Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-14, 10:52 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Are you talking about here at VF or over the internet in general? Because come on - the internet hosts loads of crap every day, on every subject under the sun.

I think the majority here have been more conscientious, and less personal, about their opinions.
I was talking about the internet in general. There were a ton of articles on it. Yes there is a ton of crap online. But do big entertainment sites like Eonline need to bash Rachel? Can't they look in their own backyard at Guiliana Rancic? Just because "everyone" is doing it doesn't make it okay.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:56 AM  
momof10

Quote:
I haven't judged her. Nor do I think she looks unhealthy per se (although I don't know her current habits or how healthy they are). But losing 155 pounds to get from 260 to 105 in 5 months? That's insane!

The article you posted would make more sense if TBL was a healthy show using healthy protocols, instead of the all-day exercising, laxative use and dehydration techniques that the contestants seem to fall to. Sure, losing weight is important but the show is a circus that uses huge cash prizes to entice people to do the near-impossible.

I have nothing against the contestants; maybe Rachel will be fine and maybe not. It's the show I have problems with.

Gina - I agree with you , wholeheartedly. It's the way the show is. They are making victims out of these people. I can't even fathom losing 155 pounds in 5 months. I don't even think people who have gastric bypasses can lose that much weight in that short of a time period. When I said I was appalled at what people were saying it wasn't just from people on here, it's everywhere. Everyone needs to let NBC know that this show is unacceptable.

Cheryl
Old 02-06-14, 11:04 AM  
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
Well then, they should have locked her in a room with nothing but dollar bills and gold coins. That would have ended that theory

How many calories in a dollar I wonder?
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 11:12 AM  
slysam

I agree with the sentiment of the article to some extent. There is too much judging and shaming--whether someone is perceived "overweight" or "underweight". I don't watch Biggest Loser, but was concerned about some of the posts I've seen about this. But... There is a reason I don't watch "Biggest Loser". I have watched a couple episodes and really did not like what I saw. I felt the coaches acted in a way bordering on bullying. The workouts were too intense and unsafe for most people let alone people new to fitness or obese. I am not saying overweight people cannot train hard and maybe it was exaggerated by the high drama moments edited into the television show--but I felt it gave the wrong message. In the episode I watched the contestant was gasping for air, red faced, sweating and got off the machine and sat on the floor crying and the coach was yelling at them to get back to their workout and reminded tham of their weight. Some portions of the workouts did look fun--for people already fit looking for a new challenge. But I just do not approve of the high pressure, high drama approach this show has and the emphasis on losing as much as possible, as fast as possible by any means. I would prefer to see a more moderate approach emphasizing lifestyle change. I realize the full context of Biggest loser might not be quite as bad as it looks since they are choosing the high drama moments to make "entertaining" television. But the impression it gives, I have concerns with. I am not a fan of Jillian Micheals, but for a while she had her own show and I watched an episode. I thought that show seemed a lot more healthy than the episodes I saw of BL. That kind of surprised me because I associate the things I don't like about BL with her persona as I thought she the worst of the trainers on the episodes I watched in terms of bullying behavior. She seemed more respectful of people her solo show, so maybe she has softened a little?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 11:19 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Gina - I agree with you , wholeheartedly. It's the way the show is. They are making victims out of these people. I can't even fathom losing 155 pounds in 5 months. I don't even think people who have gastric bypasses can lose that much weight in that short of a time period. When I said I was appalled at what people were saying it wasn't just from people on here, it's everywhere. Everyone needs to let NBC know that this show is unacceptable.

Cheryl
Oh okay. But your thread is titled "Why You are Wrong..." so it sounded like an admonishment to us in particular. And I didn't get the vibe that we as a whole were bashing Rachel. And though, yeah, I think she totally did it for the $$, I also think she couldn't be blamed for that because the show thrives on pushing competition to win at ANY cost.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 11:20 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

There have been more sensible, moderate, drama-free weight loss shows on Discovery Health and other cable channels. They never made it to the big broadcast networks because maybe 5 people watched them and they weren't even discussed on VF. And remember when Jillian "quit" BL? After her warm-fuzzies show and her stint on The Doctors flopped, she was back. She's a PR person by profession and she knows where she belongs.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 11:23 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Oh okay. But your thread is titled "Why You are Wrong..." so it sounded like an admonishment to us in particular. And I didn't get the vibe that we as a whole were bashing Rachel. And though, yeah, I think she totally did it for the $$, I also think she couldn't be blamed for that because the show thrives on pushing competition to win at ANY cost.
Nicely expressed.

I think the VF community has actually had some really thoughtful discussion on the topic, so the title of this thread kinda threw me a bit and I wasn't sure how to respond to that.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 11:32 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have to take this back - I forgot the article you're referencing is titled that. My apologies for the oversight. Still, posting it as your thread title seemed like a finger-shake at VF, or at least that's how I took it.
Old 02-06-14, 11:58 AM  
momof10

Quote:
If you look at the article, you will see that is the title of the article. I just put the title in my headline. I can see how you would have felt that way. I just worded the title. Thanks for pointing that out, Gina.

Cheryl
Old 02-06-14, 12:00 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yup, sorry! Please see my post just above yours.

Tags
biggest loser