Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-20, 12:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

So many great comments and advice!

For me (in my 60s) flexibility is becoming a major focus. I've been on a ballet type workout binge lately and find this has really helped to round out my fitness.

I also think that working out in a variety of ways is essential at my age. I do different types of cardio (step, floor, and good old fashioned walking), strength and endurance training with heavy and light weights, kickbox/boxing, and ballet/barre most recently. This variety has helped me to avoid or mitigate a lot of overuse injuries and joint issues.

I feel I have much more body awareness than I did when I was younger and am more flexible at what workout I do rather than follow a particular rotation.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 02:44 PM  
donnamp

Vintage - you may actually like Jessica V - she does Pilates, but she also does other types of workouts as well - she is a PT and that background shines through in her work.

Check out her You Tube channel there are some workouts that are not Pilates at all!

She is doing a free 7 day Pilates camp starting on Saturday, based on past 'camps' it will not be all Pilates - so you can check out some of her stuff there, too.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 03:51 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
You had me until I saw the word "Pilates."

Pilates is a fantastic system. Yet, I consider it the exercise equivalent to watching paint dry.
LOL !! I thought the same til the pandemic / stay-at-home. I borrowed from the library a book on beginning Pilates; still have at home since libraries are closed ... I thought I might as well try it. And I loved it!! Something about the slow, rhythmic, repetitive movements soothe me at this time. Each time I finish a "workout" I think to myself: Who have I become ?? I used to hate the thought of Pilates and now I'm enjoying it???
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 07:34 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Jessica V

She is doing a free 7 day Pilates camp starting on Saturday, based on past 'camps' it will not be all Pilates - so you can check out some of her stuff there, too.

Donna
Are her 'camps' all different or does she simply re-release past ones?
Old 07-31-20, 08:29 AM  
donnamp

hi buffmama - If I recall correctly, I think she does change them up a little bit - there may be some repeats and also some new workouts added.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 02:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
LOL !! I thought the same til the pandemic / stay-at-home. I borrowed from the library a book on beginning Pilates; still have at home since libraries are closed ... I thought I might as well try it. And I loved it!! Something about the slow, rhythmic, repetitive movements soothe me at this time. Each time I finish a "workout" I think to myself: Who have I become ?? I used to hate the thought of Pilates and now I'm enjoying it???
It's great to find something new to enjoy!

I was forced to do some highly modified Pilates when I injured my back. I still don't like it any better and I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 07:50 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
hi buffmama - If I recall correctly, I think she does change them up a little bit - there may be some repeats and also some new workouts added.

Donna
Thanks Donna. I got Day 2 workout but not Day 1. I found it on her website and did both today.
Old 08-02-20, 07:56 AM  
buffmama

Quote:

Donna
Thanks Donna. I got Day 2 workout but not Day 1. I found it on her website and did both today.
Old 08-02-20, 11:42 AM  
anetta

Keep moving

Weight bearing exercise

Good nutrition

Adequate sleep

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 11:49 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
Keep moving
Weight bearing exercise
Good nutrition
Adequate sleep
Anita
Alas, adequate sleep is a tough one for some of us.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, balance, get up off floor, over 50, posture, sit stand test, vintage vfers