Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-13, 12:52 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

In live classes, if it is yoga, pilates, or barre, I prefer the instructor walking around and checking form. In cardio...I would rather they do the workout for the students to follow the choreography. I think those are my preferences for dvds as well...
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 02:07 PM  
jerebo

Like many of you, I like the instructor to do the workout. Even in drill-based (perhaps especially in drill-based) workouts where there's no choreography. I feel like the instructor is "cheating" if he/she makes us work hard, but doesn't do it herself. I understand that sometimes they spend hours filming the same workout, and that Jillian is undoubtedly fitter than I am and therefore capable of doing her own workout. But I want to see her struggling, too!
Old 11-11-13, 02:41 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
I don't mind it too much if an instructor walls around during a weights set.
Geez Louise, I need to get new reading glasses or actually read the words on the screen. I thought you said, "I don't mind it if an instructor walks around eating."

I think I'm hungry...
Old 11-12-13, 12:37 AM  
boukilisa

This is a non-starter for me. I avoid DVD workouts where the trainer doesn't do all of the moves. I watch the trainer for form and want to be able to self-correct my form at any time by watching the lead. If the lead starts and stops not only does this throw me off but it messes with my ability to work as well as I can.

I just don't learn much from a DVD trainer interrupting a move to correct well-rehearsed backgrounders who should already have uniformly good form. The best trainers in my mind are the people who can show form corrections by demonstrating the moves themselves or describe to viewers how to pull ourselves into correct form as the lead demonstrates it by doing it. Tracie Long, Cathe, Jessica Smith and Angie Miller are masters of this.

I agree with other posters about the chattiness level going up too. A trainer who isn't moving is doing more (too often pointless) talking or cheerleading. I'll be very glad when this trend is over. Very often it seems to be more for show than anything, a way to showcase the trainer's personality. (Right, Jillian?) And other times it happens when a trainer is getting her butt kicked by the routine she created. (Looking at you, Anni Mairs in Fierce Force.)

No doubt it's hard to do a routine over and over for filming. But the trainers I favor manage it and make me feel like they've got some skin in the game.

I feel differently about live classes because the instructor can actually see the exercisers so their reasons for stopping are authentic.

I was really disappointed to see that Cindy Whitmarsh has decided to take this approach in her new workouts. I loved her old ones but will be passing these new ones up. In the clips it looks like she just stops arbitrarily to point stuff out on the backgrounders. I appreciate that she's pointing out which muscles are being worked. I just appreciate it more when I see her working those muscles herself.

To me it just makes more sense to watch the lead (for consistency) than a variety of backgrounders. But I know it either doesn't bother other people or they like the variety. Thank goodness there's plenty of stuff out there for us all to choose from!
Old 11-12-13, 10:35 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I don't mind the walking around rather than doing the moves if it's minimal. Jari Love does this occasionally and points out how the move should look on one of the backgrounders, and I actually have found that helpful. She doesn't do it constantly, but just enough to make her point IMHO. I would NOT appreciate it if the instructor left the room during a live class! Almost literally "phoning it in." At that point the instructor should stop doing live classes at all.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 10:51 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

This is part of the reason I don't really like Met-Rx 180. He continually talks about the transformation my body is going to see and walks around a lot. I suppose that's part of keeping you at it for 90 days, and maybe some people need that. Personally, that keeps from from going even a few days.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 11:17 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I don't mind the walking around rather than doing the moves if it's minimal. Jari Love does this occasionally and points out how the move should look on one of the backgrounders, and I actually have found that helpful. She doesn't do it constantly, but just enough to make her point IMHO. I would NOT appreciate it if the instructor left the room during a live class! Almost literally "phoning it in." At that point the instructor should stop doing live classes at all.
I agree - if an instructor can't keep up with his or her own students in an exercise class then it's time to do something else, like manage the gym or be an author or researcher or something.

Those National Aerobics Championships videos linked in another thread, THAT's the standard I used to hold instructors up to. Mindy Mylrea (she won the championship at least once), Andre Houle, Jeff Vandiver, Scott Cole, Patrick Goudeau, Donna Richardson and a number of CIA instructors are veterans of that show. Today it's like anyone with a six-pack or thigh gap is an expert.

I can understand walking around and correcting form in a high-technique class like yoga or ballet.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 12:36 PM  
Scbayless

I really really hate this too. This is one reason I find Sylwia of tonique both inspiring and floors me. She doesn't even take breaks in filming because she wants to push you as hard as possible and show your it's possible. I'm not convinced she's human but it does push me harder.
Old 11-12-13, 12:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

For me it depends on the workout. If it is aerobics or strength I like the instructor to participate. But with yoga I don't mind if the instructor adjusts the participants and/or points out modifications as there can be so many variations in a pose depending on the individual doing it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-13, 10:22 AM  
fitmummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbayless View Post
I really really hate this too. This is one reason I find Sylwia of tonique both inspiring and floors me. She doesn't even take breaks in filming because she wants to push you as hard as possible and show your it's possible. I'm not convinced she's human but it does push me harder.
recently i took sylwia's class in the city.i travelled to her class from CT to suffer for two hours/she does not stop at all/literally not ever for 1 second/i do her dvds at home but i pause her and thanks God/but i do find her very inspirational/there is no way i can do what she does however i hope one day i will get there
fitmummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor styles, pet peeves