Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-16, 06:18 PM  
BamaTanya

Biggest Loser success

I read the Biggest Loser thread with interest. I don't like the show's premise but I can't blame the show for poor long term results. I've been reading several books about long term success and ran across this today:

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/lifest...biggest_loser/

It does me good to hear a success story, no matter what triggered it. Maybe there are other great Biggest Loser stories, too.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 07:20 PM  
LizEMA

Thanks for sharing! That Biggest Loser follow-up article was SUCH a downer , and I kept thinking to myself how I would love to see a big article on contestants who HAD kept the weight off and wondered why no one has done a lengthy piece on THAT. I love reading about people's successes.
Old 05-08-16, 07:39 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

That's super, and I'm very glad for her!

I despise the show, but even though some (maybe most?) were seriously disadvantaged by the extreme, rapid weight loss on the show and regained the weight, it bears mentioning that many also have incorporated fitness into their lives. They continue to workout and exhibit other improved health markers as a result. Even if they have regained all their weight. And that's awesome.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 09:50 PM  
Chomper

It depends on how you define "success." The study was a "downer" even though the participants are considered quite successful compared to participants in other studies? Or it was a downer because the participants are considered so successful compared to others?

Runner's World put a different spin on the study.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-l...er-contestants

There is a section of thr article that is confusing to me, maybe a typo, or just not explained well enough. About whether metabolic adaptation caused the weight regain or not- since all these studies can do is show correlation, it is not possible to prove causation. It seems like fighting to keep the weight off keeps the metabolism slowed (because the people who were more successful at keeping the weight loss had slower metabolisms), and either the people who regained more weight had better metabolic increases from regaining weight OR never had as much metabolic slowdown but didn't keep up the lifestyle improvements as strictly OR some combination of both OR some other thing or things altogether.

Anyway, my take on it is success can mean losing a little bit of the weight, becoming physically active, improving some eating habits, and getting on with the process of living and enjoying life.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 12:28 AM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

On Point did a nice show about the study about a week ago. You can listen to it here. Sean Algaier, contestant on Season 8 of The Biggest Loser, was on the show (along with others). Even though he said he it is now tough to not gain weight, he also spoke about how he doesn't regret going on the show and is now a healthier person. Thought it might be worth a listen for those interested!
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 09:07 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Thanks!!! It's great to hear about success stories from the show. I imagine that a lot of the participants are healthier now than they were pre-BL....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest loser