Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-19, 06:55 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Yeah, she's the worst, and she uses intransitive verbs when her meaning calls for transitive verbs.

At least she isn't breathy and cutesy.
Wow, you know the difference between the two? I mean that in all sincerity. I had to look up the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs. Are you a teacher? I'm not being snarky. I have a huge imagination which came across in my papers, but was often marked down in school because of grammar. I can't even remember where the hell to put a comma sometimes. I admire those that are really, really good in grammar.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 07:17 PM  
Gams

What drives me crazy lately is the widespread abuse of the apostrophe. Apparently no one believes in the simple plural of a word anymore. Everything has an apostrophe “s”. “Home’s for rent”. “We sell pizza’s”. I just saw a sign at a basketball game - “Go Rebel’s!”

And I don’t know why there seems to be a problem where I live with “loan” and “borrow”. Everyone says, “Jane wanted to borrow some money so I borrowed her $20.00.”
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 07:20 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Re: transitive and intransitive, one has a direct object and the other doesn't, right? But I don't know which is which any more. I did when I taught my kids grammar. . . It would probably come back to me in a flash if you told me but I'm not coming up with it off the top of my head.

Edited to add, I love VF! Such random stuff comes up sometimes. . .
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 08:49 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I can't even begin to count the number of times or the number of instructors I’ve yelled REPS at when they say something like “only 4 more sets.” Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you do, for example, a set of 8 reps? You don’t do 8 sets!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 09:06 PM  
Gams

It drives me nuts when an instructor’s cues are clear as mud - like when Debra Mazda says, “We’re going to do a front leg and a side leg all on one leg.”

And why do so few instructors say “v-step”? I thought it was a common term and easily understood, but I’ve heard some strange cues for it lately.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 09:26 PM  
sugar rose

It bugs me when an instructor says "If you want to modify, follow Suzy. Otherwise, follow Kim or I," instead of "follow Kim or me."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 06:23 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Wow, you know the difference between the two? I mean that in all sincerity. I had to look up the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs. Are you a teacher? I'm not being snarky. I have a huge imagination which came across in my papers, but was often marked down in school because of grammar. I can't even remember where the hell to put a comma sometimes. I admire those that are really, really good in grammar.
I just love grammar. I fell in love with it in 3rd grade. In college (in the 70s), I took several grammar classes, and I have accumulated a number of grammar books over the decades. I found they helped me be a better reader. When I stop to ponder how to put my ideas into words, if I turn to my grammar references, they guide me to clearer thinking.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 06:25 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar rose View Post
It bugs me when an instructor says "If you want to modify, follow Suzy. Otherwise, follow Kim or I."
I hear this all the time, everywhere. It's maddening. Otherwise intelligent and wonderful people say this.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 06:35 AM  
Garrie A.

To be honest, I don't pay attention to instructors' comments. Over the years I've learned to tune them out (and focus on ME and the WORKOUT). But there are a few comments that bug me.

-Word mix-up:
--Saying "sets" for "reps"
--"Mamba" for "mambo"
--"Lay down" instead of "lie down" (in which I always say the correct one)

Patronizing comments: Allie is one of my favorite Firm instructors, but when she says things like "I didn't give you many" or "It's good for you", this leaves me rolling my eyes at her. I'm not a three-year old anymore.

Improper terminology (as said above, but a few more): In an old step workout I have on VHS, the instructor calls a basic L-step a "hip hop." In a CLX workout, Chalene says we're moving in the frontal plane. No, we're moving in the sagittal plane. I was constantly drilled this while studying for my AFAA exam. Debbie Siebers says pointing your toe up works more inner thighs. No, it works the quadriceps and hip flexors.

Cursing: There's a promo for a upcoming Beachbody program, and right when the instructor was being bleeped out, I Joni O'd it.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 06:59 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

And another thing .... Ellen Barrett often says things like “Only 8 more, I swear!” What do you mean? I can’t do 8 more? I don’t want to do 8 more? Already doing 16 is just so tough? She’s so sweet and she means well.

Also, when Firm instructors say “If you’re new to The Firm, follow Allison.” Well, I’m not new to The Firm, but maybe I want to follow Allison because I’ve been lifting really heavy and busting my butt the rest of the week!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves