Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-15, 04:20 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

It's inevitable. DVDs are going to become passé, just like VHS did. We weren't happy about it then, and we aren't happy about it now, but streaming is going to become the only option in the not-so-distant future.

It's going to become a question of how to financially manage the new method of getting video content at home. With VHS tapes and DVDs, you paid a price once at the time of purchase, you owned the media, and could watch it any time for free. With streaming, you do not own any tangible media, so if the website goes off-line or closes down, you won't be able to do the workouts anymore. You have to decide if you want to subscribe to one or more than one streaming website, in order to get the variety of workouts that you want. You have to figure out if you want to pay a monthly, yearly, or daily charge for your workouts. You have to remember to cancel subscriptions that you no longer want, or risk being billed ad infinitum. As your taste and desires change, you will have to cancel subscriptions and begin new ones.

Whether or not streaming is financially advantageous or not will depend on the individual. My gut feeling is that streaming will result in a higher annual fitness video cost than purchasing DVDs (for those of us who like variety and different instructors, systems, etc.).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 04:33 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
They'll have to take my DVDs from my cold, dead hands!
They'll have to pry my VHS tapes from mine!

I would gladly switch to steaming if I could also access most of my existing collection that way. If the CIA, Charlene Prickett and Evolution back catalogues were ever converted to a streaming service, I'd sign up in a second. As someone else mentioned, I find the idea of doing a new workout everyday terrifying. I have no problems doing the same step routines over and over. I subscribe to Cathe Live, and I am enjoying it, but at least I have a good idea of what it expect with her new workouts.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 04:36 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
It's inevitable. DVDs are going to become passé, just like VHS did. We weren't happy about it then, and we aren't happy about it now, but streaming is going to become the only option in the not-so-distant future.

It's going to become a question of how to financially manage the new method of getting video content at home. With VHS tapes and DVDs, you paid a price once at the time of purchase, you owned the media, and could watch it any time for free. With streaming, you do not own any tangible media, so if the website goes off-line or closes down, you won't be able to do the workouts anymore. You have to decide if you want to subscribe to one or more than one streaming website, in order to get the variety of workouts that you want. You have to figure out if you want to pay a monthly, yearly, or daily charge for your workouts. You have to remember to cancel subscriptions that you no longer want, or risk being billed ad infinitum. As your taste and desires change, you will have to cancel subscriptions and begin new ones.

Whether or not streaming is financially advantageous or not will depend on the individual. My gut feeling is that streaming will result in a higher annual fitness video cost than purchasing DVDs (for those of us who like variety and different instructors, systems, etc.).
Then I guess it's a good thing I have a nice collection of VHS and DVD workouts and am actually way less workout dependent these days. If I had a fast internet connection available I'd have one but not because I have any desire to stream workouts.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 05:42 PM  
Loriann

Why do I like DVDs? In a word - premixes!

I subscribe to and love Cathe Live, but prefer her DVDs because I can do a premix or skip ahead or back effortlessly. One DVD can offer a multiple of different workouts.....

I am on the tail end of boomerdom.

Lori
Old 03-18-15, 06:04 PM  
mtngoat

I'm a boomer and prefer the happy medium - downloads (or ripped DVDs).

I have replaced multiple racks of DVDs and a large DVD player by two little devices each the size of a deck of cards. (Well, I still have the DVDs so I haven't replaced them, but I no longer access them.) One device is my 2TB portable hard drive, the other a media player. (I have all of my workouts backed up to a desktop external drive as well.)

While I do stream some, I prefer downloads. I like to repeat workouts - with a download, one doesn't have to worry about the site disappearing. Once downloaded, you don't need any internet connection. Most amazingly my extensive collection can fit neatly into a small bag.

I create my own premixes - can even mix and match instructors. (For example - I frequently add barre3 or HoCo abs with other workouts.)

Being in Canada, I have never traded due to high postage costs, so that isn't an issue for me. With downloads I save the high shipping costs, and hit-or-miss customs charges - can be $10+ per shipment!

I'd be happy to never have to buy a DVD again - but I'd like to be able to purchase downloads. I hope those don't disappear!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 06:21 PM  
slinks

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Then I guess it's a good thing I have a nice collection of VHS and DVD workouts and am actually way less workout dependent these days. If I had a fast internet connection available I'd have one but not because I have any desire to stream workouts.
Amen to that .. l am at the stage where l am recycling my collection and buying less, l have bought 3 dvds so far this year and l actually think that will be the end of it .. l have a nice recycling collection
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 08:30 PM  
KBear

Not a boomer. I purchased a few downloads but they were so much cheaper than DVDs. Never tried streaming.

I pick a workout depending on my mood and how much time I have. Sometimes i want something new, but a lot of times I want to do certain workout that I know what to expect. So I like to "buy" my workout, and want to be able to play whenever I want.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 09:09 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Paying for streaming is like paying rent to me. When the time is over you have nothing, where if I buy a DVD, even years I can use it (planning to workout with an old YBB this morning for a lite, fun workout) or as someone has mentioned I can also trade or gift it as well.
Yes. I like to own!

Quote:
I'm not 55 + years old but I'm buying a couple back-up DVD players this year. I have enough as it is. I'm not resistant to change as much as I'm resistant to complicating my life with yet another hopelessly consuming consumerism trend.

Last edited by Breezy Trousers; 03-19-15 at 05:47 AM. Reason: ETA - I'm not a Boomer per article's definition
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 03:52 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm not a boomer, yet I much prefer DVD or even... gasp!... VHS! I really don't mind doing my old video tapes. In fact, it can be nice to stop it and resume at the same place later on. One of our DVD players has that capability, the other does not.

The way I use exercise media simply does not make streaming a cost-effective option for me. Instructors moving to a streaming-only model will simply lose my business.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 04:11 AM  
slinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
The way I use exercise media simply does not make streaming a cost-effective option for me. Instructors moving to a streaming-only model will simply lose my business.
Couldn't agree more ...

On that note, there will always be dvds, vhs, cassettes, lps and the players these are played on .. so we will never lose out
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boomers, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds, streaming workouts, vintage vfers