Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-13, 05:33 PM  
boukilisa

Interview with Kai from Season 3 of Biggest Loser - could be controversial.

I don't watch the Biggest Loser so I apologize if this has been discussed. But I read an interview with Kai from season 3 that makes what the contestants go through sound horrible: Biggest Loser Bad for Contestants

I'm not familiar with this person, so I don't know if she has a bone to pick but some of her stories are scary and outrageous if they're true. Anyone else been following this?
Old 02-11-13, 05:43 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I haven't read this particular interview but Kai has given other interviews. She never paints a pretty picture of BL. I do think what she is saying is true though. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers of the show tried to sue her or threaten her to be quiet.
Old 02-11-13, 06:49 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I always wondered why the contestants were so mean to the ones who were invited back to the ranch but I guess that's why. IIRC, it was Kai who said it wasn't fair that they had lost all that weight at home where they could be with their families and still got to come back. If she really went through all that, I can understand why she would be so resentful.

I wonder which trainers she's talking about. Bob? Kim? That's disturbing to think that they claim to care so much about their contestants and then dehydrate them or tell them to exercise injured or deny them electrolytes.

I don't know how accurate her comments are but I'm not sure what she would have to gain by making it up.
Old 02-11-13, 06:56 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I haven't read this particular interview but Kai has given other interviews. She never paints a pretty picture of BL. I do think what she is saying is true though. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers of the show tried to sue her or threaten her to be quiet.
Helen this was one of her earlier interviews from 2010. I remember how vocal she was about the abuse she went through at BL.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 08:04 PM  
EnglishIvy

I have seen a few of the BL episodes and don't need this woman's interview to know that the format is dangerous and inhumane. IMHO, the show has a "punish the fat people" vibe that I find repulsive. There's no way to produce the scale numbers (and the drama) they do without injuring the participants. I remember wondering how many knees, shoulders etc would be permanently damaged because of the reckless training schedule. I think this woman was very brave to come forward like she did. What a shock to win a hopeful place in the show and then go on to suffer so much emotional trauma for the entertainment of others. I'm so glad she has a loving family to help her heal.

I wish there was a show with a sensible program and compassionate guidance. I think seeing a genuine, accessible program that supported team spirit and camaraderie could inspire and entertain. Reality TV is such a black eye on humans. We're still throwing people to the lions in one way or the other
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 08:12 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I have seen a few of the BL episodes and don't need this woman's interview to know that the format is dangerous and inhumane. IMHO, the show has a "punish the fat people" vibe that I find repulsive. There's no way to produce the scale numbers (and the drama) they do without injuring the participants. I remember wondering how many knees, shoulders etc would be permanently damaged because of the reckless training schedule. I think this woman was very brave to come forward like she did. What a shock to win a hopeful place in the show and then go on to suffer so much emotional trauma for the entertainment of others. I'm so glad she has a loving family to help her heal.

I wish there was a show with a sensible program and compassionate guidance. I think seeing a genuine, accessible program that supported team spirit and camaraderie could inspire and entertain. Reality TV is such a black eye on humans. We're still throwing people to the lions in one way or the other
Gosh, I agree with everything you said SO much. Watching other people be humiliated seems to be our national pastime
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 09:53 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

it is a horrible time for those contestants. I'm glad she spoke out and yes, I did listen to the interview. It's all over the web. She took a big risk but people should now, tis not sweet on the grand Camp.
they treat them horribly.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 12:02 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

WOW, I never realized they treated the contestants like that.

I've been watching this year, and have been thinking how horrible Jillian is, screaming at the people, and getting right in their faces and telling them to get out, and that they're not trying, etc. -- didn't realize it was constant and from the other trainers and all of the staff.

I did wonder how anybody could lose as much weight as some of them do in one week. Also, why they'd work them so hard that they'd be throwing up and passing out............
Why have I been watching this

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 12:18 PM  
vplan

I never watched Bl. However, few years back, I was flipping the channels and heard Jillian screaming in a very degrading way at the contestant. This is when I knew, I will not buy a single DVD produced by that person.
Old 02-12-13, 12:25 PM  
Judy W.

As a formerly morbidly obese and now fit 60-something lady, I've always steered clear of BL.

I was a chubby teen far before the national obesity epidemic, back at a time when every classroom had one "fat girl", and that girl was me. I remember how PE teachers, "helpful" acquaintances and even strangers used to lecture me on the evils of being fat. FAT was ugly, unhealthy, disgusting, demonstrated a lazy attitude ("fat and lazy" was an oft-heard phrase), and furthermore no man would ever want to marry me. FAT was bad, and I was FAT!

Whenever I would eat, there was never a shortage of people who would criticize every bite. How dare I eat that? I'd gain more weight!

I was blessed with a family that loved me, but my ever-increasing weight scared and frustrated them, so I sometimes heard the same accusations coming from family members. I was enrolled in programs where the "professionals" told me pretty much the same thing, and tried to force me to do exercises and eat yucky foods that felt much more like torture.

As a result, I came to believe deep within that diet and exercise were punishments for being a BAD fat disgusting person that no man would ever want to marry. My opinion of my own self-worth was pretty abysmal!

How I went from that to the fit person I am today is a long story, and a miracle. I still bear the scars from those bad old days. And I cringe whenever I see any overweight person treated the way they are on BL! Perhaps there are a few who can make a permanent change, and I wish them the best.

Overall, I see this BL approach as harmful, and I wonder at our capacity to be entertained by watching the humiliation of fellow human beings!
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest loser