Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-19, 04:01 PM  
Dabbadooey

Have you seen someone lose weight and they looked better before?.,

I'm not talking about someone who loses weight Because of illness or stress.
A colleague lost 82 pounds in 6.5 months, and she looked better heavy. It aged her twenty years. She did it exercising and counting calories.
Old 09-16-19, 04:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have a friend who lost 100 lbs. It has aged her as she’s much more wrinkled and has a lot of loose skin. But IMO is not about that....it’s about being healthier, more mobile, and having fewer aches and pains.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 09-16-19, 04:24 PM  
pcdoctor01

From what I understand, age has a lot to do with the skin bouncing back. I wonder how much genetics plays a role too?
Old 09-16-19, 04:32 PM  
prettyinpink

Kind of. I think there are a couple of things going on. Most people in the US are overweight, so there are a lot of people who see someone lose a lot of weight think they look too thin, unhealthy. Our sense of what is normal is skewed to overweight. I have heard people say someone looks bad after weight loss where I think they look fantastic. So I think it can be in the eye of the beholder.

But if someone really does look a little gaunt, I think that if they maintain, it kind of balances out. Skin tightens up a little and the body gets used to a new way of being and they look better after a while at the same weight. The person mentioned in the first post lost more than 12 pounds a month, which is very fast weight loss. Their appearance probably has a lot to do with that, and perhaps in the way that they lost it, though we can’t talk about that, but certain types of restrictions in my opinion can make one look especially gaunt for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
But IMO is not about that....it’s about being healthier, more mobile, and having fewer aches and pains.
This.
Old 09-16-19, 06:28 PM  
Dabbadooey

She doesn't look gaunt. She's in her early 40's.
Old 09-16-19, 07:28 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
She doesn't look gaunt. She's in her early 40's.
I might be misunderstanding. To me gaunt means too thin for your frame, kind of drawn, and yes, looking older than you are. I guess I don’t know what you mean.
Old 09-16-19, 07:39 PM  
Dontmindthemess

It may be that you were used to seeing her a certain way and now she looks different. Sometimes it can take a while to get used to changes and it hasn’t been that long. Personally that would be an opinion that I wouldn’t share.

Jane
Old 09-16-19, 07:48 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Kind of. I think there are a couple of things going on. Most people in the US are overweight, so there are a lot of people who see someone lose a lot of weight think they look too thin, unhealthy. Our sense of what is normal is skewed to overweight. I have heard people say someone looks bad after weight loss where I think they look fantastic. So I think it can be in the eye of the beholder.
I have to agree with this.
Old 09-16-19, 07:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I think that after undergoing a life-changing event* which includes weight loss, people may need to consider getting a makeover. it's because they're used to wearing their previous clothing, doing their make-up a certain way, mentally thinking a certain way. "clothes" makes the man, really.

the before/after we see in the magazines has the "after" picture with the person having a new hairdo, new makeup, new clothes, right? we've come to expect to see our friends presented that way too.

*illness, recovery from illness, etc. can be in this category too.

Edited to add: i'm not saying everyone needs a makeover - i mean they should just re-evaluate how they look and consider how they can adapt to their new look, which might include getting suggestions from an independent 3rd party.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-16-19, 08:59 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

My personal aesthetic sense is a bit unconventional--although I don't have examples in the flesh, as it were, I've seen infomercials and other things where I thought the "before" picture better-looking than the "after." For a number of reasons, I'm sure that the reason isn't about being accustomed to seeing "overweight" people.

(If we'll discuss skewed views, don't forget the multiple stories about people who did have "bad," unintended weight loss and got complimented for it. I'm one of them myself: after a series of health-related problems, I got more compliments for my less capable, less fit, but evidently "thinner" figure than for my previous fitter and healthier body, which was two waist sizes larger. I wasn't personally saddened, but I don't like this kind of thinking and never "accepted" the attempted compliments. I'm not trying to change the subject of this thread, but I do wish to maintain that such impressions can be deceiving.)

One component of my preferences (I prefer "fuller" faces) reminds me: we've had threads about some saying that as a woman ages, she has to choose between her butt and her face. In other words, if a woman does what makes her butt look supposedly more attractive, her face becomes supposedly less attractive, and vice versa. I do not wish at all to promote that viewpoint or its various questionable assumptions, but I see possible connections between this discussion and those others.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Closed Thread

Tags
weight loss