Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-13, 07:58 AM  
JessicaW

Interesting article about The Biggest Loser Season 14 Finale

It says that the "Show Promotes Bad Science and Stereotypes" by promoting the 2 worst ways to lose weight:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/30...ce-stereotypes
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 10:52 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I've always wondered about the contestants regaining weight once the series is over. The exercise is so excessive, I didn't think a person could keep it up -- or want to!

One thing though, I always get on my Bellicon during the show to get some extra movement in, and it's the one night that I don't get a snack or two while watching t.v.!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 11:02 AM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

One disservice of this show (which I barely watched) is conveying shame about normal weight loss. It seems dishonorable if a contestant loses one or two pounds, or worse, doesn't lose weight for a week. Slow and sure wins the race in real life, and there can be plateau weeks, even on the strictest diet.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 11:13 AM  
sherry7899

I also feel badly for the women-you know some weigh ins have to be at the same time as their TOM, but of course they will not say that, so they have to act ashamed that they did not lose much, lose at all or gain that week. I really hate when they say they have "only" lost such and such amount.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 11:25 AM  
SpiritSong

I don't watch the show anymore due to the unhealthy ways contestents would "lose weight" prior to weigh-ins, including dehydration. I mean, really, to lose the most weight and win the money, once it gets close to the finale, you should stop working out in order to lose some muscle mass, eat the minimum amount of calories and drink the minimum amount of water that will keep your organs going, and use laxatives (or get your colon cleaned out).

I also don't like the example they set for the speed of weight loss. They go from obese to average-size in a few months. Now try to tell an obese person that losing two pounds a week is healthy rate of weight loss (or tell a non-obese overweight person that 0.5 to one pound a week is the best goal for them). What? I can't wait that long!! Okay, then go on this show, lose a ton of weight, and good luck trying to keep it off when you get back to your real life.
Old 03-20-13, 05:34 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

This show makes me angry for these reasons and others. I've noticed that some of my friends with exercise and food issues watch it obsessively and use it as reinforcement for their particular bugaboos.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 06:05 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

My friends and I have started a Biggest Loser challenge among ourselves. However, even we know that what they do on the show is very drastic. For us, it is just an added incentive to exercise more consistently, eat more healthy, etc. We are aiming for 2 pounds per week and a regimen that we can continue even when the challenge is over.

However, when corporations do these contests, and large amounts of money are involved, there can be unintended consequences. My friend was involved in a corporate challenge. She came in second. She didn't do anything until the last two weeks and literally starved herself so that she wouldn't look bad on the scale. The first-place winner was already slender, but brought his weight down to excessive levels on a vodka diet (her words????). He looked like a walking skeleton when the challenge was done but he also walked away with the money prize.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest loser