Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-15, 10:31 AM  
TinierTina

Encroaching Mild Cognitive Impairment

1. Why were you given your name?/Why did you choose your VF name? (choose one)

I chose my VF name, originally based on an insult about my (relative) diminishment [and gain] in size, which had never, ever, ever been that stable. Now, it is quite literal, (and a little too poignant for words) as I did weigh - when I last dared get on a scale - 110 pounds less than I'd had at age 24 ... absolutely no weight loss surgery or drugs of any kind, just chronic medical conditions ...

2. What was your first paying job?

Clerical worker in a local government agency (summer job)
But, more importantly I liked being a day care home owner's hourly personal assistant ... (summer/hourly)

3. What is your favorite form of exercise?

Cardio dance-based (low impact, high intensity) exercise, is what I need to do. The only exercise I actually don't dread doing beforehand (sorry, Leslie Sansone - you're not it!) is trance dance ... (used to be outdoor walking, but I can't get up the speed anymore) ...

4. What toppings do you like to put on your pizza?

Type 2 diabetics such as myself (I am currently well-controlling of this condition) find it a little hard to make pizza from scratch ... the rest won't cut it. It's been too long since memories of "white pizza" ... have to take Lactaid aforehand ... can't answer this question intelligently. Next?!?

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do?

Finally sample a series of senior-friendly [NON freight-boat, luxury] cruises that doesn't have its nose up in the air ... I already have something like seasickness in the morning sometimes, so I'm not too afraid of it

6. What motivates you to exercise?

Encroaching mild cognitive impairment ... and, of course, my respiratory rate and circulatory problems. I know that does not sound exciting.

[You think I'd say muscles?]

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 10:33 AM  
bjammin13
VF Supporter

1. Why were you given your name? I don't know, lol /Why did you choose your VF name? Its a username I have used for years my hubby's name abreviated and 13is my fav #

2. What was your first paying job? Broiler Burger

3. What is your favorite form of exercise?I love it all!!!!

4. What toppings do you like to put on your pizza? not big on pizza , but pineapple and jalepenos, way easy on the cheese. too much melted cheese grosses me out

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do? Train my arse off, study ballet, travel with my family. Learn an instrument and other language

6. What motivates you to exercise? no motivation required its part of who I am , its a need for physicality
Old 10-26-15, 10:52 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyveg View Post

I want to say yoga, but my cardiologist said to view yoga as a "treat." I guess riding my bike--although it has stayed in the garage the past two years. I'm kind of floundering, actually.

I had no cardiologist, just a family practice physician, and at a stable low-enough BMI for years prior, no proactivity as to my possible development of diabetes (long-term hereditary cholesterol patient, taking statin drugs) ... but nearly a year before diagnosis - BAM, I felt a cognitive diminishment, and even a little bit depressed and I had an idea what was causing them ... and wow! The 4x a week lengthy, home, self-sequenced vinyasa practice had to be partially gotten rid of ...
Myyogaonline taught me belly dance. The rest is history!!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 10-26-15, 10:52 AM  
owltx

Fun thread!

1. Why were you given your name? Why did you choose your VF name?
My mom was going to name me Prudence and my sister Patience. Thank goodness my father won that one! for my VF name, i live in tx and the owl was one of my school mascots.

2. What was your first paying job?
Babysitting - it was good money!

I am a sucker for heartpounding cardio!

4. What toppings do you like to put on your pizza?
Jalapenos and tomatoes.

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do?
Hmmm . . .definitely travel. If I truly had a year off, I would try to arrange it so that I could go to classes full time to broaden my skill set and step outside of my work niche a bit.

6. What motivates you to exercise?
STRESS RELIEF! Big time. And functionality.

-Stephanie
owltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 11:27 AM  
Sollamyn

1. Why were you given your name?/Why did you choose your VF name? I don't know why I was named Donna, so..I chose my VF name because of my cat, Solomon, who passed away over a year before I joined VF, but I was still missing him a lot. Sollamyn is my own feminized version of his name.

2. What was your first paying job? My dad would occasionally pay me and my siblings to do odd jobs on the farm. My first real paycheck, however, was from a student receptionist job at the university where I attended school.

3. What is your favorite form of exercise? walking outdoors

4. What toppings do you like to put on your pizza? I prefer thin crust pizza with sausage, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and olives.

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do? With my pay? I couldn't do too much unless I really tightened my belt. That said, I'd love to travel more. Also, I'd like to learn a musical instrument like the guitar, and I'd probably volunteer at a couple of places--an animal shelter or the local historical society--oh, and work on genealogy.

6. What motivates you to exercise? Being pain-free and helping keep my weight down to a reasonable level.

Donna
Old 10-26-15, 11:36 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do? With my pay? I couldn't do too much unless I really tightened my belt. That said, I'd love to travel more. Also, I'd like to learn a musical instrument like the guitar, and I'd probably volunteer at a couple of places--an animal shelter or the local historical society--oh, and work on genealogy.
May have to retire early, if I can't get a job soon enough; and I've been looking.

I could fantasize I'd be a pensioner above and beyond ... (and I am NOT!)—fantasizing is the greatest thing ever invented. LOOOOVE my imagination.

IT. Not Religion. IS THE OPIATE OF THE PEOPLE.

[Sorry, Karl Marx]

-Bettina

Last edited by TinierTina; 10-26-15 at 12:01 PM. Reason: The devil is not in the details
Old 10-26-15, 11:39 AM  
ncl

1. Why were you given your name?/Why did you choose your VF name? (choose one) My name is Nancy. My mom picked it because she liked it and no other reason. My VF name is my initials, at least they were my initials before I got married.

2. What was your first paying job?Cashier at Hardee's.

3. What is your favorite form of exercise? Ballroom dancing! But aside from that I really am currently enjoying dancey cardio (mostly currently Cathe Step and Kari Anderson step or hi/lo) and I am really getting into yoga lately (am very fond of Travis Eliot and actually look forward to yoga now) and some AWT (been doing Tracie Long for this lately).

4. What toppings do you like to put on your pizza? I went on a 6 month gluten free experiment 5.5 months ago so haven't had any good pizza in a long time as gluten free crust isn't that great. I usually like to load up on the veggies, especially mushrooms, fresh tomato, eggplant. There is a specialty pizza that I like with sesame seeds on the crust, mushrooms, gorgonzola, pesto swirls and toasted walnut that is called Sheer Delight and it is also the bomb diggity!

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do? I think I would do a lot of home improvement projects, dance more, travel some, start a garden and write some as well.

6. What motivates you to exercise? Exercise is my antidepressant...makes my mood and energy so much better. Also, I like feeling strong. Also, I find that I need to move physically a lot and during times I have been injured and unable to workout, I will feel very restless!

Great Thread!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 11:46 AM  
SpiritSong

1. Why were you given your name? My mom wanted a short name because we have a long Polish last name.

2. What was your first paying job? Babysitting. First paycheck job was working at a movie theater.

3. What is your favorite form of exercise? Walking, barre, fusion.

4. What toppings do you like to put on your pizza? Depends. Sometimes I like plain cheese. Sometimes bacon. If DH isn't home, onions!

5. If you had a year off with pay, what would you do? I would finally rid myself of the clutter monster that has been following me ever since I was old enough to have possessions. Exercise more. Read more. Maybe attend some of those church activities that take place during the day. Maybe try out agility with my dog (she's older, so it would need to be a low-key course).

6. What motivates you to exercise? Health. Stress relief. Sense of accomplishment when it's done.
Old 10-26-15, 12:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I selected bzar because it sounded very generic, interesting, and descriptive. I chose that name when I joined the very, very, old, and original Firm forum. when they shut it down to start a different one, yaya's opened up, and I kept the name. a few months later, I joined the VF forum and kept the name.

1st serious paying job: piano teacher while I was a junior in high school

circuits is my favorite.

spinach, mozzarella, tomatoes, ground beef.

i'd love a year off with pay! I would take classes, and volunteer at my son's high school.

health maintenance is what motivates me to exercise.

EDITED ADD: being a musician, i'm surprised at how many people wrote "learn to play an instrument." my nephew learned to play guitar watching youtube!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 01:11 PM  
54sneakers
VF Supporter

Why given name - I am named after my Mom's two best friends, Mary and Anne, but she changed it up a little with the spelling.

First paying job - cashier at Pathmark Supermarket at age 16.

Favorite form of exercise - barre and weights

Pizza toppings - I only eat pizza a couple of times a year but when I do, it is always white pizza with onions from a local artisan pizza shop.

If I had a year off - volunteer, learn another language and travel.

What motivates me to exercise - I've been working out for 30 years and it is just a part of who I am. I can't image not doing it. It's just automatic at this point.

Fun thread Laura!
54sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, user name