Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-13, 03:56 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Background exercisers in a DVD shouldn't need to have their form corrected. They should already know what they're doing before they film, or they shouldn't be on camera. Instructors sometimes use the background exercisers to point out what they're doing correctly, but I don't really like that either.
I agree 100%. I was so surprised that Cathe didn't correct Marlo's form on elevated squats in Lean Legs & Abs before they filmed.
Old 11-10-13, 04:10 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I

Hey, side note, is her Catwalk Confidence just as bad?

Jackie

While she's still that annoyingly pretentious girl from 7th grade, and her background exercisers are terrible, she does the whole workout, and her form is good.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 05:05 PM  
ellaenchanted

I don't mind it too much in strength training, barre/pilates, or yoga. However, I do like to see the instructor either do most of the workout or none of it (like Travis in UY).

However, cardio like Zumba? The instructor should be doing pretty much all of it. They are leading the choreography.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 05:26 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I don't necessarily care if they do the workout in a dvd or not but I've noticed that they run their mouths a lot more if they're not doing the workout. And I prefer quiet.
Too true!

The only time I don't mind walk-arounders is in a yoga class or workout, when I'm not looking at the instructor and am following his/her voice, not movements.

In a strength workout, it's not as bothersome but still...in an ideal world, the instructor will do enough reps to set me up with the tempo, then cue "I'm doing two more reps but you keep going at that pace, I'll count it off!" instead of dropping the weights and drifting away (hello Sagi).

Any cardio workout, you'd better be jumping, stepping, kicking or dancing right along with me.
Old 11-10-13, 06:33 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Background exercisers in a DVD shouldn't need to have their form corrected. They should already know what they're doing before they film, or they shouldn't be on camera.
I agree!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 08:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm still trying to figure out how to use sliced bread to improve my balance.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-13, 08:39 PM  
sbh

I once took a live step class with Pepper Von and he actually left the room with his mike on and continued cueing the step class. I thought that was amazing. On a dvd workout, it's a bit distracting to me. How weird is that!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 08:52 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Like others have said, in yoga or stretch practices it doesn't bother me. I have some yoga practices where the instructor does the whole practice (David Swenson, DDP, Karen Voight, Ravi/Ana, Yogi Hari, Dharma Mittra, Jessica Sherwood) and others where the instructor teaches (Rudy Mettia, Baron Baptiste). In live yoga classes I have taken, it's normal for instructors to walk around and give form pointers and adjustments rather than do the practice themselves.

In weight and cardio workouts, I do like the instructors working out along with me. I don't have very many of these workouts now, but the ones I have kept all have the instructor doing the whole workout (GSP in Rushfit, Mark Lauren in You Are Your Own Gym, Cathe in Push/Pull, Anni Mairs in LifeForce, Tracy Effinger in Squeeze).

When I took live "aerobics" classes a long, long time ago, it was really inspiring to work out along with the teacher. I knew I had made progress when I could keep up with the teacher.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 09:57 AM  
marmact

I think that some workouts intentionally have the background people use incorrect form so the instructor can show the corrections. (Consider that many people who buy home workouts don't have the benefit of a lot of experience, that makes sense. It is easier for some people to visually see what is wrong/right than just to hear the instructor say "keep your back flat" or whatever.) I don't think the Cathe/Marlo example applies here, since she didn't correct her.

I don't really mind when instructors walk around on the set. They're supposed to be instructing, and that's part of instructing, so that's fine with me. I want them to be doing or saying something productive, though, so it annoys me when they walk around just to talk or harass the exercisers. And I admit to getting annoyed at times when the break isn't smooth. For example, if the camera is focusing tightly on the instructor and that person suddenly stops moving, that slows me down. Worse is when the camera goes into an arty angle on a background person.

And I agree this is much easier to deal with instructor breaks in a strength or drill workout than a cardio workout, especially if choreography is involved.

Oh, and since we're complaining, I will say that if you're on the clock, stay on the clock! It infuriates me if the instructor continues gabbing away when the clock is running. Cathe was a huge offender of this in STS. Dasha is pretty bad in the new KBKB, also.
Old 11-11-13, 10:55 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I think that some workouts intentionally have the background people use incorrect form so the instructor can show the corrections. (Consider that many people who buy home workouts don't have the benefit of a lot of experience, that makes sense. It is easier for some people to visually see what is wrong/right than just to hear the instructor say "keep your back flat" or whatever.) I don't think the Cathe/Marlo example applies here, since she didn't correct her.
I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes, the instructor purposely tells a background exerciser to do something wrong so that they can show the difference between the right vs. wrong way to do something. Sometimes, the instructor will do that themselves.

Tags
instructor styles, pet peeves