Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-11, 07:55 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Do you think geography/climate has a role in your fitness?

I live in Atlanta, called Hot'lanta for a reason. Humidity and intense heat make working out outside like working out in a sauna. Even if one of those elements is missing, the other is front and center. Some people thrive on that; I do not. And my mother did not. And her mother did not.

After a trip to San Diego where I walked from one end of the city to another and wanted more more more, it made me wonder if I lived there if I would be more active or if a slug is a slug no matter where they slither.

What do you think? Does your physical location on a map play a role in fitness? Does the sheer beauty of your environs make you want to be out and about? Does the 3 feet of snow in your 'hood make you want to don the snowshoes or go swooshing, or does it make you reach for the hot chocolate, the Snuggie and a good book?

(And of course by the nature of filmed workouts, we know how to avail ourselves of the climate-controlled workout. But I know that the weather outside does affect my whole mood/outlook, no matter what modern advancements do to my immediate environment.)

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 08:14 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I definitely think so. Even local geography. I live in a great walking neighborhood. There's a park across the street, wooded areas, some hilly areas with closely-packed historic homes (something different to look at every 50 feet), flat areas, lots of variety. I was looking at a house in a newer development. It was flat, all the houses looked alike, and there were no trees. The same "view" went on forever. I thought if I lived there, I'd never go outside for a walk. There was a canal path nearby which would be the saving grace.

Regarding the weather/climate. Even if it's not a formal workout, nicer weather would lead to just more outdoor activity. When it's cold and snowy, I really don't want to walk to the store. I like snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, but frankly, the cold wind and my sinuses make for a miserable experience. Shoveling has become my main snow-related activity. So I'll do a dvd and have the hot chocolate later
Old 11-30-11, 08:34 AM  
roz

I would be a slug if I lived in an area where a good portion of the year it was hot and humid. I definitely do not thrive in such a climate.
I love to go out for a walk on a cold, clear day. Unfortunately, it seems that every year we have less of those days and its more likely to be somewhat less cold but much more gray. I hate the constant dreariness too.
Don't get me wrong-- I like warmer weather-- spring is my favorite season. I don't like hot weather, though. Seems like that is more the norm too (in the summer) now. I'm mighty glad I don't live in a drought stricken area, though! I can't imagine living in Texas.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 08:34 AM  
hotncmom

Absolutely. I live in the SE too, and the heat and humidity prevent me from going outside frequently. It seems to get hotter earlier every year (this year we started in the 90's by the end of May). Even when it's slightly cooler it's uncomfortably humid a lot of the time, like walking in a steam room.

There are probably only 20% of days each year where it is neither too hot, too cold, too humid, or not raining/snowing that I find it amenable to walking outside. I guess I'm the Goldilocks of outdoor workouts

I dream of living in a low humidity state. With beautiful scenery, not suburban hell like here. Like Colorado
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 08:56 AM  
sherry7899

I wish there was somewhere to live where it's about 70 degrees all year with no humidity. I hate the heat and humidity, and I hate the cold/snow. It seems like in NJ, we practically skip over spring some years and go straight to the humid weather. I'd like to live somewhere where you don't need winter coats and can go swimming all year round. Swimming is really the only outdoor exercise I like.

I don't know if I'd exercise outside more if I lived in a different climate since I've never lived anywhere else.

We don't want to retire here, but do not know where we want to go....we love the ocean and would still want to be within driving distance of it.

Colorado looks utterly gorgeous, but I'd want to be near the ocean, and getting snow in September and May would not be fun for me! We have friends who moved there, so they've told us about the weather.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 08:56 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't think it plays much of a role in my fitness. Yes, really hot, muggy weather or cold and snow keeps me indoors more, but the opposite doesn't happen. I don't get outdoors to exercise when it's nice. I do get outdoors some more, but I still exercise to videos in my basement first thing in the morning when it's nice. And then, I plan on getting out and about later in a way that doesn't impact my fitness at all.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 08:59 AM  
sherry7899

Laura, I also exercise first thing in the morning in our finished basement. I don't know if I'd ever really become an outdoor exerciser no matter where we live. I can't do high impact like jogging (injuries) and I really don't enjoy walking for exercise because I don't think I push myself hard enough-I need videos to do that. I don't like hiking, and I'm too klutzy or have no desire to ski, ice skate, etc.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 09:21 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've been walking daily for over a year now and skiing for several--and live in MN. When it's super cold here I put on my ski gear and walk. I don't mind the cold---I hate the hot/humid.

I do think it would be hard to fit in fitness if you lived in an area that had no paved roads, etc. My parents live in rural South Dakota and during the winter the gravel roads are so icy and snowpacked that they would never consider walking. They don't like to exercise at all, anyway. Their idea of exercise is "being on their feet" usually cooking in the kitchen.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 09:24 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz View Post
I would be a slug if I lived in an area where a good portion of the year it was hot and humid. I definitely do not thrive in such a climate.
I love to go out for a walk on a cold, clear day. Unfortunately, it seems that every year we have less of those days and its more likely to be somewhat less cold but much more gray. I hate the constant dreariness too.
Don't get me wrong-- I like warmer weather-- spring is my favorite season. I don't like hot weather, though. Seems like that is more the norm too (in the summer) now. I'm mighty glad I don't live in a drought stricken area, though! I can't imagine living in Texas.
Every winter I take one or two long weekend breaks to someplace warm. It gives me a break from the cold and the parkas, but it also reminds me that I really can't take the heat. I've often wished that I did like the heat so I could live somewhere that didn't require bundling up to take out the garbage. Ironically, I also don't like air conditioning, but that may be because so many places set it too low.

I think I'd be happiest between 40 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit, windows open, natural light (but not bright )
Old 11-30-11, 09:40 AM  
Sophie

I wouldn't necessarily say fitness, since there are plenty of indoor options, but certainly selection of type of activity. I do live in a place that's bitterly cold in the winter, and it's not just snow that sits there all pretty-like, it's freeze/thaw cycles and wind that lays snow on top of ice over and over again and makes it genuinely hazardous.

Fortunately there are plenty of indoor options.

What I do think makes more of a difference (not necessarily to me, but the population in general) than the climate is the built environment. I live in a notoriously foot/bike unfriendly town for commuting, and my son's high school doesn't even bike racks. Ludicrous. There are more disincentives than incentives to active commuting.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geography, where do you live