Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-14, 10:19 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Ha. Wish we could have done video chats back then. Right, Abbe?
LOL, Joni! Yes, that would have been very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
How fun to read the history and remember our past here.

We are so fortunate to have this website. It has endured over time and continues to be informative and supportive. Thanks Wendy!
I agree, Jeanne Marie. We are fortunate to have this website, and WWWendy has worked hard on it for years. I can't imagine how different it must be to run this website now, as compared to years ago, when it was so much smaller.

BTW, there is some VF merchandise, with a cute design by Nat. I like the mug and the mousepad!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 12:22 PM  
donnamp

This was a wonderful read and finally got me off my butt to become a VF Support of this site that I use daily!!!

donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 03:08 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Thanks Abbe for starting this thread! So fun to read VF's history and evolution. Thanks Wendy!!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 07:20 PM  
andtckrtoo

Just received a notification that my subscription was up and happily renewed! I could not imagine having this as a place to come to chat about DVDs.
Old 02-17-14, 01:20 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i remember seeing the reviews first before viewing the forum. i primarily read the reviews, and this was around 1996. at the time, i wasn't into the forum - i was on the Firm Believers forum which The Firm hosted - i did my first trades over there. eventually, The Firm shut it down, and then Ya Ya's was created independently of The Firm.

one of the things i didn't like about the early Videofitness.com forum was that your posts didn't appear right away - they had to be screened, and that was a turn off!

when it changed to the current format, that's when i joined. but i was mostly active on The Firm forum, then Ya's.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 05:45 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I also remember reading the video reviews and then later finding the forum. I first heard of VF while reading Cathe's old forum. The first time I read the VF forum, I remember that someone started a thread saying how she would keep on refreshing in order to see the newest posts, and I thought, "How funny! Why would someone be so addicted to a message board?" I learned quickly why!
Old 02-17-14, 07:45 PM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Oh the memories. I found VF in '97 or '98 and I was so excited to find people who loved workout videos as much as I did. I was living in San Antonio, TX when I found this site. My daughter was in 1st or 2nd grade and my son pre K or Kindergarten. My daughter is now two yrs out of college and my son is in his first semester of his senior yr in college. They knew VF in TX and they know VF today. They're both runners (both collegiate) and I will occasionally share info I've read on this site with them.

I remember attending a VF get together when I was home (Alex VA) visiting my family before heading to Korea. I was so excited to get to go to a get together. While in Korea, I met another VFer, Pilar! That was really cool.

From TX, Korea, Italy and now VA Beach, VF has been a constant. I don't post as much as I use to but I do log on several times a week and read some threads. Oh, I believe it was VFers who originated the Cathe road trips.

Thank you, Wendy.
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 08:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I first heard of VF while reading Cathe's old forum.
a few events converged into my evolution as a forum junkie.

1) i had owned Callanetics since 1986, but never dreamed of venturing into other types of fitness videos, or even owning more than 1

2) some friends at work showed me collage catalogs

3) i saw a whole section of fitness videos in Blockbuster, and occasionally in costco. i think i rented a few of them from blockbuster. i noticed that blockbuster stopped renting fitness videos but instead just sold them outright.

4) at the next opportunity, i did a search on the internet about a kathy smith video that i saw in blockbuster - Weightloss workout, and found reviews of it and discussion here on VF and also The Firm forum. i lurked on both.

5) i became very active on the firm forum until they shut it down, then i was very active on Ya's. i'd come to VF when Ya's was down or boring.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 08:19 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had a few videos, was wondering what else was out there, did an internet search and found VF. I think there's an old thread on how everyone found VF. I don't remember if I found the reviews or the forum first. Fell in love with Cathe.

I first met WWWendy in 1997 when I was in DC on business and The Firm was doing mall tours, going around the country and working out with fans. That's when I first met Tracie Long and couldn't believe how tiny she is! There we were in the middle of the mall, working out with everyone staring at us.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 09:53 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
Oh the memories. I found VF in '97 or '98 and I was so excited to find people who loved workout videos as much as I did. I was living in San Antonio, TX when I found this site. My daughter was in 1st or 2nd grade and my son pre K or Kindergarten. My daughter is now two yrs out of college and my son is in his first semester of his senior yr in college. They knew VF in TX and they know VF today. They're both runners (both collegiate) and I will occasionally share info I've read on this site with them.

I remember attending a VF get together when I was home (Alex VA) visiting my family before heading to Korea. I was so excited to get to go to a get together. While in Korea, I met another VFer, Pilar! That was really cool.

From TX, Korea, Italy and now VA Beach, VF has been a constant. I don't post as much as I use to but I do log on several times a week and read some threads. Oh, I believe it was VFers who originated the Cathe road trips.

Thank you, Wendy.
Hi Lollie! It's great to see you posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I had a few videos, was wondering what else was out there, did an internet search and found VF. I think there's an old thread on how everyone found VF. I don't remember if I found the reviews or the forum first. Fell in love with Cathe.

I first met WWWendy in 1997 when I was in DC on business and The Firm was doing mall tours, going around the country and working out with fans. That's when I first met Tracie Long and couldn't believe how tiny she is! There we were in the middle of the mall, working out with everyone staring at us.
Joni, were you one of the first moderators? How did the idea of moderators come about?

That's really interesting and fun information about the Firm! I didn't know the Firm did mall tours! One instructor I'd love to meet is Tracie.

Tags
how did you find vf, vf history, videofitness.com