Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-11, 05:32 PM  
zumzum

I tend to get crankiest with the instructor stopping when it's a tough workout and I'm having trouble keeping up or am bored. I want to take a break too! If they can't keep up, why should I?
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 05:35 PM  
iheartsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
Tanya Becker of P57 - I don't really know why I see her as an exception.
Exactly!! I can't stand it when instructors stop and move around, but I really don't mind when Tanya does it, and I also don't know why I don't mind.

I finally gave up on CLX because it drove me to distraction when Chalene stopped and walked around, and I love Chalene...
Old 09-15-11, 05:37 PM  
Scbayless

Makes me nuts in Peak 10 cardio burn when in the blast she suddenly stops (like the only time in the whole work out) during a blast and turns around to cheer everyone on. It's really weird and totally like she's just giving up.
Old 09-15-11, 07:44 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
The two cases I don't mind it are with yoga dvds of live classes (obviously) and Tanya Becker of P57 - I don't really know why I see her as an exception.
That's so funny that Tanya has been mentioned, b/c I was thinking the same thing! I think maybe it's because she keeps up her cueing in a very rhythmic way, so even though she isn't performing the exercises, she's helping me 'keep up.'
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:55 PM  
buffmama

I can't say it bothers me but can say that seeing the instructor do the workout with good form and cues motivates me that much more. They're my buddies and working out with me makes me feel closer to them.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 08:08 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Doesn't bother me in the least. It's pretty apparent from their bodies that they can do the workout they are leading.

I think of them as teachers not performers. Teachers don't take their own tests either.

Joan
this....

although in p90x tony's oneupmanship and ego irritate me... but my other dvd's where they stop doesn't bother me... it's not like i'm STARING at the tv screen... i'm usually working too hard to be staring at what the instructor is doing!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 08:15 PM  
tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I agree!

I don't think twice about whether the instructor has stopped or not. What the instructor is or is not doing, has absolutely no effect on me personally. I'm worried about what I'm doing and the results I'm getting, not the instructor's.
Same here. I guess I feel like it's my workout, not theirs. I also rely mostly on audio cues. I don't need to watch the instructor to know what good form is, or what a particular move is.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 08:29 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen86 View Post
It doesn't aggravate me..but it does throw me for a second. Especially Tony Horton in all the P90x cardio workouts..he stops so abruptly that I think the interval is done...it doesn't mess with my motivation too much though, I just jump back in. Cathe seems like super woman in all of her workouts to be able to talk and workout at the same time.
This is how I feel too. I can deal with it, but I don't like it because if I happen to be looking at the screen for that split second, I'll stop for a moment, like duh...I don't want to, its just a knee-jerk reaction. That's what put me off of P90x, I like his one on one's better. Cathe never stops, neither does Amy Bento and what I have from Ilaria, oh and my kettlebell favorites too. The only instructor I *excuse* is Shaun T. For some reason it doesn't throw me off when he does this. Go figure.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 08:40 PM  
jacs

Its ok if there is a clear purpose, like a useful form pointer, but if there is no real reason to stop, like in the biggest loser power walk, I feel like they just cant be bothered and find it very annoying.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:12 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp44 View Post
doesn't bother me in the least. It's pretty apparent from their bodies that they can do the workout they are leading.

I think of them as teachers not performers. Teachers don't take their own tests either.

joan
ITA!

In fact, I've started to actually prefer some of the "coach" type instructors to the 'do'-along instructors" (but this only goes for weight work and non-cardio workouts, except athletic plyo moves. Having an instructor stop in the middle of doing cardio would be very distracting).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor preferences, pet peeves