Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
Keep moving

Weight bearing exercise

Good nutrition

Adequate sleep

Anita
The only thing I would add to this are regular mobility/flexibility and balance work.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 05:32 PM  
anetta

Yes!

How could I have forgot to mention that -CS my go to for stretch.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 06:43 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Thanks Vintage for asking the question! Great stuff here.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 03:40 PM  
carolyn jane

The most important advice I can give anyone - DO NOT do the same thing for every workout. I started working out with Jane Fonda in 1982. Then when step workouts arrived, I fell in love with them - I think that was the early 90s? At any rate, I did step almost exclusively for about 15 years. Then the trouble started. Now, 15 years since I started changing up my cardio, I am in pain every single day. All through my hips and glutes - just a mess. I spent the better part of a year a few years ago trying to find relief - massages, physical therapy, supplements, yoga tune up balls, stretching, steriod shots - an endless list - none of which solved the problem. To make it worse, I cannot even adequately explain the pain - maybe part muscular, part joints, part fascia - and the location varies. I still workout - mostly hi-lo with a step workout once in a while - as well as strength training and stretching. I have never seen anyone else describe what my situation is, so I haven't been able to find any other treatments to try. It makes me furious at myself to think I have worked out for decades in order to be healthy, and now I am about to turn 60 and am resigning myself to being in pain for the rest of my life. Sorry to go on at length but I hope anyone reading this will take it to heart and be sure to change up your workouts regularly!
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 04:42 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Great thread! Thanks for starting it Alta

Keep moving

Weight bearing exercise

Good nutrition

Adequate sleep

I have only 2 additions: 1) Be as kind to yourself as you would be to your best friend. Know that very few people keep all 4 of those important pieces going perfectly & consistently at any given time. And 2) Start some sort of mindfulness training. In 2017 I gave myself an annual subscription to Headspace as a 61st birthday gift (I turned 64 last week). As we age, our sympathetic nervous system (the one that makes us nervous, etc.) amps up. Meditation helps strengthen the parasympathetic system (the one that calms us down) & with practice, we can "flip the switch" between the 2 systems a little more easily.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 07:03 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
The most important advice I can give anyone - DO NOT do the same thing for every workout. I started working out with Jane Fonda in 1982. Then when step workouts arrived, I fell in love with them - I think that was the early 90s? At any rate, I did step almost exclusively for about 15 years. Then the trouble started. Now, 15 years since I started changing up my cardio, I am in pain every single day. All through my hips and glutes - just a mess. I spent the better part of a year a few years ago trying to find relief - massages, physical therapy, supplements, yoga tune up balls, stretching, steriod shots - an endless list - none of which solved the problem. To make it worse, I cannot even adequately explain the pain - maybe part muscular, part joints, part fascia - and the location varies. I still workout - mostly hi-lo with a step workout once in a while - as well as strength training and stretching. I have never seen anyone else describe what my situation is, so I haven't been able to find any other treatments to try. It makes me furious at myself to think I have worked out for decades in order to be healthy, and now I am about to turn 60 and am resigning myself to being in pain for the rest of my life. Sorry to go on at length but I hope anyone reading this will take it to heart and be sure to change up your workouts regularly!
Maybe try cutting out all high impact exercises and do the short Classical Stretch workouts on a regular basis 5 or so days a week along with your other workouts. I think once you get used to Classical Stretch that it’s one of the most beneficial and body liberating workouts available.
Old 08-10-20, 11:34 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
carolyn jane, I'm sorry you are hurting every day! How frustrating and discouraging. Is there any kind of diagnosis? For severe pain to go on so long, I'm wondering if there is some kind of nerve damage?

I have had a chronic pain issue for most of my life. It comes and goes and can be severe sometimes for as long as 6 months at a time. Even in this day and age, doctors can be so clueless (and useless) when in comes to pain. It's hard for others to understand the constant search for relief. (((HUGS))))

I never got into step workouts that much because of being terribly choreo-challenged. Now, maybe that turns out to be a good thing.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:48 PM  
videofit

Great advice. One thing popped into my head as I was reading this: Kathy Smith (can't remember which DVD) was advising people to modify certain moves if they couldn't manage them, saying, "Don't be a hero!" It takes much longer to recover from an injury and your fitness will be going downhill while you recover. "Slow and steady wins the race," as the turtle said.

Two older women inspire me:

Jane Fonda -- I recall seeing her on a Reformer, grunting and sweating with her tight, svelte body at age 70.

My own pilates eformer class had Cassandra Peterson, then age 66. Remember her as Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, sexpot cult figure? She still does conventions and shows where fans can buy signed merchandise, meet the celebs. Quite lucrative. But fans expect her to look the same as she did thirty years ago and she aims to please. She recommended her yoga class in addition to pilates but I could barely afford one class, never mind two. Clearly her results are great.

https://www.elvira.com/

Tags
aging, balance, get up off floor, over 50, posture, sit stand test, vintage vfers