Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-14, 12:01 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I have to take this back - I forgot the article you're referencing is titled that. My apologies for the oversight. Still, posting it as your thread title seemed like a finger-shake at VF, or at least that's how I took it.
So sorry about that. I didn't mean it that way at all. I wasn't even thinking about that when I posted it. I just put their title in it. I am not judging anyone on video fitness at all. I just wanted to throw another perspective on this. I will have to watch that I don't do that again.

Cheryl
Old 02-06-14, 12:13 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

This is an interesting article where most of the experts agree that she looks awfully thin, but it also states that there is absolutely no scientific evidence that losing weight slowly is more healthy than losing it fast. I'd love to find the original NEJM article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4733165.html
Old 02-06-14, 12:17 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Just a hint Cheryl and please don't take this the wrong way cause you know I love you but one of the prefixes you can choose when starting a thread is "Article Link". That can help clarify things.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 12:19 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
This is an interesting article where most of the experts agree that she looks awfully thin, but it also states that there is absolutely no scientific evidence that losing weight slowly is more healthy than losing it fast. I'd love to find the original NEJM article.

From my experience I will say that losing weight slower definitely helped me maintain the loss. Whenever I've lost quickly I regained it back. Ultimately that makes slow loss a healthier choice for me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 12:23 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post

I read that and another article about ten years ago. I think if one is really dedicated to changing their lifestyle they could lose weight quickly and maintain it though most people want to "eat their version of normal" again.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 12:38 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Just a hint Cheryl and please don't take this the wrong way cause you know I love you but one of the prefixes you can choose when starting a thread is "Article Link". That can help clarify things.
Thanks, Gina. I have never posted an article before. I normally don't start threads, so lesson learned.

Cheryl
Old 02-06-14, 12:40 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
EnglishIvy, I totally agree with you on the Ellen thing. I take her comments on the whole thing with a grain of salt and find her disingenuous at best. I like how she said "you should workout because you love yourself, not because your hate yourself", since that is a BIG part of my own personal philosophy. However, the irony is thick here considering she hated her "bulky, athletic body" before. I used to love her sunshine and wellness vibe, as well as her workouts, before all that kerfuffle happened. I wish it was genuine.
I knew I was taking a risk posting anything by Ellen here. I don't agree with all of her ideas but who do any of us agree with 100%? As far as not liking her "muscular, athletic frame", many people here say the same thing, trying to find out ways to "lean out" or be "less bulky." To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
OTOH, at least she encourages a kind and sane approach to fitness as opposed to the twisted monstrosity that is The Biggest Loser.
That's why I posted it. I agree with her philosophy on the BL.
Old 02-06-14, 12:43 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
There have been more sensible, moderate, drama-free weight loss shows on Discovery Health and other cable channels. They never made it to the big broadcast networks because maybe 5 people watched them and they weren't even discussed on VF.
A&E had a show called "Heavy" that was like this. Each show had two 'morbidly' obese people go to a residential weight loss/diet camp for a month and start eating sensibly and working out, with help from a nutritionist, trainers and (I'm almost positive) a mental-health professional to get a handle on why they overate. Then they went home and worked with a trainer at a local gym while trying to stick to their new, healthier food program. The participants' weight loss and fitness gains were monitored and they had to return to the residential camp if they started gaining weight again or if they blew off their workouts. There was a weigh-in after six months to see how each did.

It wasn't nearly as glamorous as Biggest Loser because it was much more 'real life' since the participants were given the tools and then had to use them: cook for themselves, get themselves to the gym, work on their addiction to food. Most participants started at 300 pounds or heavier, some MUCH heavier, and six months of hard work got them much healthier with noticeable weight loss, but NOT ready-for-prime-time "thin".
Old 02-06-14, 12:54 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
I read that and another article about ten years ago. I think if one is really dedicated to changing their lifestyle they could lose weight quickly and maintain it though most people want to "eat their version of normal" again.
Yes, I think that the extreme sense of deprivation that losing weight fast would entail makes it more likely that you would go back to your old patterns once the weight was lost.

For the record, I once lost weight slowly and then gained it back. It's all about maintaining new eating and exercise patterns, and that can be hard to do when stress gets extreme.
Old 02-06-14, 01:06 PM  
marmact

Here is a link to an interview with a former BL contestant, which gets into some of the show's methodologies:

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-1-of-3/

I think the show itself is completely irresponsible--the contestants basically live in a bubble and devote their full-time lives to losing weight. AND the focus is strictly on the scale because that seems to resonate most widely with the audience. I guess it wouldn't be as SHOCKING or EXTREME if they were using bodyfat scans or not penalizing anyone for gaining muscle vs. just dropping the scale number.

Anyway, in terms of this particular contestant--she was in a CONTEST. So, she went all in. She wanted to win the prize. I know a lot of uber-competitive people who would probably go all-in like that, too. I can't tell if she did or didn't end up with an eating disorder, but I'm sure she engaged in disordered eating (those are two different things, BTW--you don't have to have an eating disorder to engage in disordered eating). At any rate, I'm sure her weight is going to bounce back by 10 or 20 pounds relatively quickly.

Tags
biggest loser