Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-11, 12:07 PM  
Fidget Queen

I Do NOT Like Instructors to Stop During the Workout

I guess this is a very nice way to reduce my wish lists. Based on the threads about Bob Harper's newest workouts, I went to Mary's site to watch clips for awhile. They look really good, but I can't handle when he stops to talk or correct form. Usually, the instructors stop for no discernible reason - it's just what they do. I realize that I actually get physical symptoms of anxiety when they stop; it completely takes me out of the zone and I have to give myself a pep talk to keep going (even if I'm not tired). Then, when they come back to the workout, they are completely off count and it throws everybody off (including me) yet again.

I dealt with this when I was doing CLX and Slim Series, because I truly loved the workouts. I'm not doing CLX anymore, but I won't get rid of Slim Series.

However, from now on, I will have to think very, very carefully about buying another workout where the instructor does this. There are too many instructors out there that offer great workouts and actually DO the workout themselves!

This has made me re appreciate Cathe, I have to say. I did Step, Jump & Pump yesterday and it felt like going home. It just flowed and it makes me feel comfortable (oh, and I don't mind her Hi/Lo in this one :P). I watched clips of the Firm Express Set, too, and that looks great. No stopping the workout!

It's great when I start figuring out what works and what doesn't for me. Reducing options is a good thing!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 12:25 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Me neither. Jari Love started doing that with her Extremely Ripped series. Instructors: If you don't want to do your own workout, why should I?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 12:30 PM  
Cassy

I agree I don't like it either. Really the corrections they are giving sometimes are just silly too which makes it worse. I can understand it must be hard to workout and talk but I'd rather have them do the modified version and have one of the background exercisers doing the advance.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 12:31 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

This is Jillian's SOP - maybe everyone is trying to copy her, since she owns the bestseller lists.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 12:38 PM  
bubbles76

I don't like it either. If you want me to see the correct way to do an exercise, demonstrate it. Don't stop and walk over to your backgrounder and show how she is doing it wrong.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 12:50 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't like it either. If you want me to see the correct way to do an exercise, demonstrate it. Don't stop and walk over to your backgrounder and show how she is doing it wrong.
True. I mean, shouldn't they be doing it right anyway if they are in a workout video?

I don't think I have any workouts that do that, with the exception of P90X. That really bugs me, too. I like it when instructors are doing it along with me, like we are all in it together.
Old 09-15-11, 02:15 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I could understand this in a live class where the instructor is teaching her/his fourth class of the day, but on video it really bugs me. I feel almost as if they're cheating somehow.
Old 09-15-11, 02:16 PM  
JP44

Doesn't bother me in the least. It's pretty apparent from their bodies that they can do the workout they are leading.

I think of them as teachers not performers. Teachers don't take their own tests either.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 02:17 PM  
MKEMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
I realize that I actually get physical symptoms of anxiety when they stop; it completely takes me out of the zone and I have to give myself a pep talk to keep going (even if I'm not tired).
Me too. I like the results I get from Slim Series enough to deal with it in those, but it actually makes whatever I'm doing feel more uncomfortable. It's crazy. I handle it a little better if the instructor keeps it "all business" or says very little, but Jillian drives me nuts. I like her workouts, but I have to mute her.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 02:38 PM  
TLB

This is a pet peeve of mine too. Glad I'm not the only one.

Bob Harper does this in the Power Walk video ..... I seriously don't think he was correcting anybody's form. He must be used to doing this on Biggest Loser (I've never watched, so I'm not sure).

"Try for progress, not perfection" Chris Freytag
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor preferences, pet peeves