Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-19, 12:21 PM  
LizEMA

(I signed in for the first time in for-EVER just to respond to this post. )

I'm another Instant Pot fan, and a completely surprising one at that.

I, too, was "no more appliances in my house", but my SO bought his father one to use while he was staying with us. And, I absolutely fell in love with it! I completely (and unapologetically ) usurped it. No one was more surprised by how much I loved it than I was!

I cook everything we eat from scratch so I am in the kitchen and cooking daily. No matter HOW attentive I was, things were CONSTANTLY bubbling or boiling over on the stove, not to mention all the time and energy involved. Like Sherry, I LOVE the IP for how hands off it is. Set it and forget it. I LOVE that I can start "cooking" in it and then just leave the room! No having to stand over the stove, no tending to a pot, no stirring, no lowering temps, no covering or uncovering, no timing, no worry about something overcooking or burning. I get it going and just go about my business doing whatever other chores and errands I have. I love being able to even LEAVE the house while something is cooking away.

And, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, yet, but an Instant Pot is a pressure cooker AND a slow cooker, among many other things. It has a lot of functions, though, like Pam, I have only used the saute and pressure cooker functions thus far, but, as Sherry mentioned, it also serves as a yogurt maker. I love it just for it's pressure cooking capabilities alone, though. It's worth it just for that, IMHO, but it's incredibly versatile.

Even with the time it takes for the pressure to build up, it still cuts cooking time way down, AND, again, it's completely hands off. No fussing, no mussing, nothing!

I have no experience with an air fryer, but guess what? Your IP can be one, too! I came across this a couple of months ago and have been eyeballing it. It's a lid that purportedly allows your IP to function as an air fryer. I'm keeping my eye on it during the upcoming BF and CM sales. (I'm actually also thinking about getting ANOTHER IP! LOL A differently sized one, though.)

I do NOT have a TO with an air fryer (I didn't even know they made those!), but a year ago I bought a Cuisinart TO with convection capability, which I love. I do NOT think it can produce food like an air fryer could, though.

The IP was a game changer for me, and I couldn't be happier with it. If you haven't already inferred it, I highly recommend getting one.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 11-27-19, 12:34 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

My vote is for Instant Pot. it has to be the best appliance I have ever purchased. It is even more to me than my Vitamix of $400.

You can fry in the oven with a fry pan. It has little holes in it.

But child, hum.. that instant pot and your own recipe to make it the way you would is spot on. I make better meat meals with it. Cheaper cuts of meat. I've made spaghetti and sauce in it and the so called 8 minute mac and cheese. Every single thing I do in it comes out perfect. I have never wasted a thing. I love that I've even cooked frozen chicken wings in it to make a stew. Or I've instant potted them for like 8 minute and then fried them. oh man, soft, tender, juicy and crispy.

Well, since I'm giving up meat, I hope to find a lot of meatless recipes to use in the pot.

My air fryer, sent it back. The chicken was soggy. and I did fried. and I never baked a cake. to me, it just did not bring me joy, so back it went to QVC.

all in all get the INSTANT Pot the size for your family. I have the 6 qt. that's just for one person and I Have enough always to freeeze the left overs.. Talk about time saving, I make collard greens in less than ½ hour.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 12:38 PM  
sherry7899

Cheryl , the blog "Detoxinista " has some vegetarian Instant Pot recipes. When I have time, I will start a thread for you in the Recipe Box forum.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 12:50 PM  
Lannette

Sherry I’m the same way. I have a glass lid for my 6qt for times when I use it as a slow cooker or use the sauté function.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 12:54 PM  
primrosecat

Best

My DH wants an Instapot. Can you girls/guys post your favorites, as I've read some bad reviews?
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 01:00 PM  
Lannette

I have an original IP, which is perfectly serviceable. I also have an Instant Pot Duo Plus, which I like a lot. So far there’s nothing that I haven’t been able to do with it. I forget what I paid. It was on sale on amazon.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 01:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
My DH wants an Instapot. Can you girls/guys post your favorites, as I've read some bad reviews?
Mine is an older model they don’t make anymore, it’s an IP-Duo 7 in 1.

I have two stainless liners and two glass lids. I often use it for more than one dish, especially if I’m doing rice as a side dish. And I sometimes store leftovers in one in the fridge, especially soup.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 01:43 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Cheryl , the blog "Detoxinista " has some vegetarian Instant Pot recipes. When I have time, I will start a thread for you in the Recipe Box forum.
thank you. Just book marked it..

when you find or post recipes. please PM me because I don't look on that thread.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 01:58 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post

when you find or post recipes. please PM me because I don't look on that thread.
No problem The threads in there keep getting buried. In order to find older ones you need to change the time frame displayed , which is a pain. I don't know why it only displays a few recent threads and not older ones.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 02:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post

If you have a Pinterest account, I have found lots of good IP recipes there.
Here is a link to my pressure cooker board. I have made several, but not all, of them. I often modify ingredients a bit as I’m not good at following recipes exactly.
https://pin.it/6xpe3npy5n7kzr

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air fryer, instant pot, instapot