Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-19, 01:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I don't at all understand the concept of sitting and watching a workout video instead of just doing it. No previewing for me!
my "preview" is when deciding to purchase - previewing clips at Mary's or elsewhere. then I read all of the reviews both on VF and Amazon and other blogs on the web like dysfunctional parrot. i also do an extensive search on the VF forum looking at breakdowns, people's comments, both good and bad.

once it arrives, I just do the workout. I lack the time to preview the whole thing before actually doing it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 01:15 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I like to preview workout DVDs when I am tired at night. Popcorn & wine would be a great addition. LOL Also it is cheaper then surfing internet & buying more workout DVDs- which I also have done when tired at night.
Haha, yes!! I need to remember this! When I start getting the itch to find something shiny and new, I should go preview a workout I haven't done in a while!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 01:22 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hmm...I'd have to say back when the Ultimate Yogi set came out and I was doing primarily yoga, I was so on the fence about getting the set because of Travis and his voice...I was just certain it would grate on my last nerve and I'd hate the entire set because of that.

But nope! Travis ruined me for all other yoga because I absolutely adored him and every single one of the UY practices. I never found anything comparable after him either!

I was very surprised, to say the least!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 03:24 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I love previewing too! I sometimes take notes of what equipment I will need to do the workouts. I also like to know that it works properly (no glitches, etc.), I never let a DVD into its shrinkwrap even if I don't plan to do it right away, what about if it doesn't play and then it is too late for a replacement?

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 12:49 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I love previewing new-to-me DVDs! I'll usually pop them in while I'm folding clothes, and for workouts like Cathe or KCM, I'll skip chapters once I see the move. I like knowing what I'm getting in to...

Exactly what I do!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 03:16 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I don't at all understand the concept of sitting and watching a workout video instead of just doing it. No previewing for me!
Watch and do makes sense to me. Watching and not doing makes me very uncomfortable.
I already have some idea of what to expect because of written reviews and short clips and I know what I like and know my strengths and limitations. I have my gym room set up for any equipment needed to be at hand.
To just do it is like going to the gym for a new class, it’s exciting to experience something new and even better if I love it and can’t wait to get back to it again. To preview the whole workout takes the magic away.
Recently I wanted a Jessica Smith weights DVD so badly because I love using weights, love Jessica and because lately it’s become difficult to get Jessica DVDs here without hunting and paying a fortune for it, I had a long wait. Eventually I got it and was excited but had no time to do it. Being so curious I viewed it while doing the ironing then cooking which absolutely had to be done. Big mistake. I had itchy feet and felt uncomfortable watching a workout. I did the workout the next day, it was ho hum, been there already, magic of discovery not included. I won’t preview a whole workout again.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 03:48 PM  
Gams

This reminds me of the time my mom was sitting on the couch eating ice cream and previewing a workout DVD. My stepdad walked in and said, “What are you doing?” Mom said, “I’m working out.” And my stepdad said, “I don’t think it works that way.”
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 09:43 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
This reminds me of the time my mom was sitting on the couch eating ice cream and previewing a workout DVD. My stepdad walked in and said, “What are you doing?” Mom said, “I’m working out.” And my stepdad said, “I don’t think it works that way.”
Ha ha!
So you're a second generation vidiot - impressive!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 11:33 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
OMG- too funny!

Workouts I expected to like ,but don’t: recent Tracie Long workouts. I’ve enjoyed her in the past, but I find the recent ones kind of boring.

I want to thank Garrie for making it clear why I can’t get choreography. I always try to learn all of the combinations at one time, which is obviously hopeless. I don’t have much patience previewing, either. I get restless after about 10 minutes and just want to start doing the workout.

Thanks for a great thread.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 08:55 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Mirabai Holland. Her workouts look easy, and they are designed for therapeutic purposes. I was surprised to feel quite worked out with most of the DVDs in the kit I purchased (level 1).
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, josee lavigueur, previewing workouts