Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-16, 12:47 PM  
LauraBella

Comparing BARRE Streaming Options?

I'm considering opting into one of the Streaming subscriptions for barre workouts. I'm wondering if you can help me decide? These are some of my questions:
  • What are my options? I am familiar with Barre3 and Suzanne Bowen, but I am not sure what else is out there?
  • Can you compare the content (results and enjoyablity) of the options?
  • Any technical issues (or technical awesomeness) with any service?
  • HOW are you streaming? What options? What options are available for playing them via Roku?

I really LOVE barre/ballet type workouts, so this may be a good option for me (although, considering they comprise 1/3 to 1/2 my collection, we can make a decent argument that I have enough).

ALL thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-25-16, 06:51 AM  
starbelly

I have used only Barre3 and Suzanne Bowen's sites. I find Suzanne's workouts more challenging, but she has switched from total body workouts to more of the shorter targeted segments and I prefer to press play on one and just go so I stopped her service. When I started with her she added new videos at least weekly, but the workouts became shorter and less frequent over time. You do get access to the whole library which is nice. Another plus for her is that you can load the video ahead of time which means no buffering if your internet connection is slow.

Barre3 does full body workouts and has 30, 40 and 60 minute options (the 20 minute videos are just segments of the longer workouts). I am new to the service so I am not sure how often new content is added. Compared to Suzanne Bowen, this is pretty pricey at $15/month, but I got a Cyber Monday deal for $60/year. I have not had any problems with buffering, though my connection is good. The instructors' endless chatter gets on my nerves a bit and I think that I feel more "worked out" after an SBF session. I love Barre3 core work with the ball but wish that their upper body work had more oomph. The 60 minute options are definitely better in that regard.

A lot of people like Barlates and the instructor has some free workouts on youtube. I don't think that she offers a streaming option, but she does sell downloads.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 07:37 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Barre3 adds one new workout per month. They sometimes have good sales on their streaming prices.

I've done Bar Method streaming - I really liked the workouts, but it was too pricey for my pocketbook these days ($35 per month). I never did figure out how frequently they add new content. I had no technical issues with their site. It was simple to cancel my monthly streaming.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 09:18 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Agree with Starbelly that some of the Barre3 workouts are overly chattery (I did one that I described as "frenetic," OMG) but not all of the instructors are like that. What I enjoy about Barre3 is that most of them give you a low impact cardio component so you feel great afterward. I've been using the service since making the Cyber Monday order and despite laying off most of last week, my lower body really feels stronger and they help my back, too. My plan is to supplement Barre3 with Margaret Richard upper body workouts. The bonus with Barre3 is you also get a lot of great recipes, and now there is a music off option.

Can't compare the others at this point.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 10:06 AM  
cherimac

I did SBF, Bar Method, and barre3. I much prefer barre3. SBF is more pieces, as stated above. Bar Method was good, but more slow-and expensive.Barre3 is a nice fusion of Pilates, yoga, and barre, and has a cardio element for me. I also like that all the workouts are complete, not parts or targets. Plus, SBF hurts my low back. Barre3 becomes more challenging the more I do it.

Oh, I did a few P57 and they were way too frantic and chatty. They're expensive too. Barre3 seems to hit that happy medium for me, but it depends on what you like in a workout.
Old 01-25-16, 10:16 AM  
prettyinpink

I really like Barre3. I've been doing it at least a couple of times per week for over a year, and haven't gotten tired of it, which is saying something for me.
They get more challenging the more you do them, and because many of the movements are slower, you can go deeper, use heavier weights (I use 4-5 lbs). I do add other things during the week, sometimes some upper body weight work and always lower body and cardio.

I did SBF streaming for a while and enjoyed it. At the time, I thought many of the segments were too easy. She might have more options now, but then, there were only a few labeled as "advanced." I like her cardio better than her other segments.

Bar method streaming is the most challenging at-home barre I have done. The music is much better than the other options, and I liked the format--although the format seems to vary less than others, so I guess that could get old if you like to feel there is more variety. The arm work is pretty much always exactly the same, there are only two or three different movements that they use (though barre3 is similar that way). But I think the workout as a whole is more challenging than any of the DVDs (P57, Pure Barre, SB, etc.) or other streaming I have done. It's just too expensive for me to continue indefinitely, but I do plan to subscribe again for a month or two at a time.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 11:33 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I did a month of Bar Method back in December. They offered it for only $3! The classes were great--very much like live classes, which I really enjoy. But the regular monthly cost is $30 or $35 and that's way more than I'd want to pay. In fact, I'm not really a fan of regular, monthly charges for things. I think it can really add up and it stresses me out. As in, I have to get so much use out of it in order to make it 'worth it.' So I'm really just not a fan of streaming. But I did really enjoy Bar Method. I liked it better than barre3 or Suzanne Bowen. And of course, Physique 57 is insanely priced! Great workouts, but way too expensive. I would never even consider it regularly because of the price.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 01:55 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I stream through my home computer or Apple TV with my iPad. My Fluidity bar is in the room with the computer, so that's were I most often do my workouts. I haven't had any technical problems.

I agree that Bar Method is the toughest out there, but the variety in the online workouts is practically non-existent and it became boring to me very quickly. They also don't have a huge library and they're super expensive.

Barre3 is good, but I agree with Pat58 in that I find them very chatty. There are only about 4 or so instructors whose workouts I enjoy and unfortunately, they don't feature as much in the newer releases. I also have a problem with the breathy way of speaking that they almost all use and the fact that they say, "You can follow so and so or I" drives me up a tree. They all say it, even though grammatically it should be so and so or me. One final negative for me and Barre3 is their upper body work. It's pretty weak and a bit repetitive. I find a lot of their moves irritate my rotator cuff which I injured 2 years ago.

I have a soft spot for Suzanne Bowen. Her workouts are more challenging for me in some ways than Barre 3 and I definitely get DOMS from her stuff. I agree that it would be great if she had more full body workouts on her site, however, it is a breeze to find add-ons on her site. Also, with her rotations, it's really easy to add a cardio workout to her workout of the day and not feel like you're over training. I also find that by doing barre splits I push myself harder. She's also my barre hero...her story is inspiring to me and the fact that she has the Barre Amped business plus her online deal is amazing. She's also super involved in her SBF private Facebook page. As far as content goes, I believe Suzanne has the biggest library.

As you can see from the different responses, barre preference is very personal. Good luck deciding!

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-16, 02:23 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post

I also have a problem with the breathy way of speaking that they almost all use and the fact that they say, "You can follow so and so or I" drives me up a tree. They all say it, even though grammatically it should be so and so or me.
I find this to be the most annoying grammatical error of all time. It's simultaneously pretentious and wrong. You saved me! LOL. Total deal-breaker. I'm not the grammar police, but this one mistake makes my skin crawl.

Thank you all. I'm going to ponder this some more. Everyone's thoughts have been helpful!
Old 01-25-16, 02:45 PM  
LaCatrina

Aside from the options mentioned here, you have Ballet Beautiful's custom subscription, Sleek Technique and Kathryn Morgan's classes on powhow

http://www.powhow.com/classes/kathryn-morgans-studio

http://www.sleektechnique.com/on-demand-workouts/

https://store.balletbeautiful.com/cu...ustom-workout/

Tags
barre, barre3, streaming services