Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-16, 10:09 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Honestly, i just like less intense workouts and options like this help me to keep moving.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I like her!

Somebody buy this and tell us if she yells too much and if she mirror cues.
Just did. Will post a review after I try it out.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 05:57 PM  
lorajc

mg she looks excellent for her age and actually for any age....i didn't think the clip looked easy.....maye I saw a did one?? However I want it....may purchase? Although as many know, am injured and at a beginner level....so guinea pig here....will break my no spend...need to get my athlewnx posted on eBay for cash....lazy.

ET... however...on second preview....it does look too easy and at 20 mins...no.... especially being broke...sorry...no guinea pig! Mi up

Last edited by lorajc; 05-30-16 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Location mi
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 06:07 PM  
donnamp

Joan, looking forward to your report!

It does sound like it would fit in nicely w/ a Power Fit rotation!

And, I love her attitude!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 06:40 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Just did. Will post a review after I try it out.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 06:53 PM  
MsThistlebottom

It just arrived! It's a pressed DVD--yay! I'm going to do a few of the workouts tonight and report back.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old 05-31-16, 10:35 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I wrote a longer review, full of snarky comments, but I'm revising it to this abbreviated version.

In short: I did two of the workouts--balance plus arms and shoulders. And then I quietly and unceremoniously Joni-O’d it.

Old 06-01-16, 12:55 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
I wrote a longer review, full of snarky comments, but I'm revising it to this abbreviated version.

In short: I did two of the workouts--balance plus arms and shoulders. And then I quietly and unceremoniously Joni-O’d it.
Aww!

How was the music? Specifically, what didn't you like? One VFers trash could be
anothers treasure!

Details, details please

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 07:22 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Oh, where do I begin?

The DVD has seven workouts, one for each day of the week and each about 20-25 minutes long. They are: balance, arms/shoulders, legs/butt, stretching, legs/butt II, arms/shoulders II, and chest/back. The two workouts I did each had their own warmup and cooldown (a big plus, IMO). The guy on the right does the “advanced” version, which I presume means slightly heavier weights. The woman on the left, the modifier, sat in a chair some of the time and used very light weights.

I did the balance workout, which included various standing moves and ended, inexplicably, with two rounds of mat work for abs: crunches, double leg raises, and bicycles. Then I did the first round of the arms and shoulders workout, which consisted of front raises, lateral raises, bicep curls, and triceps kickbacks. I Joni-O'd before I got to the second round.

The music was very quiet, almost indiscernible, and appeared to be on a loop.

The music wasn't the deal breaker for me, though. It was the almost total lack of cuing, mirror or otherwise. At some point in the last half of the balance workout, I began idly wondering how many reps we were supposed to be doing. Suddenly she announced that “eight is the magic number.” Not that that mattered because she repeatedly lost count and seemed to be making things up as she went along. I did not notice many form pointers except during the first half of the arms and shoulders workout, where we were instructed to "tighten everything."

The instructor shouts and dances and stomps with enthusiasm. She breaks out into little manic happy dances between workouts because she's clearly so excited to be in that bright little studio helping other people. I do admire her enthusiasm and energy. It's clear that she's in great shape (for any age, not just 64), and I love the idea of "owning your age" and being the best you can be. And who knows--maybe this DVD will turn out to be another VFer's treasure.

Old 06-01-16, 07:53 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
The instructor shouts and dances and stomps with enthusiasm. She breaks out into little manic happy dances between workouts because she's clearly so excited to be in that bright little studio helping other people. I do admire her enthusiasm and energy.
I saw that happy dance in the preview clip. Truth be told, I was hoping that it was from some behind-the-scenes goofing around.

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on it!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 08:03 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african american, black fitness instructor, female fitness instructor, lorraine gantt, own your age