Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-14, 01:10 PM  
amoodygirl

Menopause is a welcome friend!

I'm 56, soon to be 57. I've lived my entire life with horrible cramps and heavy periods. About 3 years ago I started missing periods and had my final (and most miserable period) in September of 2011 - and that was it! Yes, I had some hot flashes for about a year and I don't sleep like I used to but, overall, it hasn't been bad at all. I did take some over the counter remedies that really helped to alleviate the symptoms. If anyone wants any info - pm me, we're not supposed to discuss this on the boards.

I come from a family of women with a small history of osteoporosis so I was very, very aware of lifestyle, exercise, etc. in regards to bone loss. I did have a bone scan and, shockingly, the doctor said my bones look like a 19 year old's! I'm still shocked about that but I'll take it. Weight bearing exercise, trying to eat a calcium rich diet, and probably just plain luck and some of the good genes saved me.

So, I have no complaints about menopause. It's been a welcome relief!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:33 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I think some of the scary menopause posts here lately are extremely discouraging for our younger VFers. I went through it and am still alive to tell the tale.

Sure, there are very real issues with peri-menopause and menopause. But, I don't think one can blame ALL ills on menopause. Some of these issues are from just plain getting older. After 50, you are dealing with choices you made all your life. Food choices, activity choices, smoking and drinking choices, sun bathing/tanning booth choices, etc. Some issues are hereditary.

I was so glad to be done with my period. It started when I was 11 years old! I had severe, sometimes debilitating Endometriosis for 40 years. And acne that wouldn't die. (Puberty was a way worse nightmare than menopause for me personally.)

I gained weight around menopause and then I lost it. Menopausal weight gain does not have to be a permanent addition. And, my face (mostly) cleared up. I have bone loss, but so do many folks over 50. Even men get bone loss. There are the wrinkles. In my youth, I spent every summer at the beach, rarely using sunscreen, so there is sun damage. I do what I can to alleviate these issues.

All in all, menopause for me was like getting out of jail.

Maybe we can hear from a few other VFers who found menopause is not the end of the world.

(Or, maybe it is just me?)
Thank you for starting this thread, Alta. It is troubling when I read a post that states that this person has been scared of menopause due to the threads here.

Well, I'm happy to say that I pretty much breezed through menopause. The only thing that really changed with me (despite losing the periods) is that I had pretty bad hot flashes to the point that I felt like the sheets were even burning my skin. I took ZERO meds to help me get through this phase of life.

As far as weight gain goes, I did gain a bit of weight during peri-menopause, but I got pretty complacent due to ditching the scale, something that I will never do again. I lost all the of the weight that I gained, plus some, and my weight and body fat percentage is low.

Despite my lower back surgeries and being 57, my workouts are still intense and I honestly feel great physically. Granted, I do wake up every morning stiff, but that is due to my fusion. Working out is what keeps my body from falling apart.

Anyway, thanks again for this thread. Like the rest of you, I'm thrilled that I no longer have periods to deal with (they were HORRIBLE) and it was definitely not the end of the world for me.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:39 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Another one who made it to the 'other side.' I never had horrible cramps, etc. or miserable periods. Peri brought on night sweats and, for about a year, mood swings that I could 'watch.' Sleeping through the night is pretty much over, but I'm able to function on less sleep so that's ok.

I've had bone scans with superb results. I never used any hormonal treatments, just some OTC things here and there. I think that years ago, women didn't talk about the details so lots of fears and misinformation developed. Needless to say, staying active helps, too.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:39 PM  
zoegirl

Since I got my first period (and acne and boobs) at age 9, it has been wonderful to have that part of my life over and done with, for 4 years now! I am 52, and have not had a single hot flash, night sweat, mood swing, or insomnia, that so many of my friends complain of. Weight gain seems to center in my belly now more than it used to, but is not extreme or unmanageable. The worst thing was a little dryness that lasted for a couple of years. Overall, menopause has been great! I highly recommend it!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:42 PM  
sherry7899

I am forty five. I don't know what to expect since my mom had a hysterectomy before menopause. I already have horrible insomnia, so that won't be anything new....one of my older sisters is through it, and she didn't really have hot flashes, so I hope I won't either. My skin is a little less clear than it ever was. That is frustrating, since I barely had skin problems as a teenager, but that isn't a major deal.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:53 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Something else and it might be TMI; I never took any form of birth control and we relied on the rhythm method and pulling out. So the biggest bonus was no longer having to worry about an accidental pregnancy, which of course made this part of our life so much better!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 02:00 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I also had a fairly easy menopause. Night sweats and anxiety, weight gain, hunger and moodiness were the worst of it. The best thing it did for me was to change my attitude about fitness. Instead of trying to get flat abs or skinniest body, it's about health and strength and energy, and loving the process instead of suffering through it.

I'm so glad to see more women over 50 getting into strength training, whether it's for powerlifting, bodybuilding, Crossfit or just adding more life to your years

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 02:06 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I feel much better now than I ever did during my reproductive years. I had a rough time with my periods, both physically and mentally, and am glad all that is behind me.

As far as fitness goes, I can lift as much as ever, but my cardio has slowed down. It also takes me longer to recover from a vigorous workout. I don't tend to push as hard as I once did because I don't want injuries, but if I'm having a good day, I go for it.
Old 08-08-14, 02:10 PM  
Demeris

I'm on the other side of menopause. My last period was a year and a half ago, and I am now 57.

I had my first hot flash at 51, and then I had weeks of hot flashes, months of hot flashes, and while I was struggling with hot flashes, I had the worst PMS of my life--for about three years, three days before my period I would become suicidal. I knew it was hormonal, and that helped some, but even eating well and exercising didn't make it go away. When my periods began to be erratic--skip a month, have three normal, skip two months, have 6 normal, the PMS went away, thank goodness. I also suffered from terrible insomnia for about 4 of those years.

I went through menopause with NO medications, and I am very pleased. Like someone else who posted above me, I had no idea what to expect. My mother died before she went through menopause, and my older sister had a hysterectomy in her late 30s, so I was making the path as I went along. I'm grateful for exercise and for eating well--I'm sure both of these things, within my control, helped the process along.

I can now sleep 7-8 hours a night, even though I still get hot flashes. My hormonal mood changes have disappeared (along with those hormonal swings). I feel better now than I have in 7 or 8 years, and the best part is no period. Yes, it's great not to have periods any more.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 02:50 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Like Debbie said, thank you for starting this thread. I think it's important to let our younger VFers know that it isn't bad news for everyone.

I think I posted on one of those threads, trying to indicate that I had an easy time of it, but this thread should really help anyone who has a fear of going through menopause.

I am almost 58 and have been through menopause for about 4 years, almost 5 actually. I had some night sweats for a few months, and some off and on insomnia for a few months and that was pretty much it.

I've not gained any weight. My body shape hasn't changed. I never had a hot flash either (thank you God!). I never did and still don't take any sort of hormones.

I have some bone loss, but honestly my GYN told me that for my small frame size, low body weight and ethnicity, my bone density numbers were perfectly fine. I continue the same intensity of exercise I always have.... running 4 to 5 miles a day, doing all my DVDs (Cathe, Bob Harper, etc.) and I have recently started going to interval classes. I am in better shape than most everyone in the classes and they are half my age.

I do think a lot of what you experience is inherited, but there really is no big awful thing about menopause. The best part? No more periods! Yay for that!

Tags
aging, menopause, middle-aged women, mononucleosis, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause, vintage vfers