Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-11, 08:30 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Question Need kettlebell workout rec's for DH

DH is moving up to a 20kg kbell (from a 16) and in search of more follow-along workouts. (DVD only - paper and online won't work for him.) He has:
~ Lauren Brooks' 1 and 2 (not getting 3, and no interest in TRX)
~ DiLuglio/Chamberlin's 1 and 2

I'm getting Atletica for variety and for me to try as well.

Apart from DiLuglio (whom DH likes a lot) who are other viable instructors and what is their specialty? DH is primarily interested in strength training rather than cardio. He hasn't clicked with Sarah Lurie's Iron Core series. (ETA - He's never tried Sarah's newer Bootcamp or Warrior workouts - are they tougher and do they move faster?) I kind of doubt he'd be interested in Bob Harper -- he's turned off by a lot of 'ego' if you know what I mean. (Tony Horton wasn't too popular in our home, lol.) How about Steve Cotter? Or anyone else?...

And if going for more DiLuglio, is Newport the next logical step? The clip I saw looked like it had more of a cardio focus which, again, is not DH's preference.

All suggestions are welcome - TIA!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 08:34 AM  
momofcha

What about Keith Webber? And why no Lauren Vol 3? There are 2 great workouts on there that don't use TRX? It adds in the variety of double kettlebell work as well. It's a great addition to add some variety IMHO.

I did Sarah's Warrior for the first time last week - it's good too. But I like the Iron Core's... It uses double bells as well in the 2nd volume.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 08:35 AM  
Missiscipi

I like Skogg System and is versatile (cardio, strength or both depending on the level you choose and bell size)
Keith Weber Extreme Kettlebell Cardio 1 or 2 are both great workouts but do move fast and are strength and cardio
Newport to me is more strength with a cardio effect.

Thats my opinion!
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 08:42 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

For what you are looking for I recommend Steve Cotter's Extreme Kettlebell workout. It's 4 DVDs with an upper body, lower body, abs/core and cardio circuit workout. Primarily strength work. Its pretty expensive though.

I really like AOS Firepower and think it is strength oriented as well although there is always a bit of cardio involved in kettlebell exercise IMO.
HTH
Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 08:45 AM  
violingal3

Not a KB expert, but I recently ran through all of Sarah's workouts. Her Bootcamp and Warrior are definitely faster paced with more compound movements. I actually prefer her Vol. 1 & 2 so I can heavy up and work at a steady pace.

I absolutely adore Bob's KB workouts - but again, I think they'd be more endurance based, even the sculpt workout brings a good bit of cardio work and I wouldn't go beyond a 15 or 20 lb KB. I don't think he's got much of an ego, but he does push you hard!

I was just previewing KB Goddess last night and have it on schedule for next week. Probably not your DH's style, but they seem like straight forward, no nonsense workouts where you can really increase your weight.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 08:45 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks Sue and Rozy! I'll look into all those.

Question about double kbells, which DH wants to start incorporating. He's using a 16kg for most moves, but goes lighter (14lb or 20lb) for windmills. For doubling up, do you think he should he go to 12kg, or is it safer to go even lighter? Not having seen videos that use 2 kbells, I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 04-14-11, 08:53 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thanks Sue and Rozy! I'll look into all those.

Question about double kbells, which DH wants to start incorporating. He's using a 16kg for most moves, but goes lighter (14lb or 20lb) for windmills. For doubling up, do you think he should he go to 12kg, or is it safer to go even lighter? Not having seen videos that use 2 kbells, I'm not sure what to expect.
I use a 35 or 45 lb for swings - but when I do doubles I only use a 26 lb. For snatches I use a 26 lb. and for doubles I go down to 18 lb. I would definitely go down a bell size when you start doing doubles.

Old 04-14-11, 08:55 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
For what you are looking for I recommend Steve Cotter's Extreme Kettlebell workout. It's 4 DVDs with an upper body, lower body, abs/core and cardio circuit workout. Primarily strength work. Its pretty expensive though.
I have this as well. I got mine off ebay and I don't remember it being that much? Certainly not more than the AoS ones... I have used it a handful of times and I do tend to use the cardio one the most.

Old 04-14-11, 08:56 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks, Leslie and Violingal! I'll see if I can find clips, etc.
ETA - Thanks Sue!
Old 04-14-11, 09:05 AM  
counterclockwise

I think Sarah Lurie's Warrior and Bootcamp are more strength focused and harder than Vol1/2. I really like Warrior/Bootcamp, but each of the workouts is one circuit repeated 4 times, so if he gets bored easily those might not work. I love to do the circuits 3 times instead of 4. Sarah is all business in these, and I think the set and music would be good for a guy.

I have Skogg but haven't done any of the workouts yet.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double kettlebell workout, kettlebell, kettlebell workouts