Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-14, 10:01 AM  
pharma_gal

I was going to do a Slim in 6/Slim Series rotation but now you guys have me thinking about doing a Joyce rotation instead.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 10:21 AM  
pollytc

I have one more question.....besides Joyce's Slow Duett, what are the differences in the style of training from dvd to dvd?
Old 07-02-14, 10:32 AM  
Sissy B

Joyce uses the pyramid system for strength training, doing a modified pyramid in some of her workouts and a full pyramid in others. Sometimes she completes all exercises included before moving up the pyramid, in others she will combine 2, 3 or 4 exercises in a set and go through the pyramid system with those exercises before changing to another set of exercises.

If you look at the review section, there are some good breakdowns for workouts that may give you a better idea of how they are set up.

Her book, Weight Training Made Easy, is a very good resource as well.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 10:39 AM  
pollytc

I have one more question.....besides Joyce's Slow Duett, what are the differences in the style of training from dvd to dvd?
Old 07-02-14, 10:40 AM  
MsThistlebottom

What Sissy said. The Everything Joyce thread will also answer a lot of questions about differences in training style.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 11:37 AM  
Mandy

I am a Joyce Vedral success story. Back in 2001, I was still trying to lose weight from my pregnancy. I started using Joyce Vedral dvd's and rotated them. Doing 1 dvd for 1 week, then switching to another for 1 week. I went from a size 16 to a tight 8. I didn't own a scale at that time ...it depressed me. So I just went by the way my clothes felt. As an ectomorph, it's hard to put on muscle. Using Joyce workouts really changed the shape of my body. I got more muscle definition and lost inches. I don't remember changing my diet that much either. I know that is a big part of weight loss.

I started off with Fast Forward because it was fun to do and I liked the exercises. Then I added Weight Training Made Easier.

I used Weight Training Made Easier..the first time I did it, I didn't think I could make it through the floor work...now its a breeze. I love how Weight Training made easier day 1 has fllorwork with abs and Day 2 has floorwork with abs. I also love how it doesn't exhaust me. I've done other high rep weight training and hate how exhausted and the burn hurts. With WTME, you work supersets in between body parts so while one muscle is working, the other is resting. When I'm done, it doesn't feel like it burned that much but I feel it the next day.

I also love Bottoms up Gold plus. The ab work alone is worth the DVD. If you think about how many reps joyce does in supersets with rest, it blow's Tony Horton's Ab Ripper X out of the water. I still do Joyce Abs for my main way to train my abs. I love it

I love Speedy Nonstop and Quick Quartet when I'm short on time. I love how with Quick Quartet there is an option to do upper body all seated. The lower body is fast and over because she combines butt and ab exercises.

I do Definition and Fat Burrning on my own since I have them memorized.
I also have Interval Aerobics and love that too. I turn the volume down and use my own music.

I love her Just Butt(giant setting), Just Thighs(giant setting using full pyramid system), Just Bra Roll&boobs(I would have named it back and chest..lol which uses giant setting back and chest) and Just Arms(giant setting biceps,shoulders,triceps using the full pyramid system) too.

I rotate them all. They are my main way to train with weights.

The only other DVD's I found to be like Joyce was Amy Bento's Drop Sets and Cathe Friedrich Pyramid and her STS Meso 2 which I change and use the pyramid system.
I love the pyramid system. I love how Joyce uses the supersetting, giant setting, super duper giant setting using the pyramid system. it really works for me and makes the workout go by fast.

I turn down the volume and use my own music.

I got my teenage daughters to start using Joyce Vedral's Toning for Teen book which is basically similar to her Fat Burning workout. And now they have it memorized and workout in their room with their own dumbells. They used to take my weights all the time so I finally had to get them their own set..haha.
I use 10,15,20lb db. For Now or Never, Joyce uses a Barbell and so I use my old Firm barbell for that. I love Now or Never as well.
For Fat Burning, I use lighter weights because she works in giant setting within the same muscle group...its tough. Same with Definition. But I still use 12,15 and 20 for Definition lower body. My legs are stronger.

I think the books would be great too. I like her Weight Training Made Easier book because she has 4 different workout options and introduces working out with sets, then pyramid system, then supersetting with 2 muscle groups using pyramid system then supersetting 2 different muscle groups. She has great pictures WITH DIRECTIONS. There are so many books that show you the exercises but then don't tell you how many reps and sets..ect. I'm getting my daughters to add in WTME book to the Toning for teens. It's nice to have a variety.

When I do Joyce's workouts, I sweat a lot and my heartrate gets up there so I do feel its aerobic. But its nothing like Cathe's Tabatacise or Hitt Training.
My motto is "weights first" then I do my cardio for my reward. Muscle is so important for me and helps me burn more calories and I'm a heavier weight then when I didn't lift weights but still look better if that makes sense. Joyce talks about that in her books.

I do the workouts for the workouts, not because I'm a fan of Joyce. I love the pyramid system and think its magical. It works for me!
Also, I was and still am a die hard Firmie so Joyce's production and music is pretty bland compared to the exciting Firm workouts. But I just turn down the volume and use my own music and sometimes just workout on my own without a DVD since I have Joyce's workouts memorized.

I was so happy to see a Joyce Thread! Hence my lengthly post...I love talking about my JV workouts..lol

As you can tell, I love Joyce's workouts!
Old 07-02-14, 11:39 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
I haven't done a Joyce wo in years however when I pick one, it's usually Definition. This workout delivers the promised results for me. I do the basic 15 minute upper body workout and my arms tone up nicely......
I'm technically still doing a Fe Fit summer rotation but this thread makes me want to dig out my JV books again, particularly 'Definition'.

JV's books were what I used after my 1st child was born and I couldn't go to the gym to lift heavier weights. I got really nice results and also did only 2 cardio sessions per week, mostly ~15-20 min Hiit.
Of course, that was also 12 yrs ago, so my age might have played a difference too, regarding metabolism etc. Still, I think JV's workouts (books) are very effective!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 01:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Definition is a terrific workout, but if you choose the option with the most exercises, it has a very high dread factor--or at least it does for me. When I do a Definition rotation I just stick with the base level workout and get good results.

Joyce is very amusing--I enjoy her writing style. She's a great example of the benefits of weightlifting.
i wanted to clarify - i picked up the book "Definition". does the video stray far away from the book in terms of sequencing?

i did a couple of searches on VF for old threads about FAQ about Joyce that i think would be useful in this thread:

comments about the most effective way to work out from a book (see Vee's post, 3rd from the top):
How do you workout with a book?

comments about the lifting speed:
Is it the speed of the Vedral workouts that give results?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 01:43 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i wanted to clarify - i picked up the book "Definition". does the video stray far away from the book in terms of sequencing?

i did a couple of searches on VF for old threads about FAQ about Joyce that i think would be useful in this thread:

comments about the most effective way to work out from a book (see Vee's post, 3rd from the top):
How do you workout with a book?

comments about the lifting speed:
Is it the speed of the Vedral workouts that give results?
That working out from a book thread is very helpful! Thankyou! I always had a hard time with that.

Have to add: You are the queen at looking up old threads. I am so terrible at it and can never find anything, even with tabs half the time!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 02:54 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Joyce Vedral's 12-minute workout book was my first experience with exercise, and I had fantastic results. But I think it was because I went from sedentary to doing something, anything I tried a Joyce rotation a few years later and didn't get anywhere near the same results. The only thing that does it for me these days is circuit training with cardio and weights intervals (Barry's Bootcamp, Jackie Warner, Biggest Loser/Jillian etc). It has been hard to motivate myself to do it in this heat, but I am pushing myself because I have time off in the summer to do it. If I were just working out for fun, I prefer Leslie and outdoor walking, but nothing gives me results like the circuit training does
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only