Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-15, 03:24 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Getting to Know You - Holiday 2015 Edition

I know there are several threads of the "getting to know you" variety right now and I thought it might be nice to have a general one. Note the fitness type questions to keep this minimally on topic.

1. Which Winter Holiday(s) do you celebrate? (Christmas, Hanaukkah, Kwanzaa, multiple?)

2. Do you go all-out with your holiday decor or keep it minimal?

3. What has been your favorite holiday fitness gift to date? The worst?

4. What are your favorite holiday traditions, in real life and on VF (if you have them)

5. What are your favorite holiday foods?

6. What's special about your holiday this year?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 03:25 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

1. Which Winter Holiday(s) do you celebrate? (Christmas, Hanaukkah, Kwanzaa, multiple?) We celebrate Christmas.

2. Do you go all-out with your holiday decor or keep it minimal? Usually we travel to see family, so we are absolutely minimal with decorations. This year, we are having family here, so we bought a Christmas tree and are loading it down with ornaments. The rest of the house will be minimal.

3. What has been your favorite holiday fitness gift to date? My mini BOSU DH gave me years ago was my favorite from family.

4. What are your favorite holiday traditions, in real life and on VF (if you have them) I always participate in the Holiday Secret Santa exchange here at VF. Opening my box has become an event for both DH and me. I also always read the thread about the New Years exercise marathon. We often are coming home and the timing is bad for me to commit to a time, but I really like reading about it and picturing people around the world kicking off the new year with exercise. In real life, we usually are not here for the holiday and some past traditions have fallen by the wayside in the past few years. I’ll eventually create new ones.

5. What are your favorite holiday foods? Turkey and gravy. Growing up, my family always had ham for Thanksgiving and Christmas was turkey. Weird I know, but it created my favorite food at Christmas.

6. What's special about your holiday this year? My parents are coming here and we’ll celebrate at home this year.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-13-15, 03:39 PM  
cherimac

1. Which Winter Holiday(s) do you celebrate? (Christmas, Hanaukkah, Kwanzaa, multiple?)

Christmas

Pertty minimal here. A tree, a few indoor decorations, a light or two outside. My 18 yo daughter does most of the decorating-she loves it.

I've never gotten a fitness related gift for Christmas.

4. What are your favorite holiday traditions, in real life and on VF (if you have them)

Candlelight Christmas Eve Service followed by a small family dinner and watching It's a Wonderful Life. We always watch A Christmas Story on Christmas Day. I also love participating in the VF Secret Santa Exchange as I usually get money from family. The exchange gives me gifts to open and a chance to shop for other fitness lovers.

My Dad's authentic, homemade Scottish Shortbread; My Mother In Law's Christmas Dinner feast the weekend before Christmas.

We decided as a family to upgrade to a smart TV and skip kid/parent gift giving(my "kids" are 19, 18, and 15). It has been so nice not to think about gifts to get, except for my parents and brother and my husband's parents and sister. I am amazed at how much more I enjoy things without that pressure. As you can tell, gift giving isn't my forte!
Old 12-13-15, 03:44 PM  
cherimac

Great idea, Laura. Thanks! I hope you enjoy not traveling this year. We travel to see my family the week between Christmas and New Year.
Old 12-13-15, 04:29 PM  
bubbles76

Christmas

Minimal, but not by choice This is my favorite holiday and I would love to decorate big. However, Big Bubble is not willing to do the stuff outside, and is convinced I would electrocute myself, so we are keeping it minimal. I have a feeling that will change next year.

My favorite was last year when Big Bubble bought me a stash of fitness dvds. It's totally unlike him to support my habit, so I was so surprised and pleased . I haven't had a worst holiday fitness gift.

Swapping off Christmas celebrations at my brothers and my house. Sadly, I'm not a part of that anymore, as I'm too far away from home and family.

Sweet potato souffle

I'm not cooking a big fancy dinner for Christmas and we're not traveling New Christmas tradition -- homemade lasagna, breadsticks, and salad for Christmas dinner! Seriously, it takes me two solid days to cook for Thanksgiving and I just can't anymore. Especially since it's not like I'm having company. I just can't cook small holiday dinners after so many years of cooking big meals, so we always have so much to freeze. So I'm cooking a small dinner that I make very well (seriously, my co-worker born in Italy loves my lasagna!) and we will celebrate lightly.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 04:45 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Christmas

I'm somewhere in between. I put up a tree, outside lights, and moderate decorations around my condo.

My family has, until recently, kind of poo-poo'd my home fitness lifestyle so I've never received much in the way of fitness presents. On the flip side, I've never received a fitness dud for the holidays.

My sister and I get together early in December for a shopping extravaganza day. I love participating in the VF holiday secret Santa gift exchange. I must watch the Muppets Christmas Carol every year as well as The Sound of Music.

I love how many gingerbread items are available this time of year. I also adore hot apple cider!

It's another year that my family is all healthy and will be together. That makes every year like this special.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 05:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I love participating in the VF holiday secret Santa gift exchange.
Yeah, I'm grateful that you do, too! (She was my Secret Santa this year... )

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-13-15, 05:17 PM  
MathTeacher

Christmas

We are in between. We decorate the living room only with a tree and garland. There are two twinkle trees outside on the porch.

Every time I ask for something fitness I usually get "No really, what do you want?"

I have bought a nativity every year since DH and I have been married. It is fun looking for something different. When people ask how many I plan to buy I tell them as many as I want.

We have something different every year so I don't have a favorite food. I love Southern Comfort Vanilla Spice Egg Nog. It is available only during the holidays. Does that count?

It will be very simple, just DH, my kids and me.
Old 12-13-15, 05:30 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Solstice

minimal

Favorite to date, of all time? That would be my kayak. If for this year, then the P.I.N.K. set. Worst would be roller blades.

Celebrating St. Nicklaus on Dec 6; I work at a park and have run Winter Solstice campfires for the past few years - lots of fun; holiday parties with friends

Polish sausage & sauerkraut (my family is Eastern European heritage); eggnog with whiskey - yumm!

I will be taking a road trip to visit friends at the ocean!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 04:56 PM  
donnamp

What a fun thread!

Christmas

We're middle of the road, we have two trees (a big one and a small table top tree) and do some outdoor lights.

Well, one I gave to myself a few years ago was a bunch of Classical Stretch DVDs when they had their holiday 20% off sale. Also one year a good friend gave me the Firm Express set! I can't think of a worst one...

Decorating, watching holiday movies, buying a new ornament each year. I used to bake, but I cut back due to DH not wanting to eat that stuff! I also used to enjoy doing Christmas cards, but I have cut back on that also due to time. We also go to church Christmas Eve.

Lasagne - it is our Christmas eve meal!

Another year to be together as a family! Also, like Cheri, shopping has been minimal - my DD wanted an iPad and that is a Christmas in and of itself!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you