Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-20, 11:51 AM  
TinaT

Re-entering a consistent workout routine has been tough

Yes, I'm back at trying to give myself time to better my health and fitness. I turned 55 in Dec. and it really was a tough one. Not because of the number as much as how I look and feel. I feel much older than that number. I look tired and worn out. So I'm giving myself grace, as so many of you have told me to, and I'm starting out slow.

I have wandered through my collection of workouts and asking myself where should I start. I feel like Karen Voight would be a great choice to start with. Very little to no impact and yet her routines are always creative and fun. (motivation is key here). I need someone familiar, calm, yet can get me moving forward.

I am starting with every other day for cardio/weight combos and the days in between are for stretching routines. My goal this year is to not feel older than I actually am. To feel healthy and active now that we are "empty nesters."
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 11:57 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sending you (((hugs))) Tina. The only advice I have is to do something you enjoy and maybe think about joining a check in for accountability. It takes time to work your way back and it’s not as easy as we age (I’m 62), but you’ll get there! Baby steps!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 01:09 PM  
TinaT

Thank you Pam. Checking in here, more often, will also help my motivation.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 01:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Tina, I can relate. I finally got started in December with trying to build my cardio capacity. Then, Christmas and a trip to see family happened. Then, we came home with colds we picked up from family members on the trip, first DH and then me. It just seems like every time I get started, things go off track. But, things will turn around again for me as it will for you.

If you feel drawn to Karen Voight, then that's a great starting point for you. Chances are you will use those for a while and then come up with something else. For now though, that's all you need.

Just curious. Are you part of a check in here on VF? Would it help you to be part of a smaller group?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:04 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I think Karen Voight is an excellent choice! She is my go to for "starting over" or and, like you said, someone familiar, calm and presents an intelligent, feel good workout.

Feeling my age a bit too. Just turned 61 and feeling kind of low energy and sometimes like "what's the point?" My main motivation is that I always feel better after I workout and the thought that one day if/when I take a fall I'll be able to get myself up. Haha.

Hang in there, Tina. One day at a time.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

If Karen will draw you in, then follow her back! An empty nest is an opportunity to treat yourself to a time for rejuvenation.

Everyone has a different reset point. Tamilee is who I rely on to bring me back.

Either way, welcome back!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:19 PM  
alisoncooks

I hear ya. I was going strong until my oldest DD had surgery near Thanksgiving. That plus the holidays threw me totally off. (And once I'm off, it is so very hard to start back up!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 03:26 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I know what you guys mean about getting back in the groove with workouts that make you feel good! No matter what I do, whenever I "shock" my system by trying to get back into things with something new, it never seems to work. What does ALWAYS work for me is a Butt Bible rotation for strength and Les Mills Combat for cardio. Once I get back into a groove using those, then I'm much more likely to stick with the next thing I try.

I don't know why I ever think it's going to be different

And TinaT, I enjoy reading your updates when you post here. They are motivating!
Old 01-05-20, 03:31 PM  
Gams

I’ve been doing workouts consistently, but since Malcolm died at Thanksgiving, I have not been doing them well or with a positive attitude. Sometimes when we chance to a move I don’t care for, I just march in place and stick my tongue out at the instructor or when they have you take a big breath and raise your arms over head, I will do it twice and then tell the instructor she’s lucky I did it that many times. Oh well, I figure one of these days I will wake up with a positive attitude again.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 06:38 PM  
Harivelo

TinaT, you're not alone I know what you're going through because was I in your shoes at the end of October. I was 4 months short of my 61th birthday and I had stopped working out at the end of 2016. I walked in the mall almost every day through 2019 but my knees were beginning to bother me seriously. Every time I tried to start a fitness routine I had to stop because they hurt and swelled so much I had to take double doses of Ibuprofen. I finally bought a pair of knee braces online and alternated between an Ellen Barrett video and a t-tapp walking dvd. I was very weak and short of breath. My knees were very stiff and cracked like fireworks. I persevered because I was afraid I'd be beyond help within months if I didn't give it my best. Things improved within 3 weeks and I was pain free by week 6. This month I'm gonna do mini workouts during my breaks at the office to strengthen my knees and muscles before trying other workouts.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restart, restarter, restarters, restarting, starting over