Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-15, 07:24 PM  
lorajc

Anyone else Ever Had to Heal from Multiple Rib Fractures?

I just wonder if anyone here ever had t o heal from multiple 12-15 rib fractures and how long it took before you could return to your workouts? I also have exacerbation of cervical and lumbar disc hermiat ions.......surely someone here has been thru this??????
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 07:57 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Dh broke 8 ribs, lacerated his liver, collapsed a lung & his humerus required a plate to put it back together all from a zip line accident ending with a collision with a tree. Ouch! It took at least 6 weeks to even breathe without pain. This is nothing to rush. I'd ask about physical therapy for your herniated disks AFTER giving yourself time for the ribs to heal. Patience!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 04:43 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I just wonder if anyone here ever had t o heal from multiple 12-15 rib fractures and how long it took before you could return to your workouts? I also have exacerbation of cervical and lumbar disc hermiat ions.......surely someone here has been thru this??????
When does your doctor say you can do your workouts again?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 04:47 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
When does your doctor say you can do your workouts again?
Don't forget your respiratory therapist and physical therapists. With that many broken ribs I'd be surprised that you don't have both working on your case.
Old 11-09-15, 04:57 PM  
donnamp

I agree with what everyone said, don't rush the workouts, take the advice of your medical team, proceed slowly and cautiously. It isn't anything to mess with and rushing in will just likely increase your overall recovery time and possibly cause more serious injury to occur.

Kay -
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 05:45 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I agree with what everyone said, don't rush the workouts, take the advice of your medical team, proceed slowly and cautiously. It isn't anything to mess with and rushing in will just likely increase your overall recovery time and possibly cause more serious injury to occur.
I agree. Take care of yourself and let your body heal.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 07:22 PM  
Donna D

Hope you feel better soon!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 07:31 PM  
donnamp

HI,

It did just dawn on me that Lora was asking how long it takes to heal from such a thing, I have no personal experience - thankfully! But, I would think for the broken bones alone it would be at least 8 weeks. The only experience I have w/ a break is my DD fractured her collarbone a few summers ago - keep in mind she is a kid, healthy, no pre-existing injuries and she was sidelined for about 6-8 weeks from a single fracture - (again, a kid, no pre-existing injuries, no complications). And, it wasn't until 6 months later that she was given the ok to assume all of her normal activities - I add the caveat that one of her normal activities is horseback riding and the fear w/ that was a fall could potentially re-break the bone. Kids heal faster than adults, that is what the ortho said - in fact he said an adult w/ the same break would have been in pain and laid up for a lot longer.

As disheartening as it may be, I think you are probably looking at several months of recovery time. And, when you do start back, it will likely need to be a slow start - preferably w/ a PT or other professional who is experienced in rehabing the types of injuries you sustained and your pre-existing conditions.

I know it is frustrating - ((HUGS)) maybe use this time to pursue another hobby of interest to you - that can keep you busy with something else until working out becomes a regular thing again.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 02:52 PM  
lorajc

Okay- I got my reports -- It's only 9 ribs!! So that's a bit better. My breathing isn't that bad and I didn't rupture a lung or anything. I do have asthma....but they sent me home with this breathing treatment to keep my lungs open. I'm hoping for the best.

My reports say I have 2 fractures in my spine and new herniated discs in my thoracic spine now, joy! Like I didn't have enough already!!

I'm just looking forward to being able to start Kundalini Meditations soon. That's at least something good for me.
Old 11-11-15, 02:56 PM  
lorajc

If anyone has any good rehab dvd's please pm me and maybe we can arrange a trade. I have a bunch of dvds for sale on vf roost that i can trade instead.

Tags
injuries, injury, rib injury