Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-20, 12:41 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I am 66 and my husband is 75, this past year we moved back to California from Hawaii. We are renting in an over 55 community and we really like it. I'm not so sure we'd like owning here.

The community is beautiful, it's like a regular neighborhood with different types of houses--singles, duplexes, triplexes in different styles. There are "subdivisions" within the development that all have different rules, but there are HOAs and dues involved, any additions or modifications have to be approved. There is a section of apartments that include assisted living options.

We love the amenities: three gorgeous heated outdoor pools with adjacent spa, a fully equipped gym, many fitness classes, nearby parks with hiking and cycling opportunities. What we don't use and is a big expense are two golf courses. I love to garden and have been using our little yard and the community garden (free) to get my gardening on. But the mowing, pruning and leaf removal is done by the maintenance folks.

I think each of these communities is different and I'd check all the ins and outs and additional fees before committing to one. They can be very nice but I agree with the "nickel and diming" aspect mentioned above as something to look out for.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 01:12 PM  
Gams

When my husband was alive, we tried buying a mobile home in a 55+ community and they wouldn’t let us buy there because even though my husband was over 55 at the time, I was still in my 40’s.

I also worked at a law office where a HOA was suing someone for installing a satellite dish on their roof.

Maybe it wasn’t clear from my original post, but I can’t stand the thought of living somewhere with all those HOA rules.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 01:17 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Mandie, I've been considering 55+ as well. I am 53 and am getting tired of the constant maintenance that goes with owning a home, so I've been thinking about 55+ when I get to that age. I'm actually planning to go to Florida next month to check a few places out near Orlando and Daytona Beach.

My SIL's parents are in their 70s and live in a 55+ condo community. They've been there 5 years and all was well until they got into an argument with a neighbor and now they are thinking about moving. I told them I'm thinking about 55+ living and they told me not to do it, especially at 55 because everyone would be so much older and because of all the rules. I get the impression it's tough to have any privacy and the HOA fees go up every year.

I lived in a townhouse development in the early 2000s and even though that was not 55+, the neighbors were nosy and the HOA fee increased quite a bit in the 2 years that I lived there...and it was a brand new development.

My main issues with these places are the HOA fees. If you move to one that has mobile homes or manufactured homes, you have to pay lot rent, which can be high. I've seen some in Florida that are $700+.

So...as Jennifer R is doing, I will probably rent in one and see how I like it before I commit to anything.
Old 01-09-20, 01:54 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
When my husband was alive, we tried buying a mobile home in a 55+ community and they wouldn’t let us buy there because even though my husband was over 55 at the time, I was still in my 40’s.

I also worked at a law office where a HOA was suing someone for installing a satellite dish on their roof.

Maybe it wasn’t clear from my original post, but I can’t stand the thought of living somewhere with all those HOA rules.
Ugh that brings back memories of my paralegal days and all the HOA lawsuits I had to work on. All those clients thought their HOA spits and spats were the most urgent problems in the county.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 02:40 PM  
sbh

If you are a loner, like me, and like your privacy, then do not buy a mobile home. Even if it is in a 55+ community. I live in a family mobile home park and hate it. I can't wait to move!!! People are just to close in proximity. I need a lot more space between me and the neighbor. I can't stand my busy body neighbors. They are right up in my business every time I go outside.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 03:32 PM  
mandie123

Sherry,Thanks! Alot of info to think about,also didn't think about renting in one first,that sounds like the best idea!
Old 01-09-20, 03:34 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
If you are a loner, like me, and like your privacy, then do not buy a mobile home. Even if it is in a 55+ community. I live in a family mobile home park and hate it. I can't wait to move!!! People are just to close in proximity. I need a lot more space between me and the neighbor. I can't stand my busy body neighbors. They are right up in my business every time I go outside.
Yep, I hear you Sherri, that can be an issue! I think some people just have too much time on their hands, lol.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 03:40 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

My cousin lives in a neighborhood like that. These are freestanding houses but the community is 55+. There is a community center with pool and maybe some other amenities. It's worked well for them, though they moved in when they were just eligible, and were by far the younger people there, so..... guess what? My cousin's husband became the go-to handy man for the whole neighborhood. He/They are very kind, generous people, so not a big problem, but sometimes the neighbors don't respect their privacy as much as they maybe should. One thing to think about if you're going to be on the younger end. It is nice to be able to help people out, but yes, those are going to be the people who need increased help and then eventually won't be around -- maybe then some younger neighbors will move in and can help you!
Old 01-09-20, 04:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
Thanks for the info,my fiancee is 75 and can't really keep up with all the house and yard maint,so we were looking into buying a house in one of the over 55 communities in central or North Florida.The on line reviews are positive,but need to go down there and check it out.I'am a loner,and don't like people all in my business,so that's a concern.
some communities let you rent instead of buy - this way you can try it out.

my in-laws had the option of buying or renting, and chose to rent. so far, they are really happy. they're still active in church, travel, and visit with family and friends regularly. no one bugs them, but at the same time, they have activities in the recreation center. it's townhouse style, and there's enough space for them to be autonomous.

family members can move in with them but there's a limit - not sure what it is.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 04:27 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Expanding on the topic: our rental is in a 4 unit single story building but it's possible to have complete privacy. Our neighbors are all very nice, an assortment of ages. Here only one person living in a home has to be over 55, and lots of people have their grandkids over--very obvious in the summer at the pools!

We owned a condo for 20 years before we moved, and it's the same kind of thing--maintenance fees went up almost every year, as well as the occasional "special assessment". By the time we moved the fees were almost as much as our mortgage, and the issues of privacy, noise, and modifications were the same.

But we were across the street from the beach and could whale watch from our lanai so we actually loved it. However, staring at a potential additional assessment of >$20K this year for plumbing repairs was what motivated us to sell.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement, retirement locations, where do you live