Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-11, 02:48 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
Doesn't bother me in the least. It's pretty apparent from their bodies that they can do the workout they are leading.

I think of them as teachers not performers. Teachers don't take their own tests either.

Joan
I agree!

I don't think twice about whether the instructor has stopped or not. What the instructor is or is not doing, has absolutely no effect on me personally. I'm worried about what I'm doing and the results I'm getting, not the instructor's.
Old 09-15-11, 02:54 PM  
txfitmom

I don't like it when instructors don't do the workout either. I somehow feel less motivated. I guess I like Cathe too for those same reasons, she actually busts out the moves and that makes me feel like I can do it too. I noticed the two new Tracey Staehle workouts have that same feel where there is a large group with instructors moving around and it totally kept me from buying. I guess most bootcamp workouts tend to be in that format. Seriously though, I wish CLX had been made without all of those pointers, instructions, or filler or whatever it is. I think my problem is that I get seriously distracted by excess talking or moving around unrelated to the workout. If there are too many distractions or is too long of a pause for setting up or instruction then I will get bored and go on to the next workout!
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:03 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't like it either. If you want me to see the correct way to do an exercise, demonstrate it. Don't stop and walk over to your backgrounder and show how she is doing it wrong.
Amen! I hate that.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:11 PM  
Kathleen86

It doesn't aggravate me..but it does throw me for a second. Especially Tony Horton in all the P90x cardio workouts..he stops so abruptly that I think the interval is done...it doesn't mess with my motivation too much though, I just jump back in. Cathe seems like super woman in all of her workouts to be able to talk and workout at the same time.
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:15 PM  
Just_Jo

Well, I don't like it either because I really get in the groove and usually only watch the instructor. So I don't want them stopping and moving around, I want them leading the workout so I can watch them and their proper form.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:15 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Doesn't bother me in the least. It's pretty apparent from their bodies that they can do the workout they are leading.

I think of them as teachers not performers. Teachers don't take their own tests either.

Joan
^ Me too, that.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:17 PM  
koinonia

It usually doesn't bother me except when there's only the instructor and no backups to follow along to. Like in Classical Stretch, I'm following Miranda's moves and sometimes she just stops to explain something, and I stop too even tho I'm not suppose to.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:28 PM  
Cammie-Cam

I'm not a *huge* fan of it, but once I know the workout after doing it a few times, I know when it's coming up so it's not so jarring. The stopping I don't mind so much, it's the sometimes yelling of instructions and "pointers" that bothers me. (I'm talking to YOU Jillian.)

I think Cathe might have some of us spoiled.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 04:55 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:

Joan
This......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 05:11 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
I realize that I actually get physical symptoms of anxiety when they stop; it completely takes me out of the zone and I have to give myself a pep talk to keep going (even if I'm not tired).
Me too! I thought there must be something wrong with me that it would have that much of an impact, so I'm happy to see that I'm not alone. The two cases I don't mind it are with yoga dvds of live classes (obviously) and Tanya Becker of P57 - I don't really know why I see her as an exception. I do dvds so that I can follow along, and I don't normally follow a background exerciser, so when the instructor stops maybe I just feel lost. But the feeling that they're cheating also comes up (even though rationally I know that they can and do do this and much tougher workouts).

Tags
instructor preferences, pet peeves