Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-12, 09:37 AM  
isebelleg44

Best and Worst Purchases of 2012

I was going to wait and start this thread, but it is always one of my favorites so I couldn't wait.

Best Purchase in a long time:

Ultimate Yogi- I took advantage of the amazing Deep Discount deal and am so glad I did. I have never felt this way about yoga and I am determined to do the 108 days. It might take me all year, but I am going to do it! I put this set as one of my best all time purchases! (an idea for another thread)

On to the rest of my list...

Best:

Cathe Crosstrain & To the Max - Fun music and versatile dvd.
Delta Fit - I really liked these workouts, length, moves and BJ Gaddour is a hoot!
Kettlebell Kickboxing - Yes she talks too much, music is nonexistent, but there are some great moves here and you can't beat the length!
Horizontal Conditioning - I have Volumes 1-3 and traded for three of the 101s. I am not going to lie, these are dread inducing for me but I feel so accomplished when I am done. Sorta of how I used to feel with Insanity workouts.

Jury is Out:

Les Mills Combat- I have enjoyed the 3 workouts I have done, but am so disappointed in the music volume and the gloves. I know I will use these on a regular basis, but it wasn't the home run that I had hoped for.

Disappointments:

KCM Plateau Buster and Cardio Quickfix- I love Kelly, but these workouts were meh.

P90X2- I liked the first phase, but was disappointed in set since the original P90X is one my all time best purchases. Hopefully I will revisit these, but will probably have to do some major modifying for phase 2.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 09:58 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I have lots I could add to both lists, but for now will just list my #1 home run:

~ Jari's Weights & Abs routine from Ex. Ripped Lean Machine. I've raved about it before, but it singlehandedly revived my excitement for weights, for Jari and for the "body pump" style of training. And being only 30 minutes long means it's a *no dread, no excuses* workout for me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 10:04 AM  
iheartsts

I' ve been in a workout slump this year, but I' d have to say the best are:

Ultimate Yogi - bought it earlier this year and just recently started it. I' m totally motivated to complete it. Consistent yoga workouts are what really help get me centered and always seem to be what helps me lose a few of those stubborn pounds.

Addiction Fitness Heavy Bag Workouts - I' d been wanting these for awhile and I' m soooo happy I finally got them! So much fun, and these workouts are responsible for getting me back on the "wanting to exercise" track. I actually look forward to doing these.

Worst...none....
Old 12-26-12, 10:13 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

The good. To me the biggest unexpected positive surprise was Lisa Balash's Kettlebell Bombshell Advanced DVD. This is the most underrated kettlebell DVD of the year. Picking a heavy enough kettlebell those workouts are awesome. Also, the description of different moves are very much on target. I think the cover is misleading, it is not a "girly" but a tough kettlebell workout.

The bad. P90X 2 was a little disappointment, too many toys, too complicated, but I love Tony anyway.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 10:17 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Best - two live workshops with Ravi and Ana; Yin classes at my local studio; additions to my Ravi and Ana video collection; a Yin/philosophy immersion in an art gallery. Also a temporary YogaGlo subscription (suspended during Christmas and home heating oil seasons).

Like but not love - Kelly's Plateau Buster and Cardio Express. I need to try both again, they might move up higher on my like-o-meter.

Worst - Tai Cheng. Sent it back. That was a huge disappointment. Beach Body had the potential to put out a fabulous mind/body fitness program led by a world class martial arts and kettlebell instructor, and it failed on all levels. Dull, boring, repetitive, and ultimately ineffective.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 10:42 AM  
dela

Best:
Body Beast!
Les Mills Pump + the Cardio Combat DVD
Kettlebell Kickboxing
Tapout XT - Not into these right now, but LOVED them at the time
DeltaFit
Sarah's Essentrics - her 2 new dvds (Stretch & Strength and Class 2012)
Les Mills Body Combat set, my only complaint is the music level

Disappointments:
KCM Plateau Buster - I could not get past the music in the first segment.

Jury still out - but leaning to NO:
ButiFit - This just may be too far out of my comfort zone.

BurstFit - I never received it! Still working on getting them, but the clips are not thrilling me.

KCM Cardio Quick Fix - I only tried one workout, and it worked out well as a recovery dvd, but I can't see doing it normally. It was like an extended warm up to be honest.

Michael O. System of Sleek, I'm just not gelling with these. But this might be because of my workout "mood" lately, and will revisit later next year.

I'll have to count my new Ilaria's next year in the 2013 thread, I won't have time to get to all of them.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 10:45 AM  
laurajhawk

Another vote for Ultimate Yogi as the Best. That was my year-opening rotation and was terrific, and I'll continue to get use from the DVDs.

As I was finishing that rotation, I bought several yoga DVDs that I've barely used at all - Sadie Nardini, Kathryn Budig, Tara Styles. They're not *bad* - but with my studio membership (another Best candidate), I just am not using full-length yoga DVDs very much, and when I do I go back to my tried & true ones - Travis and Eoin, mostly.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 11:27 AM  
nubiennelady

Best - Gym Membership (mine offers MMA classes in addition to Zumba, Spinning, Etc) and is open 24 hours.

Worst - Exerspy (expensive, antiquated food tracking software, need to shell out extra $$ to see immediate readings)
nubiennelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 11:43 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Best:
Celebrity Trainers NYC
Cathe Turbo Barre
Fitbit Ultra
Hip Hop Dance Experience for Kinect
Kinect Sports Ultimate Collection
Mike Donavanik's Extreme Burn
Disco Abs Bodies on Fire, led by Jen Galardi
Summer gym membership

Worst:
Adidas micoach for Kinect - worst interface ever, much too complicated

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 12:44 PM  
daisyfit

Best
Ultimate Yogi
ultimate yogi short and sweet
Cathe Crossfire
Cathe To the Max
All of Leah Sarago's DVDs
CAthe's Turbobarre

Worst
Tai Cheng- I found the set so uninspiring and have only managed to do one of the workouts twice. Very disappointing.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 best and worst, best of, kathryn budig, met-rx, met-rx 180, this is yoga