Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-14, 07:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ikwym.

i met up with a VFer this past sunday, who is vacationing here. prior to doing that, i told my DH where i was going. he was totally fine with it, but having to describe it to a non-VFer feels weird sometimes.

i remember telling my father who Jennifer R (from the Big Island) was, because she was being interviewed on the local news. my dad, who has never used a computer, just looked at me kinda weird.

i have never met Jenn in person, although we've spoken on the phone several times and made a couple of trades.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 07:58 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

My DD used to call VFers my imaginary friends. About a dozen years ago, she & I took a trip to Seattle, and we had lunch and a video shopping trip with a lovely group of Seattle VFers.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:42 PM  
msladybug

I feel the same.

My husband "gets it". He enjoys hearing about it, anything that makes me happy, makes him happy.

Though when I mention my FF's to people other than my husband, they just sort of look at me funny.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:48 PM  
BunnyHop

The thing that gets me is how my online friends are routinely more honest with their opinions (and compassionate with their advice) than people are in real life.

Asking for advice online has taught me a world of useful things, but trying to find this stuff out IRL? Very slow, and hazardous.

Kind of a 'THANK YOU, VF'ers! and all my other online friends' because I've learned so much.

I may not be able to remember your real names, but your screen names and avatars do stick in my memory. (so don't change them on a whim, I get confuzzled.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:56 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
It is a wonderful community, and such a positive one, especially given all the snark and ugliness on most of the rest of the internet.
This is so true! This really sets our community apart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yep. So many of my conversations with DH begin with "someone on the fitness forum said..."
Oh yeah! DH, family & friends are VERY used to my referencing "someone on VF". It can be something funny, something informative, something touching or even sad--I get so much from this forum!

Maybe a good time/place to urge folks to click on 'Support VF' if you don't already to so.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:01 PM  
nairie

What a great thread!

I've been on VF for a long time and reading posts on here (multiple times a day!) has been part of my daily life for years! I can't imagine not being part of VF!

I've received very generous SASEs and trades and I always feel happy SASEing DVDs to VFers b/c I know it will go to a good home!

Last year, I wanted to make a point of being more active here but was unable to keep up (crazy work hours and awful sleeping schedule made it difficult to do much of anything really)

Now, I'm more active and am in a checkin with "imaginary" friends that i look forward to chatting with them and everyone else here!!

I would to meet VFers! It would be so fun!!

? have to update/365
nairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 10:43 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love my VF buddies. I wish I could meet them all IRL.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 11:37 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I love the people at VF!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 12:02 AM  
LauraBella

I don't post as much as I used to, but I think we have a WONDERFUL community of amazing people!

Occasionally, I find myself quoting one of you and I'll shorthand the citation with "my penpal," lol, bc I know not everyone needs to (or can) understand that I feel like I "know" some people that I've never physically met.

Thank you for all the support and understanding and inspiration (and occasional enabling...).

Old 01-23-14, 06:20 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
Occasionally, I find myself quoting one of you and I'll shorthand the citation with "my penpal," lol, bc I know not everyone needs to (or can) understand that I feel like I "know" some people that I've never physically met.
Early on, when I was meeting up with or talking about my online "imaginary" friends, I also used the term "penpal". It made it easier to describe.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imaginary friends, vf love