Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-16, 01:02 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Exclamation More revelations about The Biggest Loser

Have you guys seen this article?

Biggest Loser drugged us so we'd lose weight:
http://nypost.com/2016/05/22/biggest...x-contestants/

Apparently some former contestants wanted to come forward after the other study was published to point out that the study didn't have all the facts about what went on behind the scenes.
Old 05-22-16, 01:53 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow, that's crazy. I believe what these people are saying about their experiences, but it does seem like the show has changed from season to season. I've read numerous articles about past contestants, and people's experiences have been quite varied. Some still really defend the show and say it was a wonderful thing for them. Others, clearly, have not felt the same.

I do really hope it will be cancelled. I loved Yoni Freedhoff's comments!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 02:06 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Yep, I totally agree with this statement by him:

"It is the worst thing to happen to sensible weight loss, ever.”
Old 05-22-16, 06:26 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I don't like this quote right here:

Quote:
Freedhoff says it’s extremely rare for an obese person to permanently lose half their body weight through diet and exercise: surgery is the only way,

How terrible!! When I lost all of my weight through Richard Simmons and eating right, my mom thought that I had weight loss surgery because we had been estranged for years. I told her that I ate right and exercised. She then asked again if I was telling the truth about not having surgery!! I know it may be hard for some people to believe that you can keep it off eating better and working out but it's true! The only reason I regained weight was when I was injured and could not work out. That was it. How insulting it is so say, well fat person don't bank on exercise and better eating, oh no! Go get your stomach clamped off. Wow!

If this is real as the people say it was then they were crazy to stay. Showering with no curtains, no working toilets and in the hospital with no air and smelly and taking drugs that they didn't know what they were. I would have packed up and left. These conditions sound absolutely horrendous! I am starting to think much of it is exaggerated; maybe because I am really wondering how people can stay after being insulted and ridiculed for the simplest things.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 11:18 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I hate that show.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 11:39 PM  
moonbeam31

I also have always hated that show!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 11:52 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

That show is so extreme that I believe plenty of shenanigans have gone on behind the scenes. The fact that contestants are cut off from the outside world indicates that producers use brainwashing methods to manipulate vulnerable people. It's like how the Bachelor's producers cut off contestants from the outside world and force them to sit around all day and talk about dating the Bachelor and 25 women think they have fallen in love with the same guy and cry like the world is ending when he sends them home (even though they only spoke to him for 5 minutes).

These shows are very manipulative.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 01:39 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Thanks for sharing that link Colleen, I've watched the show for one season years back, when I found it was aired locally, Jillian was one of the trainers at the time, I had no idea of all of the horrors the show involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post

How terrible!! When I lost all of my weight through Richard Simmons and eating right, my mom thought that I had weight loss surgery because we had been estranged for years. I told her that I ate right and exercised. She then asked again if I was telling the truth about not having surgery!! I know it may be hard for some people to believe that you can keep it off eating better and working out but it's true! The only reason I regained weight was when I was injured and could not work out. That was it. How insulting it is so say, well fat person don't bank on exercise and better eating, oh no! Go get your stomach clamped off. Wow!

If this is real as the people say it was then they were crazy to stay. Showering with no curtains, no working toilets and in the hospital with no air and smelly and taking drugs that they didn't know what they were. I would have packed up and left. These conditions sound absolutely horrendous! I am starting to think much of it is exaggerated; maybe because I am really wondering how people can stay after being insulted and ridiculed for the simplest things.
I didn't like that quote either, and I agree with all you said! I also don't understand why some people would stay in those situations, maybe they were enough brainwashed already to think any better, how bad.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 05:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post

Yes, I agree. I generally think very well of Yoni Freedhoff, what I've read of him (and I've read his book) is very sound, so I'm wondering if that quote was plucked out of context or more nuanced than it was presented in the article? It does seem like quite an extreme thing for him to have said!

As for people being crazy to stay, I don't know... I think many are so desperate. The show is presented to them as 'we're saving your life.' As one woman said in the article, Dr. Huizinga told her she better lose this weight or she was going to die. I think people, as Fitboop said above, are put in this environment and it can be very hard to rebel.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 06:40 AM  
RubyBlue

Yoni Freedhoff wrote a Facebook post to make it clear that his quotes were misrepresented.

It's a public post, so I presume it's OK to post:

'Today you're likely to come across a Biggest Loser article with some quotes from me. Wanted to let you know how badly the reporter misrepresented my actual statements to her. Consequently I can't recommend or share the piece as judging from how my words were used, it's difficult for me to trust the rest of the story.'

I thought I'd chip in, as I too have a lot of time for Yoni and I would hate for his views to be misinterpreted.
RubyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest loser, reality shows