Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-11, 11:29 AM  
Hej

I prefer not to have voice-over, but if it's done well it's okay. Ballet Body is mostly voice over and that's good and so are the early Core Fusions. If the timing is off, it's terrible though.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 11:39 AM  
kali1

I don't mind voice overs. The ones I have I like and use regularly.
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 12:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen86 View Post
What??..you don't like Kim Kardashian's step aerobic vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNqb...eature=related I think it's her voice in the voiceover but then she also makes comments live too. And other times it looks like she is moving her mouth to look like she is saying the voiceover stuff live. I never thought that much about voiceover until I happened on this...it's classically bad but isn't to be taken seriously anyway, so no harm done.
LOL--I tried this from the library (I admit, I was curious! ), and the blend of VO with live was definitely odd. (I think Kim's other two workouts with Jen Galardi are all live, however.)

That being said, I agree with Kath that voiceover for cardio and strength just doesn't seem to work very well. I don't mind it at all for yoga, and I usually don't mind for Pilates either, although I think Pilates can be done well live too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 02:56 PM  
KathAL79

Actually, Kathleen, I was thinking of the Veena & Neena ("the bellydance twins") and some Dance & Be Fit videos I tried. The instructors were rather...vapid. "Now prance... prance... prance. [pause] Good job." And the one chick in the Dance & Be Fit seemed surprised by the routine, at one point saying something like, "Oh, we turned there?!" Uh, hello, it's your routine that you supposedly did before doing the voiceover. At least Kim's sounds amusing!

I think the problem with voiceover for cardio especially is that too often instructors seem to treat it as commentary (like the director's or actor's commentary on a movie) rather than as instruction. For whatever reason more yoga instructors don't seem to have this issue, perhaps because the way many teach yoga lends itself better to voiceover instruction.

The mix of live and voiceover on Kim's reminds me of Hilary Burnett's, which is mostly live but has a few voiceover comments in there, and I won't reveal how long it took me to figure out that she was doing a combo thereof. The key to getting those to blend smoothly is to keep the volume, tone, pacing, etc., the same; far too often it's obviously something was inserted later.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 03:49 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I don't like voice overs. It feels like too much like an instruction video vs a class to me.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 07:58 PM  
Vee

For yoga, I don't mind voice over as others have said here.

If a solo instructor is performing the class, the instructor can match breath to movement and focus on showing you how to move and align better when they are not talking. The "visual" cueing is better for me when a solo instructor is not talking.

If they have participants in the class, the instructor can focus less on being the demonstrater and cue live. Instead of doing the postures personally,they can sometimes take a break to highlight what is to be done by standing next to a backgrounder.

In yoga, alignment makes a tremendous difference. It goes a bit beyond good form in most other forms of working out in my opinion.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:53 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

No. They seem impersonal. I like DVD workouts to be like live classes.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:41 AM  
LAC

I used to find voice over really creepy. But as I've become more and more interested in yoga, my tolerance for it has increased.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 09:44 AM  
bearcatfan

The only voice over dvds I like are Michael Olajide's. And that's because Michael's voice is sexy and hypnotic.

Tags
pet peeves, voiceover