Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-11, 02:19 PM  
Sissy B

If you happen to be a member of a girl group - and yes, I'm pointing my finger at you Mel B - why not use your own songs instead of the canned elevator music that everyone else uses in their workouts? It may not be for everyone, but your fans will enjoy it.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 03:21 PM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
If you happen to be a member of a girl group - and yes, I'm pointing my finger at you Mel B - why not use your own songs instead of the canned elevator music that everyone else uses in their workouts? It may not be for everyone, but your fans will enjoy it.

~Sissy B
Mel B is charged guilty. The jury has decided that Mel B is to re-release her workout this time using her own music singles following the example of the Pussycat Dolls
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 03:53 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
I want a "Total Silence" option so I can have my own music and do not have to hear the instructor's comments.
Every workout has this- the mute button, or you can just turn the volume all the way down. I used this "option" with Barry's Bootcamp Upper Body, just this morning!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 06:35 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

This is why I switched to video games. So much better music, more options (like changing outfits and backgrounds), putting together your own workouts, and interactivity.

The Exercise TV music sets new standards in lameness!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 07:04 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Yeah, music is not something I notice, either.

Inane comment off would be my option off.
Kind of like the Less Tony option on P90X? I happen to like his inane comments, so I never use it, but I think it's funny - and I know it makes P90X bearable for some.

I don't notice music unless it's really rocking and fun, or totally awful. Anything in between I can tune out.

I'd like a less tifting option. If you feel you need to really break down the moves, do it in an instructional chapter. Let me do that once or twice, then let me go to town. I don't mind reasonable tifting - if the move is complicated, a few go-throughs are okay, but don't tift the easy stuff. Amy Bento drives me crazy with this (although, she is getting a lot better). She'll toss a complicated move at you and give you 2 tries to get it, then we'll do straddle knees for 16 reps in a row. THAT move I get. The jump, spin, jump, knee, kick, step, spin, knee one, I don't.
Old 07-06-11, 08:11 PM  
2ndgen

I really don't care about music. If I don't like it I turn the sound down and turn on my own music or just do it without sound. I don't do DVDs much anymore anyhow.
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 06:57 AM  
kat999

Sometimes I get to liking the cheesy music, especially if it's REALLY cheesy. Jillian's 30DS Level 1 has the same music as this realllllly cheap video game from about 10 years ago, so I figure she must've gotten a sweet deal on it, and it's kind of awful, but I also sort of love it.

What I hate more than bad music is music that's just bland and you can barely hear it anyway. It's just at that point like, "Really? Why don't you just not have ANY music if that's what you're going to do?" As an example, I just did an oldie the other night, Method Precision Toning with Jennifer Kries, and there's ZERO music during the instructional segments. It's actually kind of refreshing. In fact, I notice more pilates-based WOs have either no music or an option for no music. Some of the ETV pilates short WOs have no music, IIRC.
Old 07-07-11, 11:10 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni View Post
Christi Taylor - Please dissregard this thread....

The rest of you guys, LISTEN UP!
Taste in music is SO individual, isn't it? There are some songs in Christi's workouts that I have to mute the volume as I cringe (like "Dancing Queen," sorry, ABBA fans, I just HATE THAT SONG!). Some people like electronica (me, for one), some want "oldies" etc etc. Honestly I only notice when a song particularly annoys me or if I really like it (a lot of Patrick G's music really motivates me) but otherwise it's just background to me.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 04:24 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I don't mind reasonable tifting - if the move is complicated, a few go-throughs are okay, but don't tift the easy stuff. Amy Bento drives me crazy with this (although, she is getting a lot better). She'll toss a complicated move at you and give you 2 tries to get it, then we'll do straddle knees for 16 reps in a row. THAT move I get. The jump, spin, jump, knee, kick, step, spin, knee one, I don't.
Yes, that's my issue with Amy's form of "breakdown," too. I know she has started breaking down the complicated moves in a separate chapter, but then she throws in the whole shebang with a made-up term that means nothing unless you're intimately familiar with the move already, so I have to review the tutorial every time I pull out one of her videos. Why not throw a bone out by including just a hint of a verbal breakdown the first time through? I mean, just a "jump spin, knee kick, and repeat" would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
What I hate more than bad music is music that's just bland and you can barely hear it anyway. It's just at that point like, "Really? Why don't you just not have ANY music if that's what you're going to do?"
Stott Pilates is terrible with this sort of bland music which they might as well not even have. They even give you a music only option, after emphasizing over and over how important instruction is, but no music off option.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, music off option, pet peeves