Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-11, 12:22 PM  
yahoo205

i don't think it's good to be isolated where it's unsafe.

how about going to the track of a local high school or maybe a gym membership or treadmill
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:02 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
i don't think it's good to be isolated where it's unsafe.

how about going to the track of a local high school or maybe a gym membership or treadmill

I actually live right across the street from a high school track, but I don't know what their " rules " are in regards to outside people using it. I've been thinking of looking into it. I'm trying to get my husband to move my treadmill into the garage, but it's very heavy and my garage is very cluttered. It seems to be our second storage these days. Three kids + small house = no space! But am very thankful we own a house Maybe if I show my husband all your wonderful posts he'll think twice about trying to take the treadmill apart. Although it may make him want me to take the conceal and carry class even more. But I don't want to go there.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:03 PM  
flamingoo

It's sad that I have to be so worried about walking outside, but it's the world we live in. I'm nervous for my kids to walk to school sometimes. You just never know.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:11 PM  
Sara1000

These days no place is 100% safe but that wouldn't make me stay in the house. The isolated incidents we hear about on the news are really quite rare but hearing about them so often makes us feel like a serial killer is lurking around every corner.

Varying the route is VERY important, however.

Incidently, I jogged in our safe neighborhood early one morning and about an hour later a house blew up right where I had been running, spewing huge debree everywhere and damaging numerous other houses close by. It was from a gas leak. Fortunately only one person was seriously hurt and she recovered except for scars on her back, but no one was outside at the time as I would have been had I run later.

That didn't stop me from running in the neighborhood, however.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:26 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I would go with Leslie myself if I didn't have a treadmill. You might also consider rope jumping. You get a great workout in less time than running and you can do it in one spot. Do your runs on the weekends later in the day.
Old 08-18-11, 02:44 PM  
msladybug

I'd do neither. Your gut is already telling you that either isn't the safest....listen to your gut.

(Shauna May, my colledge best friend and roommate, was an outdoor runner/hiker....she was murdered by a serial killer while hiking.)

msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 03:48 PM  
Daphne M

To answer your question: I would opt for the route with more houses and families around.

More advice: I second the recommendation for a headlamp. I have used one for years on my 5 a.m. runs. Also walk so that you are facing oncoming traffic -- this gives you more time to see and react to cars. Most important, do NOT wear headphones. I repeat DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES. If you feel comfortable with it, you could also run with a can of pepper spray in your hand. (I used to have one with a little leather holder that was nifty.)

What's good about the morning: I mostly run with a girlfriend, but sometimes my morning runs are solo. When alone, I pay extra attention to my surroundings and I'm always a little jumpy. I steer clear of woods and cars. I've been running this early for about 15 years and I love it. Everything has a fresh feel to it and I see lots of deer, fox, coyote, rabbits, skunks and cats. (And I live in a well-developed suburb of Washington DC!)

HOWEVER If you feel unsafe on your walk, maybe some of these alternatives would work for you:.
(1) See if your husband can work out a baby-watching arrangement at a different time of day when you feel safer.
(2) Or try joining a gym with a nursery.
(3) Do you know any other moms with young kids? You might:
(a) approach others to see if they want to join you on your walk or
(b) see if you can find another parent who is willing to watch your kid if you'll watch hers/his; or
(c)even start your own Mommy Bootcamp. There's a bootcamp that meets in the church parking lot down the street from me at 6 a.m. and the flat empty space is perfect for doing drills and obtacle courses. All it takes is two of you. You might be startled to find out how many other women would join you in a workout if you initiate.

Final thought: If it's any comfort, I'd actually be surprised if too many weirdos are out trolling the streets at 4 a.m. Even perverts don't like to get up that early.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 05:07 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
[Most important, do NOT wear headphones. I repeat DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES.
Thank you for saying this! Wearing ear buds or headphones is my number one pet peeve regarding the safety of runners. I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to not be able to hear what is coming up behind you. It's a recipe for disaster! It doesn't matter if it's dark outside or not. Anytime you are running in a public place, you need to hear your surroundings!
Old 08-18-11, 05:13 PM  
lexybeth1

Lol, yes Roz, I actually can barely stand to watch Nancy Grace anymore, the sadness overwhelmed me and I cant bear the issues that she tends to, my heart is like jello, and it hurts too much Im really worried about you wanting to run now, I hope you decide against running in the dark alone..Im sorry I dont mean to seem like a drag, and I dont even know you , but as a fellow VFer and mommy I am going to recommend please reconsiderBe safe
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 05:32 PM  
2ndgen

Been reading this and it is good you (OP) are giving this good thought. I have walked/jogged outside very early in the morning often in a variety of locations and I have indeed over the years occasionally had incidents that might or might not be something (cars slowing and saying things, once a man shouting at me, etc.). I am well able to defend myself but that doesn't really mean a thing if someone wants to do something.

Nothing has ever really happened to me but at times when I feel uneasy, I go to the gym or a mall or work out inside.

I live in a hot climate and if I want to run or walk outside it has to be fairly early or late. It is too hot from midmorning to night during half the year.

My current gym is very affordable as it is subsidized by the city. It has an indoor walk/run track and all sorts of machines and weights. But I really don't feel like going there much, don't always want to see people that early.

But one thing I do when I just want to jog or walk is I simply do it indoors. I don't always feel like messing with DVDs or Leslie, so I walk or jog from my kitchen, through the living room to the exercise room, turnaround and do a return trip. Fifty-three round trips equal one mile (I've measured it lol).

Another thing I do sometimes is just walk/jog around the yard, driveway and/or right in front of my house and the immediate neighbor houses. They know I am out there.

Tags
outdoors, safety, walking, walking conditions