Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-14, 08:17 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've always wanted to do an informal poll, looking for anec-data to see if there might be a connection between birth control pills and menopausal experiences. Did our pre-pill grandmothers have these problems? A friend of mine once suggested that by taking the pill, and suppressing these symptoms over the years, they all come out in menopause.

I really don't know. Just meandering thoughts.
I wonder about this, too, and so did my Mom. My Mom was done with everything in her early 40's. I'm not sure, but I don't think she took BCP's. If she did, it wasn't for long. I remember that she took hormones for a short period of time because her Gyno insisted on it. The hormones made her angry (LOL) so she quit with them. I took BCP's for about 20 years. Most of that time was not for BC but to help with my TTOM. In fact, the last 5 years or so I took them straight through (per Dr. orders) so as not to have TTOM's because they were so bad. I quit with BCP's in 2007 because of the side effects. Now I am 46 and still having TTOM's. I was hoping to stop early like my Mom but it hasn't happened so far. My Mom and I talked about whether or not the BCP's would make my TTOM's go on longer than hers did.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 08:48 AM  
cecififi

I have never been on the pill but had been experiencing a few peri/menopausal symptoms around the age of 45 - when my periods stopped. As I've mentioned before on here, things started with my hair thinning. I was also experiencing sudden anxiety (feeling stressed and short tempered) and waking up during the night pretty much every hour and hot flashes started like every 30 minutes too.

taking bio-identical progesterone has taken care of all my symptoms. My sleep greatly improved, hair grew in (no one ever really noticed) nicely and no more anxious feelings - well - out of the ordinary anxious feelings i mean - and hot flashes vanished.

Fast forward a year and hot flashes started up again a bit and my skin started looking dry. I also began wakening again in the night again etc..

I now take bio-identical estrogen (minimal) before bed, bio-identical testosterone (minimal) and increased my bio-identical progesterone dose. I am still ironing out the doses but hot flashes have quietened down almost entirely, sleep is better, hair thickening even more and skin is looking better but I think it's cos ive started back brushing my skin again - works wonders - and I make my own vitamin C serum for my face (brightens skin nicely).

My father's side of the family experienced all these symptoms too. My dad's sisters all had extremely thin hair - so I was glad to find a solution fairly quickly. I just wish someone could have helped me sooner. I feel I suffered quietly.

I'm now 48 years old, feel pretty good and maintain my weight. That said, I cannot get over how trim I am but how mildly chubby my belly has become Hmmm. belly fat is my next thing to figure out and conquer.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:02 AM  
Vee

I have been on birth control pills for just two months of my life.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:06 AM  
mtngoat

I am happy to be on the other side! My actual transition wasn't too bad (the symptoms I had were likely due to fibroids - I never had them diagnosed, but knew that they would shrink and become a non-issue after menopause.)

I completed menopause at 57.3. On the very upper edge of normal. I did take BCP for about 10 years in my 20s. While not looking particularly young, I am just now starting to get some 'sparklers' in my hair, so I think I am a late bloomer. My Dad didn't go grey until his 70s. My Mom dyed her hair, so who knows?

I was able to lose the weight I had gained during peri-menopause 'more' easily after. (Not easy, but it's all relative!)

I am happiest to report that my brain fog has pretty well cleared up. I really wasn't sure if I'd get my original mind back - but for better or worse it's back!

And no periods! It's all good! (Went through naturally - I don't do doctors. I know some day I'll likely have to, but not until then.)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:10 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I have been on birth control pills for just two months of my life.
I think that if I add up all the time, in my 20s, that I was on birth control, it might add up to 2 years, or a little less.

I never liked the idea of a medication that messed with my body every single day when I was healthy.

Both times I started on BCPs, that idea of interfering, chemically/hormonally, with a perfectly healthy body bothered me too much to continue.

I really regret ever going on BCPs at all, but in the 70s and 80s, I didn't have access to the research, nor would I have understood it. Now we have access to a great deal more research, even though the majority of it doesn't get reported.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I was on BC pills for years, and had a pretty easy menopause.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:20 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've always wanted to do an informal poll, looking for anec-data to see if there might be a connection between birth control pills and menopausal experiences. Did our pre-pill grandmothers have these problems? A friend of mine once suggested that by taking the pill, and suppressing these symptoms over the years, they all come out in menopause.

I really don't know. Just meandering thoughts.
I'm another one who never took birth control pills. My experience through menopause was easy and fast. My periods started becoming irregular around age 52 and I was done about 18 months later. And as mentioned in my earlier post, my symptoms were minimal. I do wonder if taking/not taking the pill makes a difference...

But then there are people (Sue) who did take take the pill and had an easy time of it too. Who knows?
Old 08-09-14, 09:49 AM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I'm another one who never took birth control pills. My experience through menopause was easy and fast. My periods started becoming irregular around age 52 and I was done about 18 months later. And as mentioned in my earlier post, my symptoms were minimal. I do wonder if taking/not taking the pill makes a difference...

But then there are people (Sue) who did take take the pill and had an easy time of it too. Who knows?
I didn't start taking BC until I was in my late 30's, but I haven't had a tough time of it.
Old 08-09-14, 09:54 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
This is a very encouraging thread, I just turned 41 so I probably have a ways to go yet. But I am hopeful that menopause is a non event for me, or gives me little trouble. ...
^ This!

I'll be 39 in Feb, so I know I might still have deal with TOM for a while (which are quite painful and intense every cycle -I suppose it's genetic since all of the women on my mother's side have had it in this intensity) but I can honestly say I'm looking forward to not have it anymore one day down the road!
Both my mother and grandmother had their menopause ~mid/end 40's and dealt with horrible hot flashes... so I'm somewhat mentally prepared that I might have to face the same 'challenge'... but at the same time both didn't exercise nor paid real attention to healthy eating, so I'm hoping that'll have a positive influence in my 'outcome'!

Oh and as to BC, I was on the pill in my 20's, then got the implant for 1-2 yrs and once my son was born (9 years ago), DH had a vasectomy so since then I'm completely free of taking anything!
Not sure if it'll make a difference; I know my mother didn't take any BC after I was born and still had a bad time.. [But then again, total different lifestyle!]

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:56 AM  
suzannaerin

The thought of no more cramps, no need for birth control, wearing white pants/shorts w/out worry, and not having to spend money on tampons or midol should take the sting out of the inevitability of menopause for the young set.

I attribute my relatively easy menopause to my BCP. At 51, I'm still on them because I'm not sure I'm through the change yet. Gyn has threatened to cut me off soon, much to my chagrin.

For menopause, you really just need to invest in a good fan, tweezers, and a magnifying mirror for those chin hairs!

As for looking older, I see aging as a privilege that sadly, not all of us gets to experience.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, middle-aged women, mononucleosis, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause, vintage vfers