Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
Boomer-DVDphile here

A-Jock
Y yo, tambien.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 11:20 AM  
RoccoLuv

I remember when I couldn't understand what the big hoopla was about getting workouts on DVD vs VHS.

The thought of having to learn a new workout everyday sounds terrible to me. Especially with heavy weight work. With DVDs I know what equipment I need, what weights I need for which move, etc.

However, discovering Buti Lite streaming last month has been the best $12 ever spent on fitness. Love love love it!
Graduate of p90x (2x), Insanity (2x), P90X+, CLX, STS, Turbo Fire, Asylum 1 & 2, JNL Fusion, Body Beast, Xtrain, Fitness is Function Kbell, Cathe Ripped with Hiit. Currently doing Edge Booty Extreme 2.
RoccoLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 11:51 AM  
cherimac

Doesn't BB do some streaming? Maybe I just thought I heard that.

I actually spend less-a good amount less-than when I bought DVDs. Even paying $12 for a presale price for Ellen Barrett's latest bugged me, especially since it was 30 minutes of total footage. For less than that I could get a month of streaming with hundreds of hours of choices.
Old 03-18-15, 11:55 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

They'll have to take my DVDs from my cold, dead hands!

There is NO streaming and not much downloading with my crappy Hughes.net satellite connection. I do have assorted downloads that I have burned to DVD. I, too, still use some VHS workouts.

I like paper books, real CDs and DVDS that I can hold in my hand. Besides, you can't trade or sell streaming workouts.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 12:02 PM  
Judy W.

Proud boomer and doer of dvds. I have plenty, but bless those good instructors who still make them!

There's just something about stalking the mailman, opening the envelope, prying through the packaging and beholding that brand new dvd. And then the joy of the preview, the notecard with all my notes and all the other great rituals!

Yes, I'm a fogey. But my money is as good as the hippest millennial's money! And I'll send it to those instructors who produce the dvd workouts I want.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 12:22 PM  
angie_nrs

Not a boomer - but I want my DVD's!!

I have a 'relationship' with some of my workouts and I just can't seem to sell them. When I die, someone will have a small fortune in workouts.

I'm old school. I still have lots of VHS tapes and have 3 VHS players to boot. I don't do premixes much so the VHS style works fine for me. I also like my DVD's and feel like I have something 'physical' that still has value even if I don't use it. I still have a flip phone, I've only ever sent 1 text, I like actual books, I drive an 11 year old car.....well, you get the idea. I'm not much into change. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I hear of sellers remorse on here all the time. I haven't really experienced that since I don't sell anything. My biggest problem is that I have so many workouts it's tough to figure out what I'm going to do every day. I guess that's why I love rotations so much.
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 12:33 PM  
antbuko

I am a boomer and I love streaming. I don't keep any music on my phone; it's all in the cloud. I would like the same for my DVD collection. I still have a ton of DVDs but I'd prefer to have them in digital format.

I enjoy Youtube work outs and right now I'm streaming Barre3. I have good internet connection so it works for me.
Old 03-18-15, 12:39 PM  
sherry7899

I am not a boomer.

I prefer dvds. I like to have a physical, tangible item. I honestly forget to do workouts if I can't actually see them! I don't want to pay for something I don't really own (streaming subscriptions). If I don't like the dvd, I can give it away, sell it or trade it. I just donated a ton to my library for either their shelves or their book sale which raises money for the library.

I only have a few VHS workouts left (and one working VCR). Anything that was not copy protected I transferred to dvd-r myself (we have a machine to do this). I kept a few of the first VHS workouts I ever bought for sentimental reasons.

The only streaming I use is you tube. I do really appreciate the ton of free workouts there, especially Jessica Smith and yoga.

Judy, your post made me smile

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 12:47 PM  
Sissy B

I'm not a boomer either and I prefer DVDs. I will use some of the free workouts available on YouTube but I don't have any paid streaming subscriptions. I have a few VHS workouts that I am keeping right now for sentimental reasons although I do still have 2 or 3 working video players at home. They get used on occasion when DD wants to watch some of her videos/movies she got when she was little.

angie-nrs - I send texts all the time, but I still have a flip phone too.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 01:16 PM  
katmom

It could get expensive if you "Joni-O" the device you are using for a streaming workout!

The satisfaction level of abruptly hitting the pause/stop on a streaming workout is not as high as hitting the eject for a DVD workout.

Tags
boomers, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds, streaming workouts, vintage vfers