Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-13, 07:10 AM  
Tugger31

Cool OFF TOPIC: Any Baker's out there? Choc Chip Cookie question

I've been looking for a choc chip cookie recipe that makes cookies that are thick (not flat) and soft and chewy (not crispy). I've tried a few recipes in the past but the cookies even though some had the look I was going for, tasted too bland. Ive narrowed it down to these two but have some questions/reservations..

http://www.food.com/recipe/thick-sof...cookies-100727

The one above, I worry about the too much brown sugar taste.

The following one, I see that it has only 1/2 cup of butter, almost all other recipes I've come across have 1 cup of butter or 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 shortening, different ratios but the final end amount is 1 cup. With only 1/2 cup I wonder if these will be bland. I LOVE the look of them in the pic though!

http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/choc...-thick-n-chewy

Thanks
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 07:25 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

About 10 years ago, I did a big chocolate chip cookie experiment. I probably tried out 30+ recipes. I ended up using this one http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soft-ch...ip-cookies-ii/ as the basis and played with the ingredients for my now 'secret' recipe. I can't tell you all my secrets but I can give you this information.

If you use 1 cup of butter (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening) to 2 cups of flour, you should get the consistency you are looking for. They will be more soft and chewy with the butter/shortening mix.

One thing that helps is to chill the dough (at least 4 hours) before baking and don't preheat the oven before putting the cookie sheet in.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 07:35 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have always used the original Toll House Cookie recipe, NOT the one they have had on the packages since the 1980s, but the ORIGINAL original recipe that my mom pulled off the package back in the early 1960s. The recipe below is doubled since it never seemed worth the effort to back what was one batch back in 1960.

2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix those ingredients. Then add:

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. shortening

Mix those ingredients. Then add:

2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. The key is to pull them out of the oven just after they have begun to brown and the raw look is done.

Good luck with your search!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 07:55 AM  
PeakFitness

I agree with chilling the dough first, it really keeps the cookie from being too flat.
Old 05-23-13, 07:59 AM  
sherry7899

I didn't know about chilling the dough-thanks for the tip!

I don't have a copy right now, but I really like the recipe on the back of the Trader Joe's bag of chocolate chips
They come out soft and chewy every time. I think I almost underbake them by one minute (exactly) and they firm up a little while
they cool off.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 07:59 AM  
Demeris

I haven't looked at your links, Tugger, but in my 20's, I was the chocolate chip cookie queen (I can't eat like that any more *heavy sigh*).

If you add 1/2 cup of oats--the quick cooking version--they will plump up your cookies and not significantly change the taste of them (more than that will alter the cookie taste and texture).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 08:07 AM  
Yelly

Without a doubt, this recipe from Cooks Illustrated:

Published January 1, 1996.
MAKES 1 1/2 DOZEN 3-INCH COOKIES
These truly chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious served warm from the oven or cooled. To ensure a chewy texture, leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool. You can substitute white, milk chocolate, or peanut butter chips for the semi- or bittersweet chips called for in the recipe. In addition to chips, you can flavor the dough with one cup of nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut.
INGREDIENTS
2 1/8cups bleached all-purpose flour (about 10 1/2 ounces)
1/2teaspoon table salt
1/2teaspoon baking soda
12tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1cup brown sugar (light or dark), 7 ounces
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1 - 2cups chocolate chips or chunks (semi or bittersweet)
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.
3. Following illustrations below, form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough’s uneven surface. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined 20-by-14-inch lipless cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.)
4. Bake, reversing cookie sheets’ positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.
STEP-BY-STEP

SHAPING THICK CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1. Creating a jagged surface on each dough ball gives the finished cookies an attractive appearance. Start by rolling a scant 1/4 cup of dough into a smooth ball.

2. Holding the dough ball in the fingertips of both hands, pull the dough apart into two equal halves.

3. Each half will have a jagged surface where it was ripped from the other. Rotate each piece 90 degrees so that the jagged edge faces up.

4. Jam the halves back together into one ball so that the top surface remains jagged.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 08:12 AM  
Yelly

The previous recipe is AMAZING, but this one is my absolute favorite, because you brown the butter first - OMG!

MAKES 16 COOKIES
Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.
INGREDIENTS
1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2teaspoon baking soda
14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1teaspoon table salt
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13, 08:15 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
About 10 years ago, I did a big chocolate chip cookie experiment. I probably tried out 30+ recipes. I ended up using this one http://allrecipes.com/recipe/soft-ch...ip-cookies-ii/ as the basis and played with the ingredients for my now 'secret' recipe. I can't tell you all my secrets but I can give you this information.
Next time you do this, will you please call me? I will volunteer my services. Thanks.
Old 05-23-13, 08:28 AM  
mountaingal

thick chewy chocolate chip cookies

This is my absolute favorite recipe:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/thic...0000001160556/

I plan on making a batch or two for the library's bake sale this weekend. I also get requests to bring these to potlucks.

Enjoy!

Cynthia
mountaingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocolate chip cookies, off-topic