Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-13, 09:59 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
It has always bugged me that Joyce will not use the poundage that she herself uses in her routines when she makes her videos. No way would she be flinging a 20 pound dumbbell around, like she does the 3 pounders she uses in her videos.
Joyce once said that its because when you're filming, you have to do the same exercises over and over. And I think she also mentioned the heat from the lights or something. I'm sure it's a lot of hard work being in front of the cameras. I know that when I used to dance, it was hot under those lights...and we were only on stage for a few minutes at a time.

But it also doesn't bother me, I guess, because I use 2, 3, and 4 pound dumbbells. That's what I've been using for five years. Those "light weights" still challenge me to this day. When my weight (ahem, body fat ) is lower, I have very nice definition in my muscles, and I don't plan to ever go heavier.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-13, 10:02 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
3. We know Joyce moves fast in the videos, but did/do you? Does "resting 15 seconds" between sets or doing exercises "without resting" really matter? I heard she made the videos because people were moving too slowly. But won't you still get the same good results without going at a crazy pace? Nope, I do not move fast and I lost 50lbs doing only her 12 min exactly as she outlines in the book and eating relatively clean
Thank you SO much, Sandra! I'm glad to know that not everyone flies through the workouts. I want to take my time, like you did, and still get good results. Hopefully that will make me less prone to an injury.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 05:44 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

I've never sen the Now or Never video, so I really don't know how the timing compares. I do know that the book said that the most intense workout should clock in a an hour and fifteen minutes, and the only way I could keep it in that time frame was to keep the rests between sets short. I did lift heavy--or as heavy as I could in such a high-volume pyramid workout.
Old 05-25-13, 06:38 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

This thread makes me seriously regret that I've traded all my JV books away!!! I might have to re-acquire 1 or 2!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 08:09 AM  
Bebop

Joyce Vedral was the one that got me into weight lifting and helped me gain my strength.

I started with the Fat Burning workout Book. I didn't lose weight but you can't lose weight from just exercise. You need a low calorie healthy diet along with the exercise.

I started with very light weights because I was weak. From there I went to her definition book.

I'm a big Joyce Fan. I still use her and Cathe as my main weight training workouts.

You will read the following cons about Joyce:

1. Lifting speed
First of all - her endurance workouts - defintion, fat burning, - lift at about the same speed as Cathe in her endurance workouts. There are no "workout police" slow down if you need to. Also IMHO - the books are better than the videos of these.

2. Form - sloppy - Okay - I'll agree with this somewhat. However, I used to tell people, to just pick up a copy of Cathe MIS or any Cathe weight training workout to see proper form.

3. No warm ups or cool downs - this is true - I always tack on a Cathe warm up and yoga at the end.

Here is why I like Joyce:

No nonsense and time efficient. You can workout your entire upper body in 15 minutes. The pyramid system allows you to build strength gradually.
If you are a beginner just do one set and gradually build up.

Also, she doesn't use bar bells. I think she may show then in one of her workouts. The one designed for men.

These are classic gymstyle moves. No functional moves

Best workouts IMHO:
1. Bottoms Up Gold - Fantastic - supersets between different body parts
Good form and a 2 - 2- lifting speed.
If you are new to Joyce - you must get bottoms Up gold.
Then the Just Joyce Series.

2. Bathing suit workout is a classic and her Gut busters is just three rounds of variations of crunch exercises moving very quickly. If you don't like endless crunches skip this one. She has decent ab work throughout her workouts and they are all classic crunch varations.

2. Speedy Non-stop (the second one). Amazing and you can get your upper body and abs in 15 minutes!

4. Fast Forward - Rounds - three different body parts - A little faster speed but doable.

As far as her newer offerings - I have slow duets which I haven't done in a while so I can't remember if I even like it.
The last set I bought from her was the Just Joyce Series.

I'm currently in a Cathe phase but I'll switch to Joyce in a couple of months for muscle confusion.

Last edited by Bebop; 05-25-13 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 06:56 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Ok, this thread lead me to go back and request some of the mentioned books from Paperbackswap (where I've traded my copies away in the first place some years ago! LOL):
*12 Minute Total Body Workout
*The Fat Burning Workout

*College Dorm Workout (it wasn't mentioned here but the reviews on Amazon sounded great!)

And bought from an Amazon Marketplace seller *Definition, shape without bulk

Now I'm excited to actually start using Joyce's routine again! I remember back when I did follow her plan, I felt great! (Granted, I was also 10 yrs younger, but I'd like to think I can achieve that feeling & look again! -Or at least close to it! )

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

Old 05-26-13, 07:31 PM  
Anny

Momof2Gremlins, one of my sons does The College Dorm Workout or Toning for Teens and swears by them for time efficiency annd a good workout in a small space without having to go to the gym.
Old 05-26-13, 07:36 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny View Post
Momof2Gremlins, one of my sons does The College Dorm Workout or Toning for Teens and swears by them for time efficiency annd a good workout in a small space without having to go to the gym.
Thanks for letting me know, Anny!
I'm far from college years anymore LOL but the small space factor intrigued me!

Old 05-26-13, 07:44 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

This thread made me dig up my Joyce DVDs and I have quite a few of them. I used to love Definition - I'd just go at my own pace and pause the video now and then.

I used to have a bunch of her books too, bought used very cheaply from Amazon, but I gave them all away. I preferred following videos anyway.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 08:25 AM  
buffmama

These threads and the simplicity of the books have peaked my interest. I took the 12 min one out of the library but was looking for something that uses heavier weights. Which of her workouts use dynamic tension/isometric strength vs pyramids? Do they all superset? I'm also looking for a workout where the lower body work is as good as the upper. Which program should I look at? For those who have used multiple systems did the isometric/dynamic strength provide the same results? I'm trying to gain strength and muscle which I've lost a bit doing metabolic workouts. Thanks.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college dorm workout, definition, dynamic tension, joyce vedral, significant weight loss, weight loss, weights only