Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-14, 10:10 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
The Duchess of Windsor famously said (over 70 years ago): "You can never be too thin or too rich."
Well then, they should have locked her in a room with nothing but dollar bills and gold coins. That would have ended that theory

How many calories in a dollar I wonder?
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:19 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
The Duchess of Windsor famously said (over 70 years ago): "You can never be too thin or too rich."
Yeah, but a) I'm not sure I think she's a role model for anything I'd want to achieve in life, b) she spent the end of her life in very, very poor health, so I'm not convinced she has any insights to offer me about a healthy lifestyle or nutritious meal plans. (Who's to say whether or not her extremely gaunt frame/minimalist eating habits influenced her long term health?)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:20 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
Gotcha. Didn't know about the youtube thing.
It's such a bummer I think the most bothersome part is that I really liked her workouts (the Self ones) and used them for relaxing days. They have great beach scenery. She seemed so friendly and all about the wellness vibe. Then I read a few posts from her and All I could see after that was a phony. It's like doing the happy dance and suddenly realizing that you stepped in gum lol
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:26 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

EnglishIvy, I totally agree with you on the Ellen thing. I take her comments on the whole thing with a grain of salt and find her disingenuous at best. I like how she said "you should workout because you love yourself, not because your hate yourself", since that is a BIG part of my own personal philosophy. However, the irony is thick here considering she hated her "bulky, athletic body" before. I used to love her sunshine and wellness vibe, as well as her workouts, before all that kerfuffle happened. I wish it was genuine.

OTOH, at least she encourages a kind and sane approach to fitness as opposed to the twisted monstrosity that is The Biggest Loser.
Old 02-06-14, 10:30 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
IMHO, Ellen blows with whatever wind serves her at the moment (see her infamous "As a skinny person today, you convey to the world that you are wealthy and healthy" blog post. Kind of ironic because her comment would imply that the latest BL winner has hit the pinnacle of wealth and health.
I have to agree with this. Ellen is likable and I enjoy her (less repetitive) workouts. But that skinny blog post was weird and self-serving to say the least. You can't redefine words as you see fit, not truly.

Even the title of that post, "Skinny is a Compliment", is, well, stupid to me and un-Ellen as I thought her to be. IMO she should let go of "skinny" and stick to "wellness".
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:38 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelsana View Post
I believe most people were upset about the fact that biggest loser encourages and rewards such extreme weightless and not judging her as a person
while many people were, many more have directed comments directly at Rachel. All the armchair MDs and therapists have come and diagnosed her as anorexic, having exercise bulimia, being horrible unhealthy, having mental health problems. And most aren't kind about it either. If it were a true condemnation of the show they would use multiple examples of training methods and the diets of other current and past contestants.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:39 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Exactly. Here is another blog article saying this same thing by James Fell at SixPackAbs.com: http://www.sixpackabs.com/boycott-the-biggest-loser/
Gonna have to agree with you that this article says it all for me.
Old 02-06-14, 10:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
while many people were, many more have directed comments directly at Rachel. All the armchair MDs and therapists have come and diagnosed her as anorexic, having exercise bulimia, being horrible unhealthy, having mental health problems. And most aren't kind about it either. If it were a true condemnation of the show they would use multiple examples of training methods and the diets of other current and past contestants.
Are you talking about here at VF or over the internet in general? Because come on - the internet hosts loads of crap every day, on every subject under the sun.

I think the majority here have been more conscientious, and less personal, about their opinions.
Old 02-06-14, 10:43 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
IMO she should let go of "skinny" and stick to "wellness".
Me too. But sadly, those titles would probably sell as well as The Biggest Loser would if it were repackaged around improving your triglyceride and bone density levels instead of fast weight loss. These are things I want to watch or buy, but I have to admit they aren't as marketably "sexy."
Old 02-06-14, 10:44 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Well of course. That's why we're apparently a nation of reality show addicts.

Tags
biggest loser