Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-16, 01:05 PM  
mle777

I hated Bob as a host, but I've never liked Bob so seeing him constantly was just too much for me. I grew up watching Day's of Our Lives, so Alli (or Sammy as we like to call her) just has a special place in my heart.

I'm tired of the sob stories.

I was hoping the two scales would speed up the weigh-in process, but it seemed to drag it out even further.

If it weren't for Dolvett (who's arms have gotten HUGE!) and Jen, I would have stopped watching sooner. I just love Jen. She cries at least once every episode. As a fellow crier, I appreciate that

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 04:18 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have watched past seasons, and I feel that the show now has lost any feeling of being genuine. It all seems contrived. They pick contestants with tragic histories. Dolvett plays the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with the yelling sergeant in the gym and the fake sweet psychologist outside the gym. Jen is the most genuine one because she hasn't been on the show long enough. Bob is Bob. He needs time to be an effective host because right now, he is speaking off the top of his head and is not polished. He made too many personal comments. Alison was more professional and unbiased.

It made me uncomfortable every time someone lost 7 or 8 pounds in a week and felt like a failure. I also felt very bad for the women who were below the yellow line. I think the show should give people a couple of weeks to learn nutrition and get into the routine of working out, rather than kicking them off so soon.

I don't like the 2 scales because you can't compare 2 people's progress. The contestants just hear the number of pounds of the other person, but it is not a fair comparison.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-16, 11:42 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Bob means to be very involved and for this season to be emotional.

Some have complained that they work too hard to get these contestants to lose weight without figuring out why they gained it in the first place. I think that's the point this season, to work on the why.

http://parade.com/440397/alison-asht...ser-season-17/
Old 03-01-16, 07:49 AM  
Rhonda

Now that it is over, did anyone finish watching it. We watched the whole season but DVR'd it. It was nice to see it end so quickly with two weigh-ins each week so two people were voted off.

The sob stories, enough is enough.

The finale was just crazy. It could have been an hour as they just replayed so much footage, which was nice, we just scanned right through.

Wasn't happy with the two that won as they were not my favorites. Won't say who they were in case someone still has to watch, if anyone even was
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 10:12 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Agreed. I wasn't fond of the winners but it was no surprise. They had a very strong support system.

Love the fact that basically, they put two episodes in the 2 hour time slot. Two weeks, two eliminations. Made the time fly by.

I always enjoy the finale.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 10:46 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I watched the season (mostly on fast forward) and agree with mle777 that Allie was a better host than Bob...I was pretty lukewarm the whole season. I do like Dolvett and Jen (Dolvett's bad cop routine did get old though), and do also like Bob but didn't see any value added in edging out Allie.

I totally agree with Pie and was not happy with the two that won, as they were definitely not my favorites. In fact, I thought a few of the contestants were somewhat unlikable or just unmemorable.

I used to hang on to this show but I think I've officially lost interest now. The formula is just so old and tired. I wouldn't be surprised if they have their final season soon, just like American Idol.
Old 03-01-16, 11:07 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I also DVR'd it and watched the show by FF'ing through a lot, especially the personal stories. I was not happy about the twins winning, especially after seeing their attitude towards the women on the show. I was hoping that one of the women would win. I agree that the show is getting stale and predictable. I like Jen and think she seems genuine. Dolvett has become too arrogant. Bob is better as a trainer than a host.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 01:20 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I also DVR'd it and watched the show by FF'ing through a lot, especially the personal stories. I was not happy about the twins winning, especially after seeing their attitude towards the women on the show. I was hoping that one of the women would win. I agree that the show is getting stale and predictable. I like Jen and think she seems genuine. Dolvett has become too arrogant. Bob is better as a trainer than a host.
I totally agree with every single thing you said! I mostly fast forwarded but I did catch when the twins were angry after a challenge and made derogatory comments about women. I was not at all impressed to see them win, they seemed very arrogant. I always appreciate it when a woman wins, since it is harder for them (us) to lose weight than men. Also on the rare occasion when older folks win. Remember a guy a few seasons ago - elderly - who won the take home prize, on the "white" team? Also I think an older woman on the "pink" team won the show a few seasons back.

I also think Jen is very genuine. And that Bob is a better trainer than host.
Old 03-01-16, 02:15 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I don't mind the sob stories at all. At one time I was suicidal due to my weight and other things that caused the weight and I was severely depressed for years. It actually makes me angry when people dismiss depression as just not having a good day. Wow it infuriates me! There was a show called Heavy years ago that had the contestants see a psychologist about the weight issues. I wish that others understood that there is almost always a mental aspect to weight issues! I do not like weight loss shows that do not focus on this. There is a show called my 600 pound life and in telling their stories pretty much all of them suffered sexual abuse as a child yet there is no therapeutic attention called in unless the weight loss after surgery is stymied and that has happened a handful of times. I understand BL is a contest so we just have to understand that it is how it is played. I only watch for the weigh ins and I still am waiting for someone to tell why only the ladies are constantly shown it seems in sports bra and pants, belly and rolls out while the guys wear shirts, covering it all.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 02:51 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
..I still am waiting for someone to tell why only the ladies are constantly shown it seems in sports bra and pants, belly and rolls out while the guys wear shirts, covering it all.
This. Oh my word, it is so unbelievably sexist. I can't stand it.

All the gripes about this show that have been mentioned are what led me to stop watching. They need SO MUCH MORE emphasis on nutrition, and much gentler exercise in the beginning. I've always been so gobsmacked that they don't have these people IN A POOL more often. The extreme exercise-as-torture makes me crazy.

Sorry. I know some people really like it. I just think it could be so so so so much better.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest loser, bob harper