Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-20, 11:16 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I think the point of this thread was to talk about the pros and cons of living in a 55+ environment. If you like living in a regular neighborhood and 55+ is not for you, that's ok, but it's also ok to want that type of environment.
This. My condo is in a 55+ friendly subdivision, but anyone can buy a condo here. The subdivision is small (only 35 condos), so we don't have the amenities that families may want (no pool, no playground, etc.), but it's a great place to live, and I'm glad I found the neighborhood.

While I do converse with my neighbors, I don't hang out with them, because we have very different interests. As a communications volunteer for a local nonprofit and its statewide counterpart, I tend to be on the move. I get my kid fixes at a lot of the events I cover — three opportunities just next week, and I can't wait.

I think it's great that so many communities offer so many different options to meet people's residential wishes and needs, whether it's through child-free neighborhoods or places that offer a lot of social activities or somewhere in between.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 11:48 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

We currently live on 15 acres in the sticks. We love it. It is incredibly peaceful and quiet. We've been casually looking to move for about ten years because the property maintenance is getting to be too much. Not much snow, but almost year-round fire abatement measures.

We have visited so many areas and can't find what we want. We are spoiled rotten when it comes to privacy and noise. Our neighbors keep to themselves unless help is needed or given.

I don't need "generational diversity" as I don't like children. So sue me!

I've lived in condos and apartments with the paper-thin walls and nosy neighbors and their undisciplined offspring.

The comments about the 55+ options are enlightening. When my mother lived in one, she was one of the few that was still driving. Every day, residents asked her to drive them places. They received a polite, "No," as being a taxi service got old fast.

To be honest, I'm not sure what we will end up doing.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 12:02 PM  
firmaniac

We're in a 55+ mobilehome community, and have owned here for 6 years. Pluses: quiet at night, only pets under 19 pounds allowed, children visiting under certain age have restricted pool time and must be supervised by resident, nice clubhouse for events, and beautiful mature landscaping all over with walking trails, plentiful lighting and secure mail center. We are in a 9000 sq ft lot that requires yard care and irrigation.

Minus: The HOA rises yearly, and as others mentioned upcoming expenses for the owner are Your burden to pay for prorated monthly. Here in Oregon the newest scam is home health care workers moving in with their single elderly patient. The health worker then has their own family members " help", and slowly they move in even though they don't comply with the age restrictions. It takes months to evict them. In our park we've had mail fraud rings, drug dealing & prostitution schemes and car repair business ran by the children of the older tenants. So it hasn't been the most peaceful calm existence. But it gives us something to talk about with neighbors.

Plus plus: when I needed stool softener for DH after his car accident, I texted a neighbor at 4am for some and he had it here within the hour LOL

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 02:25 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
We currently live on 15 acres in the sticks. We love it. It is incredibly peaceful and quiet. We've been casually looking to move for about ten years because the property maintenance is getting to be too much. Not much snow, but almost year-round fire abatement measures.
We are in the same boat. We are about half an hour or so from Silicon Valley, so excellent health care nearby as we age, interesting cultural events, etc., but it's a minimum of 30 minutes to get anywhere. And the maintenance will catch up with us. My husband has tractors and other "toys" that he doesn't want to part with, and we have three dogs who live in the equivalent of dog heaven. My husband says he will never live without dogs again, but since we live where we live, we do not have to walk the dogs, worry too much about them barking, etc. It would be a different story in town. Hard to think about leaving all this beauty and privacy, but the fire danger is really scary (not to mention they're cancelling everyone's fire coverage in the area), it's hard to think about leaving the larger area and having to make all new friends, etc. I just hope it's not a fire that forces us into the decision to leave......
Old 01-11-20, 03:23 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Bee - We are in a similar situation, we live semi-rural in a high summer fire risk area and we are surrounded by big trees. We’ve had a small condo in the city for seven years so we’ve started to make a transition to city living as we are down there a few times a month. Although I know at times we will miss the quiet of rural living, we love the green lifestyle of walking most places and rarely using our car. We aren’t big fans of condo living due to fees and close quarters, so our plan is to eventually buy a small house in the city and sell the condo. My take on it is there’s no utopia, have to decide what best suits you....focus on the pros and learn to live with the cons.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 03:58 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
The meetings are not always mandatory. Also, I think some of these factors depend on how the board runs the meetings as well as the particular expectations for the community. We have a little complaining at times, but it's shut down pretty quickly.

To the OP - just over 7 years ago, DH and I moved into a townhome (built/own). It's not an over 55 community, but at the time, we were probably the youngest residents--we are 51 now. Most of the residents in our community are older because the homes (town homes plus a few patio homes, about 80 total) are on the pricier side and there are no rentals. Also, I believe that the HOA attracts older people who don't want to do yardwork.

For us, we have no kids, yet we had a big 4 bedroom house with a big yard--it made no sense, especially as our house was aging. Our townhome fits us much better; we have plenty of room, and I got to customize a workout room for myself in the basement! DH loves that he does't have to mow the law, and I driveway is plowed in the winter as well. Overall, it was a great decision for us. However, one thing I would note is that the HOA fee has risen significantly in the (relatively) short time we have been there; expenses are always more than anticipated. It might be different for a more established community though.

ETA: As our community has matured and people have resold their homes, we do have more people of various ages, although there's still very few children.
DH and I live in and own our townhouse too. Its not a 55 and over but about half the people who live here are over 50. Our homeowners fees have gone up a lot since we first moved in 02. But DH still has no desire to move. I don't care one way or another. I wouldn't mind moving but dont' want a house. I'd go for another condo or town home.
Old 01-11-20, 04:32 PM  
Gams

I bought a town home when I was in my mid 20’s and when I was moving in, the neighbor lady came running over all excited and said, “This is great! Now I’ll have a babysitter living right next door!” And I thought, “I don’t think so, lady.”
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 05:39 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Bee - We are in a similar situation, we live semi-rural in a high summer fire risk area and we are surrounded by big trees. We’ve had a small condo in the city for seven years so we’ve started to make a transition to city living as we are down there a few times a month. Although I know at times we will miss the quiet of rural living, we love the green lifestyle of walking most places and rarely using our car. We aren’t big fans of condo living due to fees and close quarters, so our plan is to eventually buy a small house in the city and sell the condo. My take on it is there’s no utopia, have to decide what best suits you....focus on the pros and learn to live with the cons.
Funny enough, we moved here from San Francisco, so we do know the benefits of that lifestyle, too (though SF is not at all like what it was when we lived there nearly 15 years ago). I think I could easily re-adjust to city living -- it's my husband who's so against it. I would love to be able to walk to buy my groceries again! (and hold my breath hoping I have nice neighbors )
Old 01-11-20, 06:32 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I bought a town home when I was in my mid 20’s and when I was moving in, the neighbor lady came running over all excited and said, “This is great! Now I’ll have a babysitter living right next door!” And I thought, “I don’t think so, lady.”
Wow, that is a weird thing to say to someone you just met!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 07:15 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Wow, that is a weird thing to say to someone you just met!
Yes, and quite presumptuous!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement, retirement locations, where do you live