Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-20, 01:26 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Started in my 20's (61 now). Took some breaks here and there when the kids were young, there were just never enough hours in the day. I've been at it consistently now since around age 35.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 01:36 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I "dabbled" in exercise/fitness until 1986 (Elaine Powers studios, anyone? ), when I started a consistent & regular program. I really did it to help me quit smoking, which I did, but I didn't quit exercising. So it's 34 years and counting.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:03 PM  
Messe

I’ve been working out consistently for (gulp) over 40 years. I’ve done both group exercise classes (Jazzercise and others) and home exercise, the latter for probably 25 years.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:12 PM  
diggerholliday

I've been working out to exercise videos since college. I still remember my first Collage order: A New Body with Gin Miller, Your Personal Best with Karen Voigt and Aerobox with Kathy Smith. All on VHS of course. I even made my room mates work out with me or they had to leave.
Before that it was jogging around the block, cardio machines and doing magazine workouts. I still have the 5 lb weights my mom bought me at K-mart when I was 13/14 because I wanted to do a workout from Seventeen magazine.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:23 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I will be 67 in August. I started exercising as a teenager in an attempt to achieve thin thighs heh heh, still hasn't happened. I also discovered yoga as a teen and have practiced all my life. In my 20s I was an avid cyclist and discovered "aerobics" group classes in 1979. Since then lots of group classes, straight up dance classes (ballet, jazz, Afro-Caribbean), hiking, cycling, jogging--which I never learned to like etc.

I discovered videos for exercise when I moved to Hawaii in 1995 and couldn't find any group classes I liked. I discovered VF shortly after that and have been using videos ever since. I like group water aerobics but that is a thing of the past for me now, but I still hike, cycle, swim, and do videos.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:33 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I "dabbled" in exercise/fitness until 1986 (Elaine Powers studios, anyone? ), when I started a consistent & regular program. I really did it to help me quit smoking, which I did, but I didn't quit exercising. So it's 34 years and counting.
Oh, my gosh, I forgot Elaine Powers!!!! I guess my exercise habit goes back to 1978!!!! I was still in college and got a membership there (it was before universities built fitness centers for their students). I still remember standing on a plate with a wide belt wrapped around my bum and thighs, vibrating my chub away.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:37 PM  
kat999

I'll be 45 later this month, and I believe I started working out regularly in college, so going on 25 years now. While there have been periods of time when I've done it less than I should, I've almost always used videos, sometimes in combination with outdoor walking and jogging, yoga studios, gyms, and fitness classes.
Old 06-13-20, 02:53 PM  
katmom

I will be 67 in September and my workout history started in early 1975 when a friend and I joined a gym. After the gym experienced financial issues, I built a gym in my basement primarily for weight training. I also added video workouts (The Firm and step videos) to supplement the weight training.
Old 06-13-20, 04:28 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

Working out pretty consistently for 53 years.
Not including PE in high school, gymanastics fun and tennis I started doing yoga in about 1967. I had these funky books I got at a supplement store with my mother. Loved them.
Early seventies I started jogging in a cool pair of Nikes I wish I had kept.
In the mid seventies I got my first set of dumbbells and a barbell set. Weight lifting was a real revelation to me. I loved how my muscles worked vs isometrics.
Then came videos in the eighties. The Firm of course set me up for the video life I now lead.
I really am so thankful for this community and my mother who worked out of Jack Lalane and others on tv, setting an example for me. She also had a pink pair of dumbbells she used in the fifties.
So at seventy I do not plan on quitting..ever.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 04:45 PM  
DCW

Working out more than 20+ years!!

I always enjoyed working out since I never really learned a sport, e.g., baseball, soccer, etc. in school. It was an activity where I excelled on my own pace and could see the difference in how I felt.

Like many folks here have said "Do something that you like!"

Not too many of my friends had my fitness bug but I made new friends over the years in rec classes. So I can't imagine my life if I didn't exercise.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, first workout, first workouts, vf history