Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-12, 08:32 PM  
Carolyn Smith

My gym pet peeve is the people (always guys so far) who do the machines with a very small range of motion and very fast. One guy I've nicknamed George Clanker because he does the above and ALSO clanks the machine. YOu can hear him from the locker room!!!!! ARgggggggghhhhh!!!!
Old 04-17-12, 08:37 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
And my personal pet peeve is the women who get on the stairmaster for an hour, hunched over and grabbing the handrails, butt sticking out and taking teeny steps on their tippytoes. It hurts to look at it. And I don't understand it.
I don't belong to the gym anymore but this used to drive me crazy!!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 08:42 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
People who go up to the dumbbell rack, select a weight, and JUST STAND RIGHT THERE AND DO THEIR EXERCISE. I feel like saying, Dude (it's ALWAYS a guy), if you can't carry the weight a whopping five feet or so back to a bench to use it, it's probably too heavy for you.
OMG, yes that one! I forgot that one, so rude!
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 06:05 AM  
msbuko

The stair master comments reminded me of 2 more things..

Girls who would jack the treadmills up to the highest incline & fight & struggle the whole time trying to hang on & not fall backwards off the machine. It was pretty comical to watch!

There was also one guy who ran on the treadmill quite often & I learned very quickly to steer clear of him. He had something I'd call projectile sweat! Seriously! He sweat like huge buckets of water were being poured on him & it went EVERYWHERE! I was on a machine behind him once & got hit with it. When he was done, it the machine & all around it was always a mess. Never once did I see him even attempt to clean it up. Now, that's just gross!
msbuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 06:53 AM  
andtckrtoo

Cell phones are banned in our locker rooms (which is good).

Women who come into the gym in full make up and skin tight clothes.

People who stand right in front of or beside me chatting while I'm trying to concentrate on a workout.

Women who wear perfume to the gym. Man, I had to move a few times as the perfume gave me a headache.
Old 04-18-12, 07:53 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbuko View Post
There was also one guy who ran on the treadmill quite often & I learned very quickly to steer clear of him. He had something I'd call projectile sweat! Seriously! He sweat like huge buckets of water were being poured on him & it went EVERYWHERE! I was on a machine behind him once & got hit with it. When he was done, it the machine & all around it was always a mess. Never once did I see him even attempt to clean it up. Now, that's just gross!
Ha ha, we have one of those. I call him "Booger Man" because while running, he keeps wiping his nose with alternating hands and than reaching behind and wiping the boogers on his backside.

Then there is Orange Man, or as my husband calls him, Baby High Step. Very thin wiry guy, spray tanned a buff deep orange and with his coif'ed hair died burgundy. He has Intense Moments while listening to the ipod, causing him to break into a skip on the treadmill. Then he moves on to the recumbent bikes where he conducts orchestra music while pedaling. At least he is clean, I must give him that.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 08:02 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
Or as my sophisticated husband says, the smeller's the feller, lol.

I have a three month couple's membership to a gym that I won in a silent auction (a bargain for $37!). I'm a bit scared now to go ....
Eh, you know, these are pet peeves. There have been threads as long (OK, easily twice as long) about video pet peeves (bad music! bad lighting! bad clothes! bad background exercises! crappy camera angles! too much equipment! poor form! and those are just a few of the usual culprits).

All in all I keep going to my gym because 1) it's convenient, 2) it has stuff I can't fit into my apt. that I like to use 3) there's more room, 4) the people on the whole are a pretty inspiring lot. Yes, there are crazy people there - a friend and co-worker is one of those cardio bunnies who spends - I am NOT exaggerating - two hours on the machines at a pop. I think it's her hobby. But there are men and women there who are strong, fit, healthy, and do some amazing stuff.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 08:27 AM  
darbyndoug

I used to attend a packed vinyasa class at the Y... 40 - 50 people, mat to mat. I loved the instructor... but my pet peeves with the class itself: 1. people who begrudgingly move their mats when it's obvious that the class is so crowded that they need to. Most people were great about it, but every once in a while.... And 2. Not really a pet peeve, more like a "wince." The ones who are going to get into that more advanced modification no matter what. I used to think, okay, please don't let me hear the awful sound of a hamstring tearing or a knee popping. Yikes!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, pet peeves