIT and more classic AWT.
Old 08-22-20, 02:55 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I was reading through this yesterday and remembering how incredibly tough that original 90 day rotation was IIRC, I made it through about 65 days and crashed.

I didn't see anything that focused on the Basics. Might give it a try mixing in some short n' easy runs on 2 of the rest days and see how it goes.
I have a beginners’ version of the 90 day rotation that uses Firm Basics quite a lot. It’s on my laptop, so I’ll have to copy and paste it for you later.
Old 08-22-20, 02:59 PM  
firmaniac

I looked through my rotations, and didn't see a specific Basics version. Some later FIRM club rotations included them among other titles. I will add that rotating All the Basics is very enjoyable, which includes FIRM Basics Time Crunch Weights and Time Crunch Cardio.

These are complete 12 minute sessions, 4 to a disc. Weights rotates between upper and lower body days. The cast and music echo the Supers ( Crosstrainers Super Sculpting and Super Cardio) released in 1999. These Time Crunch Basics rotate well with the 1997 Basics trio.

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 03:35 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
I have a beginners’ version of the 90 day rotation that uses Firm Basics quite a lot. It’s on my laptop, so I’ll have to copy and paste it for you later.
I would love to have that rotation when you have a chance!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 07:21 PM  
mamaste

Here it is. I actually used this rotation to get into regular exercise. I love it and find it truly doable even for a complete beginner.

Lablover's All-FIRM Beginner/Intermediate Rotation

I remember how frustrating it felt when I was just starting out and it seemed like I'd never advance...so I took a quick look at the 90 day rotation and I've tried to create a modified Basics/intermediate rotation that uses most of the same icon principles. I hope this doesn't seem too overwhelming. Remember, these are just suggestions. You should modify where needed (either heavier or lighter). Also, if 6x a week is just too much. Feel free to pull out one or two workouts a week. Just take out the type of workout you are less focused on (i.e. if you want to increase strength, take out a hare/cardio workout and vice versa). Good luck!

*** Week 1 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- NSTA + Abs
3 -- Vol 4 (1/2-2/3 the weights you used in Basics SwW)
4 -- Basics ABT
5 -- Power Walk (30-40 min) + Abs
6 -- Vol 6 (1/2-2/3 the weights you used in Basics SwW)
7 -- rest

*** Week 2 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- Basics FB
3 -- NSTA + Abs
4 -- LBS with no ankle weights + Abs
5 -- Basics ABT
6 -- Basics FB
7 -- rest

*** Week 3 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- Power Walk (30-40 min) + Abs
3 -- rest
4 -- Basics ABT
5 -- NSTA + Abs
6 -- Vol 4 (1/2-2/3 weights used in Basics SwW)
7 -- rest

*** Week 4 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- Basics FB
3 -- Basics ABT
4 -- Basics FB
5 -- Basics ABT
6 -- Power Walk (30-40 min) + Abs
7 -- rest

*** Week 5 ***
REST -- continue doing abs, power walking, and stretching

*** Week 6 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- NSTA + Abs
3 -- Vol 4 (if you feel strong, try upping poundage)
4 -- Power Walk (30-40 min) + Abs
5 -- PPLB
6 -- Tri-Trainers FB (modify as needed)
7 -- rest

CHECK: How are you feeling? Exhausted or weak? If so, repeat weeks 1-6 again.

*** Week 7 ***
1 -- Basics ABT
2 -- Bascis FB
3 -- NSTA + Abs
4 -- Basics FB
5 -- TT2 (with no weights)
6 -- Power Walk (30-40 min)
7 -- rest

*** Week 8 ***
1 -- PPFB + LBS
2 -- Vol 6 (if you feel strong, try upping poundage)
3 -- rest
4 -- Vol 4
5 -- PPLB
6 -- Power Walk (30-40 min) +Abs
7 -- rest

*** Week 9 ***
REST -- keep up abs, power walking and stretching

*** Week 10 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- Vol 4
3 -- Basics FB
4 -- PPLB + Power Walk (30 min)
5 -- Basics ABT
6 -- Tri-Trainers FB
7 -- rest

*** Week 11 ***
1 -- Vol 6
2 -- PPFB + Power Walk (30 min)
3 -- Vol 4
4 -- PPLB + Abs
5 -- PPFB + Power Walk (30 min)
6 -- Tri-Trainers MBS (with no weights)
7 -- rest

*** Week 12 ***
1 -- Basics SwW
2 -- Tri-Trainers FB + LBS
3 -- Basics ABT + Power Walk (30 min)
4 -- LBS + NSTA
5 -- Basics SwW
6 -- Tri-Trainers FB
7 -- rest

*** Week 13 ***
1-- Basics ABT + NSTA
2 -- PPFB + Power Walk (30 min)
3 -- rest
4 -- PPLB + Power Walk (30 min)
5 -- PPFB + Power Walk (30 min)
6 -- Vol 6
7 -- rest

*** Week 14 ***
1 -- Basics FB
2 -- Tri-Trainers MBS
3 -- Vol 4
4 -- Basics ABT
5 -- Basics FB
6 -- Vol 6
7 -- rest

*** Substitution Suggestions ***
1 -- Classics: Vol 4-6 (all low impact or step, and generally slower moves than 1-3); Vol 6 is probably the best for beginners, then Vol 4 and then Vol 5.
2 -- Full Barbell: There were no beginner/interm. level total body tapes, so the Tortoises are used. See below. However, if you feel strong enough, give TT2 a shot. It's easier than TT, and much better balanced. Just try it with very light weights at first, or no weights and see how you feel.
3 -- Tortoise: Basics SwW, Basics ABT, MBS, BBB, FS, FC, Tortoise.
4 -- Hare: No Hares either. CB, MC, PC and Hare are probably all too difficult and potentially discouraging for beginners. So the Cardios are used in lieu of them. See below.
5 -- Cardio: Basics FB, NSTA, FB, Step videos, Tae-Bo, power walking, anything aerobic. Feel free to substitute with other fun activities as well (soccer games, frisbee, etc).
6 -- Split Barbell: PPFB, PPLB, SL, UB, LBSplit and UBSplit are probably too difficult, but if you don't have the prime powers, try SL and UB with very light or no weights and see if you can use them. If not, just chose your most lower body focused/upper body focused tapes, such as FS and/or TT2 with light weights (for upper body) and Basics ABT and/or BBB with light weights (for lower body).
7 -- Abs: 5DA (day 5 is great for beginners), M5DA (day 3 is also good), any other ab tape.
8 -- Floorwork: LBS, SBHT (but don't do abs on that day if you do this one...this has like 4 sets).

Remember, these are just suggestions...you should feel free to cross-train, rest or substitute depending on how your body feels. Be especially careful to chose primarily lower/upper body videos if you choose alternate videos for the split barbell -- you don't want to overwork the legs on a day when you should be focused on upper body and vice versa.

*** Tips and Misc Info ***
1 -- Only Vol 4 and Vol 6 are used from the Classics, because working out 6x a week is intense for anyone, and the intent of this rotation is to help someone transition over into the more advanced Firm tapes. Vol 4 and Vol 6 are both low impact, slower in pace, and excellently cued. Vol 5 is also low impact, but the cueing on it is not as good and it is not as well-rounded. The same rationale was used with the Tri-trainers -- (1) MBS is so well cued and goes at a slower pace than BB&B, and (2) even though the cueing in FB could be better, the workout falls somewhere between NSTAM and Tough Aerobics Mix in intensity and difficulty. After doing this rotation, you should be able to approach some of the more difficult classics (Vol 1-3), as well as the more difficult, more focused workouts (TAM, BB&B, SL, UB). Vol 4, Vol 6, FB and MBS, are good "bridges" to help the beginner/intermediate person over the hump to the next level in intensity in their workouts.
2 -- For weeks 5 and 9, you should do as much of the abs/walking/stretching as your body feels comfortable doing. You should really look at those weeks as recovery weeks. So don't go full out, and if you feel like you just need to do nothing but rest for a week, don't feel guilty about taking that entire week off. Remember, you're in the exercise thing for the long haul, not just 90 days or 100 workouts. So taking the rest week and recovering is well worth it
3 -- For those who find NSTA too hard: Try doing it without a step. Just use masking tape on your floor to make a square for your "box" and do the workout ON THE FLOOR, using your masking taped square as though it were your short box. Then over time you can work up to actually using the box.
4 -- To gradually increase intensity of NSTA: Start with no steps and no weights. Work up to a 4" step with 1 lb weights in each hand...and so on. Every time it starts to feel too easy, up the weights or the step or just the intensity of the arm movements and marches during the low-impact sections.
Old 08-22-20, 08:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

mamaste Thanks for posting!!

Can anyone comment (beyond what is in the notes) if you don't have the Prime powers workouts whether the BSS3 workouts :
C+S - 49 - Complete Body Sculpting (CBSc)*
C+S - 46 - Total Muscle Shaping (TMSh)*

Would these make adequate substitutes?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm basics, firm rotation, lablover's rotations, the firm