Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-19, 09:13 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I tend to dislike comments about how good your body is going to look. Though I don't think that is said too much anymore. 10 Days to a Better Body is a perfect example. Drives me nuts.
What bugged me most about this workout was her constantly saying how I must hate some XYZ part of my body. Paraphasing, but yea. I don't care about the "how good your body will look" comments. Heck, I want my body to look good! It's the "hating" my body part that I don't like to hear. And I really did like this workout. This is one of the few workouts I've gotten rid of due to what an instructor has said.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 10:43 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I still love workouts choreographed to music, I still love good music in workouts, and of course I still love the 80s! (Well I get a nostalgic kick out of them anyway. )
Sorry, Kelly!
Many make fun of 80's workout clothes. I wore them! The colors were pretty and cheerful and the styles were feminine. (And, I still like them better than the macho or slutty outfits some instructors wear today.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Bad grammar bothers me. And pretentious inflection.
That would be Emily S. in the V-Core workout. Really annoying phrasing and verbal inflections.

Leslie often makes me wince.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 10:44 AM  
BunnyHop

Generally speaking it bugs me when instructors make assumptions about what I know or believe or want from my workouts.

Comments about how sexy I'm gonna look? Off the mark, kind of icky and an irksome reminder that it's easy to make glib assumptions about other people's needs and goals.

The instructor's overall tone and vocal qualities can be the biggest deal breaker for me, though.

I simply cannot even approach the Ultimate Yogi series of dvds because his narration and behavior are both annoying and kinda creepy to me.

A particular sort of sing-songy voice, or anything that brings to mind a slow 'you're getting verry sleeepy' sort of speech pattern can be deal breakers too.

The slow thing, with accents in the wrong places can really make me laugh because it reminds me of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. (Certain pieces of classical music? Pretty much ruined for me, forever, because all I can think is of the cartoons that featured it whenever I hear them.)

On the other hand, Jane Adam's voice isn't perfect, but since she's not trying to manipulate me into relaxing with a ridiculously slow cadence, somehow it doesn't bug me when I do her workouts.
Old 09-01-19, 11:00 AM  
alisoncooks

Sure, I'm annoyed at any number of small things. I'm easily annoyed, lol.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 11:07 AM  
red1013

I stopped doing KCM workouts because I realized I don't like her personality, so I'm sure that would have annoyed me!

Leslie does get overbearing with her "she's a grandma!", it almost always comes across as a dig.

I did a Susan Power cardio workout (hadn't done it in years) this week, and I'd forgotten how bossy she is. "Step deliberately, this...does NOTHING!" I rolled my eyes a lot.
Old 09-01-19, 01:26 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I simply cannot even approach the Ultimate Yogi series of dvds because his narration and behavior are both annoying and kinda creepy to me.
100% this! You just put into words my feelings about that set. I've tried several times to just block it out because so many people seem to love Travis and Ultimate Yogi, but I ended up giving the set to my co-worker who really enjoys yoga and seems to enjoy the set.
Old 09-01-19, 01:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Well, since you brought it up...

There are a little little comments (like appearance-oriented results one) that rub me the wrong way, but one that has always bothered me quite a bit is from Sahra Esmonde-White (who I like!), I think from her Shoulders, Upper Back, and Hamstrings routine on the Essentrics Strength/Stretch in Motion set. When doing the baby stretch, she says that it is sometimes hard for people with "big, bulky thighs." Well, I have big thighs, and that stretch IS hard for me--show me modification instead of calling me "bulky"!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 01:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
100% this! You just put into words my feelings about that set. I've tried several times to just block it out because so many people seem to love Travis and Ultimate Yogi, but I ended up giving the set to my co-worker who really enjoys yoga and seems to enjoy the set.
x3 RE: Ultimate Yogi. I couldn't understand why people love Travis so much when he was so off-putting to me. (I felt pretty similarly about the Bob Harper yoga I tried.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-01-19, 01:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Generally speaking it bugs me when instructors make assumptions about what I know or believe or want from my workouts.
You hit the nail on the head regarding what bugs me about Chalene! She frequently says things like "you are going to LOVE this" where I am thinking "you are SO wrong about that!"

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-01-19, 06:18 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

That would be Emily S. in the V-Core workout. Really annoying phrasing and verbal inflections.
Yeah, she's the worst, and she uses intransitive verbs when her meaning calls for transitive verbs.

At least she isn't breathy and cutesy.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves