Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-12, 06:37 PM  
Pam

What's Your Favorite Before Bed Yoga DVD?

It generally takes me awhile to fall asleep, as my mind won't shut off. I have tried all the usual things generally suggested that are suppose to help.

Last night for the first time, I did yoga shortly before going to bed. I did the Restful Sleep practice that is part of Jason Crandall's Yoga for Well-Being (3 sequences that also include Greater Energy and Mental Clarity).

It was great, as I would start to think what I wanted to do tomorrow, etc, immediately the thougth would come I don't want to think of that and the peacefulness and thoughts of just what I was doing to get ready for bed came back. I went to sleep immediately and slept very soundly.

I also have his DVD, Your Complete Home Practice: Yoga for Morning, Noon & Night. I have not done his Night practice yet. What other DVDs are favorites of your's to use before bed? As being a good VFer, I want to have a selection.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 07:04 PM  
jerebo

I like any number of the practices on Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief--even the ones that are not necessarily meant for coping with sleep (the hip, lower back, and passive shoulder stretches are all very nice). I enjoy Crunch Candlelight Yoga, and really liked Patricia Walden's PM yoga from many years ago (I no longer have it).
Old 10-21-12, 07:53 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Cathe's Yoga Relax puts me to sleep sometimes when I do a 30-min. premix before bed. Cathe's voice isn't very soothing, so it must be the music.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:08 PM  
laurajhawk

I like the PM segment of Nirvair Singh Khalsa's AM/PM DVD; the forward bends from Rodney Yee's AM Yoga For Your Week and also the forward bend section from his Yoga for Energy (I think that section is called "Reflection" on the menu; it's less than 10 minutes long); and the Evening Bath practice from Hemalayaa's Yoga for Urban Living.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 08:16 PM  
mountaingal

I like the PM segment of Elements AM & PM Yoga for Beginners with Elena Brower.

There are also some segments on the other Elements yoga DVDs that I like to do in the evening too.

Cynthia
mountaingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-12, 09:17 PM  
Pam

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! A couple of them I already have (Crunch Candlelight Yoga and Cathe's Yoga Relax) and I had not thought of using them for a pre-bed yoga practice. A couple more I just ordered and I was wondered what I was going to put on my wishlist for the Holiday Exchange, the rest will go there.

Thanks again! This is going to be especially helpful, as the first part of the year I work long hours in my business, often quitting just before bedtime. I think having a selection of relaxing yoga DVDs to choose from, is going to help me to do one every night or at least most nights before going to bed.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 03:17 AM  
yahoo205

Haven't done it but someone recommended Hemalaya Behl Yoga for Urban Living Evening bath
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 10:17 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I'm still experimenting and so far nothing has worked a miracle sometimes power yoga has done the trick by stretching out the hips and just plain relieving stress I guess.
but for soothing and relaxing I did Kripalu Yoga Gentle(both sessions) the other night and would have been out like a light except for my dogs and darned diuretic for blood pressure kicking in it was very nice - ugliest set ever and don't even focus on the awful outfits *shudder* but the set is dark and I made the room dark as well. I think it's hatha yoga but done slow and her voice was very soft and gentle. no rushing between moves and there were forward bends and some downdogs - there's a savasana after the first session and she says stop and stay there or keep on for the next routine so the 2nd routine starts lying down and near the end there's a 'free style' where you move how you feel your body wants to move- couple of new-agey sayings toward teh end about a 'light' or something but very very relaxing for me at least the time I did it and it may become a favorite after just that one use...

I'm still modifying Tamal Dodge's Element yoga relaxation - one pose still give sme problems (rabbit)but otherwise it's long-held poses that do feel pretty good. as many problems as I had the first time through I knew it was one I wanted to work with -2nd time I had folded blanket, strap and blocks.

ther's one called ZYoga I did a couple of times several years ago - seems like it uses props which bugged me at the time but it was pretty nice and I like hwo she says something like if you still can't sleep at least rest better and I did.(would have preferred sleeping through)

Element yoga has another with stress relief that's pretty good - no standing poses at all just a lot of breathing and a weird sticking out tongue making a noise move that actually felt pretty good though felt weird.

I 2nd Yee's Energy Reflection portion and his AM Yoga for Your week forward bends - I like the hip openers too and twists.

yoga for every body has a beginner that time of month pratice that's all seated stretches that's also really nice.

tara stiles this is yoga has a pm flow- I found it challenging but it works for when I need power yoga or something to work out the kinds and burn off some stress before sleeping.
Old 10-22-12, 11:07 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith938 View Post
ther's one called ZYoga I did a couple of times several years ago - seems like it uses props which bugged me at the time but it was pretty nice and I like hwo she says something like if you still can't sleep at least rest better and I did.(would have preferred sleeping through)
Just about any yoga that has a restorative feel to it can help relax you and get you ready for sleep. I used ZYoga for quite awhile to help induce sleep more directly. I often would do it when I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. It worked well for me. Then, I switched to a better job and didn't need something to specifically induce sleep.

I still remember that line about how even if you can't sleep get a good rest. Usually, this is when I am taking time to go to sleep and I remember that and commit to resting instead of getting up. Then, I drift off to sleep, naturally.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 12:47 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Believe it or not, Rodney Yee's AM Yoga is great for before bed. It is relaxing and gentle, and his voice is calming.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rainbeau mars, this is yoga, yoga, yoga relax